Showing 28 results

Collections
United States Office buildings--Oregon--Portland
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

26 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Gordon Building, 4th and Stark, Portland

Photograph showing a two-story brick building at the corner of Fourth and Stark streets (now Southwest Fourth Avenue and Southwest Stark Street) in Portland. On the ground floor is the Peoples Bank; on the upper floor is the Northern Livestock Loan Company. Parked cars are lining the street next to the building. A cropped version of this photograph was one of two, along with image No. 373G0451, was published on Page 1, Section 3, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, April 25, 1920, under the headline “Bank Has Long Lease on Gordon Building.” The photograph had the following caption: “Structure at Fourth and Stark streets receives finishing touches and tenants celebrate opening. Above—New Gordon building.” Also see related image No. 373G0443.

Gordon Building, 4th and Stark, Portland

Photograph showing a two-story brick building at the corner of Fourth and Stark streets (now Southwest Fourth Avenue and Southwest Stark Street) in Portland. On the ground floor is the Peoples Bank; on the upper floor is the Northern Livestock Loan Company. Parked cars are lining the street next to the building. A nearly identical photograph, image No. 373G0442, and image No. 373G0451 were published on Page 1, Section 3, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, April 25, 1920, under the headline “Bank Has Long Lease on Gordon Building.” The similar photograph had the following caption: “Structure at Fourth and Stark streets receives finishing touches and tenants celebrate opening. Above—New Gordon building.”

Journal Building, Broadway and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph, taken from a high vantage, showing the northwest corner of the Journal Building and part of the intersection of Yamhill and Broadway in Portland (now Southwest Yamhill Street and Southwest Broadway). The Oregon Journal occupied the building from 1912 until 1948; it is now known as the Jackson Tower.

Journal Building, Broadway and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph, taken from a high vantage, showing the Journal Building at Broadway and Yamhill Street (now Southwest Broadway and Southwest Yamhill Street) in Portland. The view is toward the southeast. Workers are visible in some of the windows and at the entrance. The photograph may have been taken in 1912, when the building was still under construction. It was completed that year.

Journal Building under construction at Broadway and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph, taken from a high vantage, showing the Journal Building during construction at Broadway and Yamhill (now Southwest Broadway and Southwest Yamhill Street) in Portland in 1912. It was completed later that year. The building is now known as the Jackson Tower. Text that appears to be “3X34” or “3434” and the number 409 are written on the negative and are visible I the upper left corner of the image.

Journal Building, Broadway and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph, taken from a high vantage, showing the Journal Building at Broadway and Yamhill Street (now Southwest Broadway and Southwest Yamhill Street) in Portland. The view is toward the southeast. The photograph may have been taken in 1919; a sign in the window on the ground floor reads “War Savings Stamps 1919.”

Fenton Building, Sixth Street, Portland

Photograph showing the front exterior of the Fenton Building on Sixth Street (now Southwest Sixth Avenue) in Portland. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 1, Section 3, of the Oregon Journal’s city edition on Sunday, March 13, 1921, under the headline “Fenton Building Sold.” The photograph had the following caption: “Structure on East Side of Sixth Street between Stark and Oak, purchased by Dundas & Martin company and subsidiary concerns.” The photograph accompanied a story about the sale, headlined “Fenton Building Is Purchased By Financial Group.” According to the story, “The Fenton building is a six-story and full basement brick structure built by Judge [William D.] Fenton in 1906 on a 50x100-foot lot on the east side of Sixth street between Stark and Oak, near the center of the present ‘financial row.’ The upper floors are devoted to offices, while the ground floor is occupied by retail stores.”

Stock Exchange Building, 3rd and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the six-story Stock Exchange Building at Third and Yamhill Streets (now Southwest Third Avenue and Southwest Yamhill Street) in Portland. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 3 of the Development Section in the Oregon Journal Year’s End Number on Friday, December 26, 1913. The image was among a full page of photographs showing office buildings constructed in Portland in 1913. The photographs were published under the headline “Eleven Business Blocks Constructed During Year.” According to information on the page, the Stock Exchange Building was constructed at a cost of $75,000. Image note: The number 139 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 185 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Platt Building, Park and Washington, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the six-story Platt Building at Park and Washington streets (now Southwest Park Avenue and Southwest Washington Street) in Portland. The building is now known as the Park-Washington Building. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 3 of the Development Section in the Oregon Journal Year’s End Number on Friday, December 26, 1913. The image was among a full page of photographs showing office buildings constructed in Portland in 1913. The photographs were published under the headline “Eleven Business Blocks Constructed During Year.” According to information on the page, the Platt Building was constructed at a cost of $100,000. Image note: The number 143 is written on the negative and is faintly visible in the lower right corner of the image. The number 133 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Balfour-Guthrie Building, Park and Oak streets, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the two-story Balfour-Guthrie Building at the corner of Park and Oak streets (now Southwest Park Avenue and Southwest Oak Street) in Portland. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 3 of the Development Section in the Oregon Journal Year’s End Number on Friday, December 26, 1913. The image was among a full page of photographs showing office buildings constructed in Portland in 1913. The photographs were published under the headline “Eleven Business Blocks Constructed During Year.” According to information on the page, the Balfour-Guthrie Building was constructed at a cost of $37,000. Image note: The number 141 is written on the negative. The number 157 was also written on the negative, then crossed out. It is visible in the upper right corner of the image.

