Showing 20 results

Collections
glass plate negatives With digital objects
Print preview View:

Photograph of 5th Street?, downtown Portland

Photograph of a picture of a city street, possibly 5th Street (now Southwest Fifth Avenue) in Portland. The picture, taken from a high vantage, shows buildings and streetcars. The building at left may be the Meier & Frank building at 5th and Morrison. At bottom center is a sign for Moore’s Cafeteria.

Laurelhurst Club, East Ankeny Street, Portland

Photograph, taken from across the street, showing the front of the Laurelhurst Club at 1125 East Ankeny Street (now 3721 East Ankeny Street) in Portland. A car with an unidentified person in the driver’s seat is parked on the street outside the clubhouse. The view is to the north.

Journal Building, Broadway and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph, taken from a high vantage, showing the northwest corner of the Journal Building and part of the intersection of Yamhill and Broadway in Portland (now Southwest Yamhill Street and Southwest Broadway). The Oregon Journal occupied the building from 1912 until 1948; it is now known as the Jackson Tower.

Frank J. Cobbs house and grounds, Montgomery Drive, Portland

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing the grounds and Jacobethan home of Frank J. Cobbs during construction in 1918. The home, located at what is now 2424 SW Montgomery Drive in Portland, was designed by architect Albert E. Doyle. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 373G0503 were published on Page 22 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, July 7, 1918. The photographs were published under the headline “Handsome Cobbs Home Nears Completion.” The pictures had the following caption: “Beautiful new home being built on Montgomery Drive for Frank J. Cobbs at a cost of approximately $150,000.” The photographs accompanied a story about the home.

Frank J. Cobbs house, Montgomery Drive, Portland

Photograph, taken from the road, showing the Jacobethan home of Frank J. Cobbs during construction in 1918. The home, located at what is now 2424 SW Montgomery Drive in Portland, was designed by architect Albert E. Doyle. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 373G0502 were published on Page 22 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, July 7, 1918. The photographs were published under the headline “Handsome Cobbs Home Nears Completion.” The pictures had the following caption: “Beautiful new home being built on Montgomery Drive for Frank J. Cobbs at a cost of approximately $150,000.” The photographs accompanied a story about the home.

First Presbyterian Church, Portland

Photograph, possibly from a copy negative, showing First Presbyterian Church at 3rd and Washington in Portland. At the front of a church is a three-story square tower. Visible in the upper left corner is the handwritten text “First Presbyterian Church. / N. W. cor. 3rd & Washington sts.” Below that is a date that could be either “July, 1881” or “July, 1887.” Image note: Light leak on negative.

Gordon Building, 4th and Stark, Portland

Photograph showing a two-story brick building at the corner of Fourth and Stark streets (now Southwest Fourth Avenue and Southwest Stark Street) in Portland. On the ground floor is the Peoples Bank; on the upper floor is the Northern Livestock Loan Company. Parked cars are lining the street next to the building. A cropped version of this photograph was one of two, along with image No. 373G0451, was published on Page 1, Section 3, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, April 25, 1920, under the headline “Bank Has Long Lease on Gordon Building.” The photograph had the following caption: “Structure at Fourth and Stark streets receives finishing touches and tenants celebrate opening. Above—New Gordon building.” Also see related image No. 373G0443.

Gordon Building, 4th and Stark, Portland

Photograph showing a two-story brick building at the corner of Fourth and Stark streets (now Southwest Fourth Avenue and Southwest Stark Street) in Portland. On the ground floor is the Peoples Bank; on the upper floor is the Northern Livestock Loan Company. Parked cars are lining the street next to the building. A nearly identical photograph, image No. 373G0442, and image No. 373G0451 were published on Page 1, Section 3, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, April 25, 1920, under the headline “Bank Has Long Lease on Gordon Building.” The similar photograph had the following caption: “Structure at Fourth and Stark streets receives finishing touches and tenants celebrate opening. Above—New Gordon building.”

Artisans Building, Broadway and Oak, Portland

Photograph showing the Artisans Building at the northwest corner of Broadway and Oak (now Southwest Broadway and Southwest Oak Street) in Portland. The Lumbermens Trust Company is on the ground floor. The photograph was taken from a high angle on the southeast corner of the intersection.

Masonic Temple, West Park Street, Portland

Photograph of the Masonic Temple on West Park Street (now Southwest Park Avenue) in Portland. The photograph was taken at the intersection of Park and Madison Street. The streets next to the building are lined with parked cars. The building is now part of the Portland Art Museum and is known as the Mark Building. See related image No. 371N5383.