Print preview Close

Showing 322 results

Collections
Oregon Journal Photographic Negatives Oregon glass plate negatives With digital objects
Print preview View:

Fenton Building, Sixth Street, Portland

Photograph showing the front exterior of the Fenton Building on Sixth Street (now Southwest Sixth Avenue) in Portland. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 1, Section 3, of the Oregon Journal’s city edition on Sunday, March 13, 1921, under the headline “Fenton Building Sold.” The photograph had the following caption: “Structure on East Side of Sixth Street between Stark and Oak, purchased by Dundas & Martin company and subsidiary concerns.” The photograph accompanied a story about the sale, headlined “Fenton Building Is Purchased By Financial Group.” According to the story, “The Fenton building is a six-story and full basement brick structure built by Judge [William D.] Fenton in 1906 on a 50x100-foot lot on the east side of Sixth street between Stark and Oak, near the center of the present ‘financial row.’ The upper floors are devoted to offices, while the ground floor is occupied by retail stores.”

Four members of Royal Rosarians

Full-length portrait of four unidentified men facing front. They are wearing matching suits and hats with the words “Royal Rosarians” on the front. The photograph may have been taken in the courtyard of the Portland Hotel, located in the block that is now Pioneer Courthouse Square.

Royal Rosarians doffing hats

Full-length portrait of eight members of the Royal Rosarians standing in a row and facing to the left. They are wearing matching suits, and each man is doffing his hat. The photograph may have been taken in the courtyard of the Portland Hotel, located in the block that is now Pioneer Courthouse Square.

Rivera School

Photograph showing the Rivera School in the Rivera-Dunthorpe district south of Portland. At right, an unidentified person is tending a shrub at the corner of the building. A cropped version of this photograph was one of two that were published on Page 10 of the Oregon Journal’s city edition on Saturday, April 16, 1921, under the headline “Model Grounds for Model School.” This photograph had the following caption: “Residents of Rivera-Dunthorpe district of west side spent last Saturday improving premises of Rivera school, built by residents as a community enterprise, along modern ideas of making an ideal ‘country’ school. Above—View of Rivera school building showing roofed playground.”

Captain J. Yawata of ocean liner Anyo Maru

Head and shoulders portrait of Captain J. Yawata of the ocean liner Anyo Maru. He is facing to the right and is wearing a visor cap and overcoat. The photograph was probably taken on January 17, 1921, when the Anyo Maru was in Portland. The text “Anyo Maru and Capt. J. Yawata” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image Nos. 376G0118 and 376G0119.

Ocean liner Anyo Maru moored at Municipal Terminal No. 4, Portland

Photograph showing the ocean liner Anyo Maru moored at Municipal Terminal No. 4 in Portland. Next to the ship is a barge loaded with lumber. A cropped and reversed version of this photograph was one of three that were published on the front page of the Oregon Journal’s city edition on Monday, January 17, 1921, under the headline “Anyo Maru, 18,500 Tons, Biggest Ship Ever In Portland Harbor.” This photograph had the following caption: “When the great Toyo Kaisen Kaisha Japanese liner Anyo Maru made fast to her pier at municipal Terminal No. 4 today, another shipping record for Portland was made. The big ship is 470 long and has a beam of 60 feet, will drawn more than 30 feet when she leaves down this week with freight, passengers, and mail for Japan. The top picture shows the Anyo Maru at Terminal No. 4, where she is loading cargo both from her pier and from barges.” The photographs accompanied a story headlined “Anyo Maru, Huge Mail Ship, In Port.” The text “Anyo Maru and Capt. J. Yawata” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image Nos. 376G0117 and 376G0119.

Captain J. Yawata of ocean liner Anyo Maru

Full-length portrait of Captain J. Yawata of the ocean liner Anyo Maru. He is facing to the right and is wearing an overcoat and visor cap. The photograph was probably taken on January 17, 1921, when the Anyo Maru was in Portland. The text “Anyo Maru and Capt. J. Yawata” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image Nos. 376G0117 and 376G0118.

Crown of Seville moored in Portland

Photograph showing a ship, the Crown of Seville, moored at a pier on the Willamette River in Portland. The text “S. S. Crown of Seville” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image No. 376G0128. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Steamship English Monarch moored at Montgomery Dock No. 2, Portland

Photograph showing the steamer English Monarch moored at Montgomery Dock No. 2 in Portland in September 1912. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 10 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, September 15, 1912, under the headline “British Steamer to Load 260,00 Bushels of Wheat Here.” The photograph had the following caption: “The British steamer, English Monarch, Captain Walker, which arrived in port last week from British Columbia to load wheat for the United Kingdom under charter to Balfour, Guthrie, & Co. She is the first of the grain steamers to arrive here for the new crop season, and she will take out over 260,000 bushels of wheat. On her arrival at Montgomery dock No. 2, Frank Wilson, a watchman over the Chinese crew, fell dead as he was picking up a mooring line on the dock. The English Monarch will take out one of the largest cargoes of wheat that has been set afloat on a steamer here.” Image note: The text “British steamer English Monarch” is written on the negative and is visible on the left side of the image. The text “S. S. English Monarch” is written on the negative sleeve.

