Subseries Org. Lot 1368.C.14 - Groups

Unidentified woman and Charles P. Howard on sidewalk, full-length portrait M. F. Anderson, John P. Hunt, Elizabeth Glatt, and A. D. Goddard Bailey and Bigelow, signing document George L. Baker, Charles Wakefield Cadman, and Frank C. Riggs in snow at Union Station, Portland George L. Baker, Charles Wakefield Cadman, and Frank C. Riggs at Union Station, Portland Walsh and Booth Mrs. Walter Burcey and Mrs. Roy Hunh Photographs of Burns and Wallace Byram and MacKenzie H. E. Byram? and group Charles Wakefield Cadman with two unidentified men Charles Wakefield Cadman with group of unidentified people Christoffer and O’Connell?, looking at document Commander Clark and Colonel Grayson Clyde and Miles Colby and wife with Hawkins Colby and wife with Hawkins and Donough Mrs. Bill Cook with two unidentified people Crookham and Kirkhan at table with microphone and typewriter Cullers and unidentified man on rooftop or balcony Cummings and Donough Joseph K. Carson, Baker, and Cummings Dana and Waite Judges C. H. McCulloch and Robert G. Morrow at Multnomah County Courthouse, Portland Jack Day and Baker Jack Day and Baker Jack Day and Robert Duncan? outside building Donough and Newman? at desk, looking at document
Results 1 to 28 of 270 Show all

Identity elements

Reference code

Org. Lot 1368.C.14

Name and location of repository

Level of description

Subseries

Title

Groups

Date(s)

Extent

Name of creator

(1902-1982)

Administrative history

The Oregon Journal was an afternoon newspaper based in Portland, Oregon. Originally founded in March 1902 by Alfred D. Bowen under the name Evening Journal, Charles Samuel (“Sam”) Jackson purchased the newspaper that July and renamed it the Oregon Journal. Originally located in the Goodnaugh Building, the Journal’s offices moved to the Jackson Tower in 1912, where they remained until 1948, when the paper moved into the Public Market building on Portland’s waterfront. The Jackson family retained ownership of the paper until the death of C. S. Jackson’s son Philip in 1953.

The Journal was known for some innovations. It shipped additional issues to Oregon’s coastal towns during the summer months as a means of boosting circulation. It was also the first newspaper in the United States to own a helicopter, and its waterfront building included a helicopter pad.

The Journal was considered a rival to Portland’s other major newspaper, the Oregonian, throughout its existence. The Journal’s editorials favored the Democratic Party, in contrast with the Oregonian’s Republican leanings, and expressed what some labeled an anti-establishment tone. However, the two papers became intertwined as time went on. In the 1950s, the Journal began to suffer from revenue losses, and discussed the possibility of sharing production facilities with the Oregonian. For the first five months of the protracted Portland newspaper strike which began in 1959, the Journal and Oregonian published joint issues. In August 1961, the Oregonian Publishing Company, by then owned by newspaper mogul Samuel I. Newhouse, purchased the Journal for $8 million. With this sale, the Journal offices and production facilities merged with those of the Oregonian on SW Broadway, although the Journal retained its own editorial department and tone.

The Journal’s highest circulation was at 201,000 in March 1948. By 1982, circulation had reduced to a little more than 100,000, and the paper struggled to remain relevant in an age where afternoon newspapers were considered obsolete. The Journal published its final issue on September 6, 1982. The paper’s staff and production were then absorbed into the Oregonian.

Content and structure elements

Scope and content

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

In Copyright http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/ Copyright held by Oregonian Publishing Group.

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information

Accruals

Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places