Collection Org. Lot 1368 - Oregon Journal Photographic Negatives

Throwing out the first pitch Band marches down city street Man at baseball stadium during pregame ceremonies Pregame ceremonies with Mission baseball team Baseball pregame ceremonies Portrait of man holding baseball during pregame ceremonies Three men on baseball diamond during pregame ceremonies Ceremony with George Baker, involving Hollywood team Men shake hands during ceremony on baseball field Ceremonial at-bat at Vaughn Street Park Home plate ceremony with George Baker Men gather with George Baker for ceremony at home plate George Baker and others on baseball field for home plate ceremony Ceremony at home plate Man stands at microphone during home plate ceremony George Baker and unidentified man hold flower arrangement at home plate ceremony Baseball game at Vaughn Street Park Batter at the plate during baseball game at Vaughn Street Park Crowd in stands at baseball game in Portland Crowd in stands at baseball game, Vaughn Street Park Baseball player for Bradford Clothes Shop Baseball player for Bradford Clothes Shop Baseball player for Hollywood Baseball player for Hollywood Baseball player for Hollywood Baseball players for Hollywood Baseball players for Hollywood Baseball players for Hollywood
Results 1 to 28 of 3060 Show all

Identity elements

Reference code

Org. Lot 1368

Name and location of repository

Level of description

Collection

Title

Oregon Journal Photographic Negatives

Date(s)

  • 1920 - 1945 (Creation)

Extent

8,478 negatives: 8,009 cellulose nitrate negatives and 469 safety negatives.

Name of creator

(1902-1982)

Administrative history

The Oregon Journal was an afternoon newspaper based in Portland, Oregon. Originally founded in March 1902 by Alfred D. Bowen under the name Evening Journal, Charles Samuel (“Sam”) Jackson purchased the newspaper that July and renamed it the Oregon Journal. Originally located in the Goodnaugh Building, the Journal’s offices moved to the Jackson Tower in 1912, where they remained until 1948, when the paper moved into the Public Market building on Portland’s waterfront. The Jackson family retained ownership of the paper until the death of C. S. Jackson’s son Philip in 1953.

The Journal was known for some innovations. It shipped additional issues to Oregon’s coastal towns during the summer months as a means of boosting circulation. It was also the first newspaper in the United States to own a helicopter, and its waterfront building included a helicopter pad.

The Journal was considered a rival to Portland’s other major newspaper, the Oregonian, throughout its existence. The Journal’s editorials favored the Democratic Party, in contrast with the Oregonian’s Republican leanings, and expressed what some labeled an anti-establishment tone. However, the two papers became intertwined as time went on. In the 1950s, the Journal began to suffer from revenue losses, and discussed the possibility of sharing production facilities with the Oregonian. For the first five months of the protracted Portland newspaper strike which began in 1959, the Journal and Oregonian published joint issues. In August 1961, the Oregonian Publishing Company, by then owned by newspaper mogul Samuel I. Newhouse, purchased the Journal for $8 million. With this sale, the Journal offices and production facilities merged with those of the Oregonian on SW Broadway, although the Journal retained its own editorial department and tone.

The Journal’s highest circulation was at 201,000 in March 1948. By 1982, circulation had reduced to a little more than 100,000, and the paper struggled to remain relevant in an age where afternoon newspapers were considered obsolete. The Journal published its final issue on September 6, 1982. The paper’s staff and production were then absorbed into the Oregonian.

Content and structure elements

Scope and content

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Due to the high-risk nature of the format, the Oregon Journal negatives are not available to the public for physical access.

Technical access

In Copyright http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
copyright held by Oregonian Publishing Group.

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

  • English

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information

Accruals

Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Org. Lot 1368, Box 371, Box 374, and Box 377, OHS Research Library.

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Oregon Journal photographs collection, 1902-1982: Org. Lot 1027, OHS Research Library, http://archiveswest.orbiscascade.org/ark:/80444/xv96038

Related descriptions

Notes element

General note

Funding for digitization of this collection was made possible by The Jackson Foundation

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places