Steamship Monadnock moored at Crown Mills dock in Portland

Photograph showing the steamer Monadnock, based in Bristol, moored at the Crown Mills dock on the Willamette River in Portland. The number 147 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper right corner of the image. The text “#99” was etched onto the negative but then crossed out. The text “S. S. Monadnock, Bristol” is written on the negative sleeve. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Oil tanker Swiftscout after launch on Willamette River, Portland

Photograph showing a group of people standing at the bow of the oil tanker Swiftscout after its launch on the Willamette River in Portland on Saturday, March 12, 1921. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 376G0104 were published on Page 13, Section 3, of the Oregon Journal’s city edition on Sunday, March 13, 1921. The photographs were published under the headline “Boy Scouts Christen Big Oil Tanker.” This photograph had the following caption: “ ‘Swiftscout,’ the oil tanker launched Saturday under the sponsorship of the Portland Council of Boy Scouts.” The photographs accompanied a story, headlined “Boy Scouts Put In Charge Of Ship Launching.” According to the story, the ship was one of four oil tankers to be constructed for the Swiftsure Oil Transport Company. See additional related image No. 376G0105. Image note: Upper right corner of negative is broken off.

Boy Scout Harold Adams christening oil tanker Swiftscout in Portland

Photograph showing a teenage boy facing the bow of an oil tanker, the Swiftscout, and holding a bottle wrapped in ribbons. An unidentified man is next to him at right. The photograph was taken on Saturday, March 12, 1921, at the launching of the Swiftscout in Portland. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 376G0103 were published on Page 13, Section 3, of the Oregon Journal’s city edition on Sunday, March 13, 1921. The photographs were published under the headline “Boy Scouts Christen Big Oil Tanker.” This photograph had the following caption: “Harold Adams, member of troop 49, who christened the ‘Swiftscout.” The photographs accompanied a story headlined “Boy Scouts In Charge Of Ship Launching.” According to the story, Adams was “the Boy Scout who has advanced farthest in scouting in Portland,” and the bottle he his holding was filled with water from Wahtum Lake. See additional related image No. 376G0105. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Boy Scout Harold Adams christening oil tanker Swiftscout in Portland

Photograph showing Boy Scout Harold Adams of Troop 49 standing next to the bow of the new oil tanker Swiftscout and holding a bottle wrapped in ribbons. An unidentified man is next to him at right. The photograph was taken on Saturday, March 12, 1921, at the launching of the Swiftscout in Portland. Adams christened the new ship. The Oregon Journal published two photographs, image Nos. 376G0103 and 376G0104, and a story about the launching on Page 13, Section 3, of the city edition on Sunday, March 13, 1921. According to the story, headlined “Boy Scouts In Charge Of Ship Launching,” Adams was “the Boy Scout who has advanced farthest in scouting in Portland,” and the bottle he his holding was filled with water from Wahtum Lake.

Crowd aboard pleasure steamer Blue Bird

Photograph showing a crowd of people on the docked pleasure boat Blue Bird. A sign on the dock reads “Dance Boat Blue Bird / Happiness N’ Everything / Leaves Every Eve, 9 P. M. / Sundays 8 P.M. / The Floating Palace of the Willamette / Open to the Public.”

1888 Oregon City suspension bridge?

Photograph, taken from one end, showing a wooden suspension bridge, probably the 1888 bridge over the Willamette River between West Linn and Oregon City. That bridge was replaced with the current arch bridge in 1922. The text “Bridges - Clackamas County” is written on the negative sleeve. Image note: Light leak on negative.

1888 Oregon City suspension bridge?

Photograph, taken from one end, showing a wooden suspension bridge, probably the 1888 bridge over the Willamette River between West Linn and Oregon City. That bridge was replaced with the current arch bridge in 1922. The text “Bridges - Clackamas County” is written on the negative sleeve. Image note: Light leak on negative.

Covered bridge, Clackamas County, Oregon

Photograph showing an unidentified covered bridge over a river and the trestle leading to the bridge. The trestle and bridge are surrounded by forest. The text “Bridges - Clackamas County” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image No. 376G0146.

Portland Rose Festival Queen Nina Kitts and King Mac Lewis

Photograph showing Rose Festival Queen Nina Kitts and King Mac Lewis riding in an open-topped car and raising their clasped hands. The photograph was taken on June 13 or 14, 1917. A cropped version of this photograph was published on the front page of the Journal on Thursday, June 14, 1917. See related image Nos. 376G0105, 376G0106, 376G0154, 376G0155, 376G0156, 376G0157, 376G0158, and 376G0159.

Portland Rose Festival Queen Nina Kitts and King Mac Lewis

Photograph showing Portland Rose Festival Queen Nina Kitts and King Mac Lewis, probably while riding in a car. The photograph was taken on June 13 or 14, 1917. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 8, Section 3 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, June 17, 1917, under the headline “Little Folks Rule Portland’s Eleventh Annual Rose Festival With Regal Splendor.” This photograph had the following caption: “Their majesties Mac Lewis (king) and Nina Kitts (queen) in their royal robes.” See related image Nos. 376G0105, 376G0106, 376G0153, 376G0155, 376G0156, 376G0157, 376G0158, and 376G0159.

Results 169 to 196 of 322