Print preview Close

Showing 699 results

Collections
Multnomah County (Or.) black-and-white negatives
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

699 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Pioneer courthouse

Pioneer Courthouse, photographed from the roof of the building just north of the YMCA at Sixth Avenue and Yamhill Street. Taken Oct. 16, 1938. Also known as the Pioneer Post Office.

White, Minor

Pioneer courthouse

Pioneer Courthouse, photographed from the YMCA Building at Sixth Avenue and Yamhill Street. Taken Oct. 16, 1938. Also known as the Pioneer Post Office.

White, Minor

Pioneer courthouse

Pioneer Courthouse, photographed from the YMCA Building at Sixth Avenue and Yamhill Street. Taken Oct. 16, 1938. Also known as the Pioneer Post Office.

White, Minor

Cook Building door

Cast-iron details of doorway to Cook’s Building, located on the east side of Front Avenue, directly across from Vine Street. Taken October 16, 1938.

White, Minor

Front Avenue

Front Avenue looking south from the Burnside Bridge, Oct. 16, 1938. The 1st building from the left was the Johnson and Spaulding Building, followed by the Johnson Building, Dodd Block, and Cook’s Building. On Front Avenue, between Ash and Pine.

White, Minor

Miles Building details

A woman walks into the Miles Building, constructed in 1857, on the SW corner of Front Avenue and Pine Streets. Taken October 20, 1938. Looking west up Pine from Front Avenue, Kamm Building in background.

White, Minor

Broadway Bridge

View of the Broadway Bridge with open spans over the Willamette River. Taken October 25, 1938. The Broadway Bridge is a Rall-type double-leaf bascule drawbridge.

White, Minor

Snow Building Details

Details of cast-iron work on the Snow Building on Front Avenue, between Oak and Pine Streets. Taken December 13, 1938.

White, Minor

Ladd Building Details

Cast-iron doorway of the Ladd and Tilton Bank Building on Front Avenue between Washington and Stark Streets. Taken December 13, 1938. Built in 1853 for W.S. Ladd, this was the 1st brick building in Portland and at the time White photographed it, the oldest commercial building in the city. In 1859, the Ladd and Tilton Bank opened on its second floor.

White, Minor

Cast-iron pilaster

207 Front Avenue. Street address indicates this is likely a pilaster from the Barnhart Building. Foundry mark reads “California Foundry SF.” Weeds grow out of exterior wall. Taken November 10, 1938. Same subject as Negative No. 390120-2 and Negative No. 381110-3.

White, Minor

Barnhart and Miles Buildings

Demolition of the Barnhart and Miles buildings on Front Avenue and Pine Street. Starr Block on the left. A sign on the side of a building advertises the J.J. Ross Mill. A pile of debris sits on the sidewalk. Same subject as Negative No. 390120-2.

White, Minor

Building on Dekum and Reed Block

View of the Dekum and Reed Block, located on Front Avenue and Ankeny Street. Photo taken from south side of Burnside Bridge on February 12, 1939. An automobile is parked on the street and the Willamette River is visible in the background. Also visible are signs for a creamery and Golden Glow Beer & Ale.

White, Minor

Demolition of Dekum & Reed Block

Demolition of the Dekum and Reed Block, west side of Front Avenue at Ankeny Street, with the city of Portland in the background. Photographed from the upper floors of the Johnson Building on the east side of Front Avenue. Many Portland buildings and signs are visible. Signs include “Portland Trust,” “76 Union Gasoline,” “R.R. Poppleton Motors,” and “General Electric Motors.” Taken February 26, 1939.

White, Minor

Kamm, Barnhart, and Miles Building demolitions

The Barnhart Building has been demolished, while the Miles Building and Kamm Block are visible in the background. Looking across Front Avenue towards Pine Street. “For Lease” signs in the window. Taken February 26, 1939.

White, Minor

Doorway on Kamm Block

A doorway to the Pine Street Entrance of the Kamm Block. White photographed this doorway again later in the year, after a fire tore through the east half of the building. Taken March 4, 1939.

White, Minor

Kamm House

Kamm House in its original location at Fourteenth Avenue and Main Street. Taken March 22, 1939.

White, Minor

Kamm House

Kamm House in its original location at Fourteenth Avenue and Main Street. Taken March 22, 1939.

White, Minor

The Portland Hotel

The Portland Hotel, also known as the Hotel Portland, from Sixth Avenue. Taken April 17, 1939.

White, Minor

Knapp-Lindley House

The Knapp-Lindley house, between NW Seventeenth and Eighteenth Avenues and Davis and Everett Streets. Large trees outside the house. Taken April 25, 1939.

White, Minor

Pioneer Courthouse

Fifth Avenue facade of Pioneer Courthouse, looking south. Daffodils and roses line the sidewalk. Likely taken after May 7, 1939. This negative closely resembles 390500-1-2 which was likely taken on the same day. Neither negative was given a number by Minor White, but they are from the same vantage point as 390430-1, 390504-1, and 390507-1.

White, Minor

Pioneer Courthouse

Fifth Avenue facade of Pioneer Courthouse, looking south. Daffodils and roses line the sidewalk. Likely taken after May 7, 1939. This negative closely resembles 390500-1-1 which was likely taken on the same day. Neither negative was given a number by Minor White, but they are from the same vantage point as 390430-1, 390504-1, and 390507-1.

White, Minor

Pioneer Courthouse

Fifth Avenue facade of Pioneer Courthouse, looking south. Daffodils grow near the sidewalk. Taken May 4, 1939.

White, Minor

Crown Mill at Albina, Portland Waterfront

The Crown Flour Mill is seen across the Willamette River on the industrial Portland Waterfront. Large logs float in the river in the background. In the foreground are pieces of wooden debris with nails protruding. A ship is docked in the river.

White, Minor

Results 1 to 28 of 699