Marquam Building at 6th and Morrison, Portland, after partial collapse

Photograph showing the Marquam Building at Sixth and Morrison streets (now Southwest 6th Avenue and Southwest Morrison Street) after a section of the building collapsed on Thursday, November 11, 1921. A crowd is standing in the street below the building. A cropped version of this photograph was published on the front page of an Oregon Journal extra on the day of the collapse. The photograph and a story were published under the headline “Big Cave-In Wrecks Marquam Building / Scores Menaced by Avalanche of Brick.” The photograph had the following caption: “Photograph shows great rent in Sixth street side of Marquam building; section of brick wall 16 feet wide by eight stories in height gives way and huge mass of debris is hurled to street below; blocking traffic; structure was undergoing alterations when underpinning is supposed to have given way.” The story reported that no one had been injured in the collapse. On November 25, 1912, the Journal reported that the owners of the building had decided to demolish the Marquam Building and construct a new building in its place. It was replaced by the Northwestern National Bank Building, now known as the American Bank Building. See related image No. 376G0343. Image note: The number 40 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper right corner of the image. The photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Marquam Building at 6th and Morrison, Portland, after partial collapse

Photograph showing damage to the Marquam Building at Sixth and Morrison streets (now Southwest 6th Avenue and Southwest Morrison Street) after a section of the building collapsed on Thursday, November 11, 1921. The building was being renovated at the time of the collapse. A story and a related photograph, image No. 376G0342, were published on the front page of an Oregon Journal extra on the day of the collapse. The story reported that no one had been injured. On November 25, 1912, the Journal reported that the owners of the building had decided to demolish the Marquam Building and construct a new building in its place. It was replaced by the Northwestern National Bank Building, now known as the American Bank Building. Image note: The number 41 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper right corner of the image. The photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Broadway entrance to Journal Building, downtown Portland

Photograph, taken from across the street, showing entrances to the Oregon Journal Building on Broadway (now Southwest Broadway) in Portland. At right is the entrance to Mary Cullen’s Cottage, which housed the Journal’s household arts department and a demonstration kitchen. Cars are parked on the street outside the building. The Journal Building is now known as the Jackson Tower.

Entrance to Mary Cullen’s Cottage, Journal Building, downtown Portland

Photograph showing the entrance to Mary Cullen’s Cottage in the Journal Building on Broadway (now Southwest Broadway) in downtown Portland. Painted above the door are the words “Mary Cullen’s Cottage,” and painted above the bay window to the left of the door are the words “Household Arts Service of The JOURNAL.” Mary Cullen’s Cottage housed the Oregon Journal’s household department and a demonstration kitchen. The Journal Building is now known as the Jackson Tower.

Mayer Building under construction, 12th and Morrison, Portland

Photograph showing the Mayer Building under construction at 12th and Morrison streets (now Southwest 12th Avenue and Southwest Morrison Street) in Portland. The view is of the northwest corner of the building. The ground floor is incomplete and open to the street; a small wooden shed and stacks of lumber are visible inside. A cropped version of this photograph was one of five that were published on Page 2, Section 2 of the Oregon Journal city edition on Sunday, November 14, 1926. The photographs were published under the headline “New Homes and Buildings in Various Parts of Portland.” This photograph had the following caption: “The Mayer building, 12th and Morrison streets, designed by Harold P. Bergen, and to be completed December 1.” On the same page was a story about the building; it had the headline “Mayer Building Is Expected To Be Ready Dec. 1” and the subheading “Structure to Cost $350,000 Is Designed Especially for Medical and Allied Professions.”

White King Soap Company office, Portland

Photograph showing the White King Soap Company office at Southeast Water Avenue and Southeast Madison street in Portland. A White King truck is parked outside the building, and several unidentified men are standing on the street corner. See related image No. 372A1169.