Subseries Org. Lot 1368.G.2 - Federal government

Herbert Hoover at Benson Hotel, Portland Secretary of War George Henry Dern with wreath at cenotaph, Multnomah Stadium, Portland Secretary of War George Henry Dern Secretary of War George Henry Dern and Major General Malin Craig Secretary of War George Henry Dern, Brigadier General James Kelly Parsons, and Major General Mali... Secretary of War George Henry Dern, Brigadier General James Kelly Parsons, Major General Malin Cr... Native people ride in commemorative pageant in Meacham, Oregon Franklin D. Roosevelt and crowd seated on stage at Portland Civic Auditorium President Franklin D. Roosevelt, James Roosevelt, Governor Julius L. Meier, and Congressman Charl... Franklin D. Roosevelt and crowd at Union Station in Portland Franklin D. Roosevelt, Chief Jobe Colwash, and crowd at Western Washington state fair Covered wagons in commemorative pageant in Meacham, Oregon President Warren G. Harding addressing crowd in Meacham, Oregon First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt speaking to unidentified people at Bonneville dam site. President Franklin D. Roosevelt arriving to give speech at Bonneville dam construction site First Lady Florence Harding, President Warren G. Harding, and Governor Walter M. Pierce in Meacha... President Franklin D. Roosevelt, Congressman Charles H. Martin, and First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt ... First Lady Florence Harding on reviewing stand? in Meacham, Oregon President Warren G. Harding and First Lady Florence Harding, riding in car during parade in Portland Crowd surrounding Franklin D. Roosevelt’s car at Union Station in Portland President Franklin D. Roosevelt in car at Bonneville dam site President Franklin D. Roosevelt, Congressman Charles H. Martin, and First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt ... Franklin D. Roosevelt posing with Joseph Zdenek, Charles H. Martin, and Walter B. Gleason First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt at Bonneville dam construction site President Franklin D. Roosevelt, Congressman Charles H. Martin, and Governor Julius L. Meier in p... Franklin D. Roosevelt speaking at Portland Civic Auditorium during campaign visit President Warren G. Harding saluting during visit to Portland President Warren G. Harding and group leaving Hahnemann hospital in Portland
Results 1 to 28 of 109 Show all

Identity elements

Reference code

Org. Lot 1368.G.2

Name and location of repository

Level of description

Subseries

Title

Federal government

Date(s)

  • 1910 - 1947 (Creation)

Extent

Name of creator

(1902-1982)

Administrative history

The Oregon Journal was an afternoon newspaper based in Portland, Oregon. Originally founded in March 1902 by Alfred D. Bowen under the name Evening Journal, Charles Samuel (“Sam”) Jackson purchased the newspaper that July and renamed it the Oregon Journal. Originally located in the Goodnaugh Building, the Journal’s offices moved to the Jackson Tower in 1912, where they remained until 1948, when the paper moved into the Public Market building on Portland’s waterfront. The Jackson family retained ownership of the paper until the death of C. S. Jackson’s son Philip in 1953.

The Journal was known for some innovations. It shipped additional issues to Oregon’s coastal towns during the summer months as a means of boosting circulation. It was also the first newspaper in the United States to own a helicopter, and its waterfront building included a helicopter pad.

The Journal was considered a rival to Portland’s other major newspaper, the Oregonian, throughout its existence. The Journal’s editorials favored the Democratic Party, in contrast with the Oregonian’s Republican leanings, and expressed what some labeled an anti-establishment tone. However, the two papers became intertwined as time went on. In the 1950s, the Journal began to suffer from revenue losses, and discussed the possibility of sharing production facilities with the Oregonian. For the first five months of the protracted Portland newspaper strike which began in 1959, the Journal and Oregonian published joint issues. In August 1961, the Oregonian Publishing Company, by then owned by newspaper mogul Samuel I. Newhouse, purchased the Journal for $8 million. With this sale, the Journal offices and production facilities merged with those of the Oregonian on SW Broadway, although the Journal retained its own editorial department and tone.

The Journal’s highest circulation was at 201,000 in March 1948. By 1982, circulation had reduced to a little more than 100,000, and the paper struggled to remain relevant in an age where afternoon newspapers were considered obsolete. The Journal published its final issue on September 6, 1982. The paper’s staff and production were then absorbed into the Oregonian.

Content and structure elements

Scope and content

Photographs of federal government officials and events including presidents, congress members, and political rallies and campaign events

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Due to the high-risk nature of the format, Oregon Journal negatives are not available to the public for physical access

Technical access

Org. Lot 1368, Box 371 and 377, OHS Research Library

Conditions governing reproduction

In Copyright http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/ ; Copyright held by Oregonian Publishing Group.

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information

Accruals

Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places