Series Org. Lot 1368.L - Wartime industry, activities, and events

Dr. Charles Eaton during visit to Portland with Charles M. Schwab Civil defense organizations in formation at Multnomah Stadium, Portland Members of civil defense group on horseback at Multnomah Stadium, Portland? Members of Oregon Women’s Ambulance Corps in formation at Multnomah Stadium, Portland Members of civil defense organizations at Multnomah Stadium, Portland Members of Women’s Emergency Corps? at Multnomah Stadium, Portland Members of Oregon Women’s Ambulance Corps at Multnomah Stadium, Portland Charles Piez during visit to Portland to inspect shipbuilding operations Charles Piez speaking at Northwest Steel, Portland Charles M. Schwab during visit to Portland to inspect shipbuilding operations Charles M. Schwab touring shipyard with unidentified officials Charles M. Schwab speaking at Northwest Steel, Portland Emma Eurana Dinkey Schwab during visit to Portland with husband Charles M. Schwab Mrs. Charles Piez, Charles M. Schwab, Emma Eurana Dinkey Schwab, and Mary Mock in Portland Unidentified people posing with fire truck and sign for Fire Prevention Week Al Lake standing next to truck loaded with food during market at Albina Engine & Machine Work... L. R. Hussa and two unidentified men looking at diagram at Albina Engine & Machine Works George Rodgers, president of Albina Engine & Machine Works, Portland Albina Engine & Machine Works president George Rodgers at desk Albina Engine & Machine Works president George Rodgers looking at photographs Albina Engine & Machine Works president George Rodgers looking at diagram Albina Engine & Machine Works president George Rodgers in crane operator’s seat Albina Engine & Machine Works vice president L. R. Hussa at desk Albina Engine & Machine Works vice president L. R. Hussa holding tool Albina Engine & Machine Works vice president L. R. Hussa looking at ship part? Albina Engine & Machine Works vice president L. R. Hussa at desk Albina Engine & Machine Works vice president L. R. Hussa at desk Sid Woodbury IV and grandfather with Albina Engine & Machine Works president George Rodgers
Results 1 to 28 of 471 Show all

Identity elements

Reference code

Org. Lot 1368.L

Name and location of repository

Level of description

Series

Title

Wartime industry, activities, and events

Date(s)

  • 1942 - 1945 (Creation)
  • 1917 - 1918 (Creation)

Extent

Name of creator

(1902-1982)

Administrative history

The Oregon Journal was an afternoon newspaper based in Portland, Oregon. Originally founded in March 1902 by Alfred D. Bowen under the name Evening Journal, Charles Samuel (“Sam”) Jackson purchased the newspaper that July and renamed it the Oregon Journal. Originally located in the Goodnaugh Building, the Journal’s offices moved to the Jackson Tower in 1912, where they remained until 1948, when the paper moved into the Public Market building on Portland’s waterfront. The Jackson family retained ownership of the paper until the death of C. S. Jackson’s son Philip in 1953.

The Journal was known for some innovations. It shipped additional issues to Oregon’s coastal towns during the summer months as a means of boosting circulation. It was also the first newspaper in the United States to own a helicopter, and its waterfront building included a helicopter pad.

The Journal was considered a rival to Portland’s other major newspaper, the Oregonian, throughout its existence. The Journal’s editorials favored the Democratic Party, in contrast with the Oregonian’s Republican leanings, and expressed what some labeled an anti-establishment tone. However, the two papers became intertwined as time went on. In the 1950s, the Journal began to suffer from revenue losses, and discussed the possibility of sharing production facilities with the Oregonian. For the first five months of the protracted Portland newspaper strike which began in 1959, the Journal and Oregonian published joint issues. In August 1961, the Oregonian Publishing Company, by then owned by newspaper mogul Samuel I. Newhouse, purchased the Journal for $8 million. With this sale, the Journal offices and production facilities merged with those of the Oregonian on SW Broadway, although the Journal retained its own editorial department and tone.

The Journal’s highest circulation was at 201,000 in March 1948. By 1982, circulation had reduced to a little more than 100,000, and the paper struggled to remain relevant in an age where afternoon newspapers were considered obsolete. The Journal published its final issue on September 6, 1982. The paper’s staff and production were then absorbed into the Oregonian.

Content and structure elements

Scope and content

Photographs related to industrial, patriotic, and civil defense activities and events in Portland, Oregon during World War I and World War II. The bulk of these photographs were taken from 1942 to 1945 and depict people and activities at the Albina Engine & Machine Works shipyard. Other photographs document troops marching in a War Activities parade in April 1918; a visit by Charles M. Schwab and Charles Piez of the Emergency Fleet Corporation in July 1918; and a ceremony to present an Army-Navy "E" Award for wartime production to an unidentified organization between 1942 and 1945.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Due to the high-risk nature of the format, the Oregon Journal negatives are not available to the public for physical access.

Technical access

Org. Lot 1368, OHS Research Library

Conditions governing reproduction

In Copyright http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/; copyright held by Oregonian Publishing Group.

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information

Accruals

Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Org. Lot 1368, Boxes 371, 372, 375, 376, and 379.

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Org. Lot 1027, Oregon Journal Photographs Collection, Box 195, folders 34 and 35 (Albina Engine & Machine Works), http://archiveswest.orbiscascade.org/ark:/80444/xv96038

Org. Lot 512, Albina Engine & Machine Works Photographs Collection, http://librarycatalog.ohs.org/O90000/OPAC/Details/Record.aspx?BibCode=6092044

The Albina Subchaser, shipyard newspaper of Albina Engine & Machine Works, http://librarycatalog.ohs.org/O90000/OPAC/Details/Record.aspx?BibCode=4028038

Related descriptions

Notes element

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Archivist's note

Katie Mayer, digital project archivist, October 17, 2018.

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places