Showing 113 results

Collections
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

113 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

10th and Washington streets, downtown Portland

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing cars and buildings along Washington Street (now Southwest Washington Street) in Portland. The photograph was taken at the intersection of Washington and 10th Street (now Southwest 10th Avenue) and the view is to the southeast. On the left side of the image is a sign for the Northwestern Electric Co., located in the Pittock Block. A sign for The Hazelwood restaurant is visible on the building in the foreground at right.

Addition under construction at Montgomery Ward, Portland

Photograph showing an addition under construction at the Montgomery Ward warehouse in Portland in March 1936. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 5, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, March 29, 1936, under the headline “Pouring Third Floor Block at Ward’s.” The photograph had the following caption: “Building activity is at high gear on this $750,000 project at Montgomery Ward & Co. mail order and retail center at N. W. 27th avenue and Vaughn Street, as 150 men push the nine-story addition into the air.” The photograph accompanied a story headlined “Montgomery Ward Project On Schedule.” Image note: The text “Mont - Ward 3/26/36” is written on the negative and is faintly visible in the lower right corner of the image.

Artisans Building, Broadway and Oak, Portland

Photograph showing the Artisans Building at the northwest corner of Broadway and Oak (now Southwest Broadway and Southwest Oak Street) in Portland. The Lumbermens Trust Company is on the ground floor. The photograph was taken from a high angle on the southeast corner of the intersection.

Auto glass shop at corner of Southeast 7th Avenue near Morrison?, Portland

Photograph showing a two-story building on a corner of Southeast Seventh Avenue in Portland, possibly near Southeast Morrison Street. On the ground floor of the building is an auto-glass shop. At left center are directional signs pointing to the Morrison Bridge and City Center. At far left are billboards advertising paint and Camel cigarettes.

Building at 16th and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph of a seven-story building at the corner of 16th and Yamhill streets (now Southwest 16th Avenue and Southwest Yamhill Street) in Portland. A sign for the Hotel Mallory is visible at upper right. Image note: Photograph quality is poor due to extensive deterioration of the negative.

Building at Southeast Union Avenue and Southeast Alder Street, Portland

Photograph showing a two-story building at the corner of Southeast Union Avenue (now Southeast Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard) and Southeast Alder Street in Portland. The view is to the east along Alder. On the corner of the building are signs reading “ORE-WA Packing Co.” “W. W. Swank Co. / 401 / Brokers / 401.” At center is a sign for J. L. Austin Sheet Metal Works. See related image No. 372A1223. Image note: Light leak on negative.

Building at Southeast Union Avenue and Southeast Alder Street, Portland

Photograph showing a two-story building at the corner of Southeast Union Avenue (now Southeast Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard) and Southeast Alder Street in Portland. On the corner of the building are signs reading “ORE-WA Packing Co.” and “W. W. Swank Co. / 401 / Brokers / 401.” At far left is the building depicted in image No. 372A1217. See related image No. 372A1223. Image note: Light leak on negative.

Building on Southeast Washington Street and Southeast Union Avenue, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior a two-story building on the corner of Southeast Washington Street and Southeast Union Avenue in Portland. Union Avenue is now Southeast Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. A carpenter’s shop is on the ground floor, and the street number 380 is visible in the shop’s front window. On the side of the building is a sign reading “Take Bromo-Seltzer for headaches.” Image note: Light leak on negative.

Carstens Packing Company, Front Street, Portland

Photograph, taken from across the street, showing a truck parked outside a three-story brick building on Front Street between Stark and Washington in downtown Portland. A sign on the front of the building reads “Carstens Packing Co.” A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Original home of Ladd & Tilton Bank on Front Street / The first two stories were Portland’s first brick building / Built in 1853.” Wharton reported that the third story had been added later. See related image Nos. 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Congress Hotel building, 6th and Main, Portland

Photograph showing the Congress Hotel building at 6th and Main streets (now Southwest 6th Avenue and Southwest Main Street) in Portland. On the ground floor is the Keaton Tire & Rubber Co. The photograph was taken on Main Street and the view is toward the east. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Delivery trucks parked outside Western Packing Company, Portland

Photograph showing two delivery trucks parked outside the Western Packing Company in Portland. An unidentified man is standing next to the truck on the right. A sign at over the open doors of the loading area reads “Western Packing Co. / Fresh and cured meats.” A sign on the right side of the doors reads “Manufacturers of … High Grade Sausage / Luncheon Meats.”

Demolition of Portland High School building

Photograph showing demolition of the tower of the Portland High School building on August 11, 1928. Heavy trucks pulled down the tower with lines attached to the building. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 9 of the Oregon Journal on August 12, 1928, under the headline “School Tower Razed.” The photograph had the following caption: “Saturday the ornate tower that has thrust upward from the old Portland high school at 14th and Morrison streets was pulled down by workmen wrecking the building. It has become endeared to thousands since its erection in 1883.” Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Esmond rooming house, Front and Morrison, Portland

Photograph showing a four-story building on Front and Morrison streets (now Southwest Morrison Street) in Portland. The building has bay windows on the second and third floors. On the ground floor is a sign for Oregon Sheet Metal Works. The 1905 Morrison Bridge is partially visible in the background. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Last wing of the New Esmond Hotel - Front & Morrison Sts.” The story reported that the hotel opened in 1878, but only the portion of the building shown in this photograph remained in 1928, and it operated as the Esmond rooming house. See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Results 1 to 28 of 113