Photograph showing a bronze statue, “Coming of the White Man,” depicting Chief Multnomah and a younger man looking toward the Columbia River gap. The figure of Chief Multnomah stands with his arms crossed, while the younger man holds a branch aloft, gesturing toward the river and approaching white men. The statue is located in Portland’s Washington Park. The family of former Portland Mayor David Thompson gave the money for the statue, which was sculpted by Hermon Atkins MacNeil and completed in 1904. A cropped version of this photograph was one of 13 that were published on Page 1, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, March 10, 1929. The photographs were part of a “motorlog” describing a car trip around Portland to view public art. The spread included photographs of the statues and the car driven on the trip; a map of the route; and a story, headlined “Memorials Grace City / Notable Works of Art Adorn Parks and Plazas of Portland, as Motorlog Shows.” The photographs were published under their own headline and subheading: “Portland’s Statues Viewed Via Motor / Delightful Drive in Reo Flying Cloud over Route that Includes Locations of Twelve of Portland’s Art Treasures.” The tour began and ended at the Journal Building at Southwest Broadway and Yamhill in downtown Portland. “Coming of the White Man” was stop number 6 on the trip. See related image Nos. 371N5421, 371N5422, 371N5461, 371N2899, 371N2900, and 371N2901, which were also part of the spread.