Showing 69 results

Collections
United States Buildings--Oregon--Portland
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

67 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Firefighters on ladder, Pine Street, Portland

Photograph showing four firefighters on a ladder extending straight upward from a truck parked on Pine Street (now Southwest Pine Street) in Portland between Second and Third. The sides of the image have been masked out. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. It was one of seven photographs published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” This photograph had the following caption: “Auto Aerial Truck.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. See related image Nos. 373G0456 and 373G0457. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is faintly visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 215 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Firefighters climbing to roof of building at Second and Pine, Portland

Photograph showing fire trucks parked outside a building on Pine Street at Second in Portland (now Southwest Pine Street and Southwest Second Avenue). A ladder extends from one of the trucks to the roof of the building, and several firefighters are carrying a hose up the ladder. Two more men are standing on the roof of the building. A related photograph, image No. 373G458, was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. That photograph was one of seven published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. Also see additional related image No. 373G0456. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 132 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Firefighters climbing to roof of building at Second and Pine, Portland

Photograph showing fire trucks parked outside a building on Pine Street at Second in Portland (now Southwest Pine Street and Southwest Second Avenue) in 1913. A ladder extends from one of the trucks to the roof of the building, and several firefighters are carrying a hose up the ladder. Two more men are standing on the roof of the building. A related photograph, image No. 373G458, was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. That photograph was one of seven published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. Also see additional related image No. 373G0457. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 131 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Two people working on Hollywood Arcade building prior to opening of Arcade Public Market

Photograph, taken from across the street, showing the exterior of the Hollywood Arcade building at East 41st Street North and Sandy Boulevard (now Northeast 41st Avenue and Northeast Sandy Boulevard) in Portland. The building was adjacent to the Hollywood Theatre, which is partially visible at the far left edge of the photograph. At center, two unidentified people are standing on a platform and working on the front of the building. In front of the building are small piles of debris. Bunting is hung from the roof of the building. On the building at upper center is a sign that reads: “ARCADE PUBLIC MARKET / SOUTH SIDE of SANDY at 41st / OPENING DEC. 19.” The photograph was taken in 1931.

John K. Leander Company auto dealership, Broadway North and Everett Street, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the John K. Leander Co. car dealership in Portland. The photograph was taken at the corner of Broadway North and Everett Street (now Northwest Broadway and Northwest Everett Street). See related image No. 371N5409, depicting the adjoining Leander service shop, and 371N5510. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

The Home Plate restaurant, Southeast 49th and Hawthorne, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of The Home Plate restaurant at Southeast 49th Avenue and Southeast Hawthorne Boulevard in Portland. An unidentified man in an apron is standing in front of the building. The view is to the north. Across the top of the building are the words “ICES / ALES / CANDY / TOBACCO.” Below that are the words “THE HOME PLATE / ‘HAMBURGERS AND OTHERS.’ “ Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Side view of entrance to Kamm Block, Pine Street, Portland

Photograph, taken from the side, showing the exterior of the ornate entrance to the Kamm block on Pine Street (now Southwest Pine Street) between Front and First in Portland. Above the doorway is a balcony; just below the balcony are two male figures carved to look as though they are supporting the balcony on their backs. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Attractive entry to Kamm Block built in 1884.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, and 371N5470, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

East Main Street and Union Avenue, Portland

Photograph taken at East Main Street and Union Avenue (now Southeast Main Street and Southeast Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard). The photograph shows the view south down Union Avenue, the buildings lining the street, and vehicles. The number 11 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the photograph. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Morrison and Grand, Portland

Photograph showing the view down Southeast Morrison Street at Southeast Grand Avenue. The photograph was taken from the center of Morrison and the view is toward the west. The photograph shows vehicles and streetcar tracks on Morrison and the buildings bordering the street. In the foreground at left is the Adrian Hotel building. Liggett’s Drug Store occupies the corner space of the ground floor. In the background at center is the John Deere Plow Company Building at Southeast 2nd Avenue and Morrison; the word “JOHN” is visible at the top.

Lombard and Oatman, Arbor Lodge, Portland

Photograph, taken from the middle of North Lombard Street in Arbor Lodge, Portland, showing the street and the building at the intersection of Lombard and Oatman Street, which is blocked by a barrier. Streetcar tracks run down Lombard into the distance. The number 11 is written on the negative is visible in the lower right corner of the photograph. Image note: Light leak on negative.

Jersey Street?, St. Johns, Portland

Photograph, taken from the center of the road, showing the view down a street, possibly Jersey Street, in St. Johns, Portland. On the side of the building at center right is a sign that reads “H. E. CLARK / THE FURNITURE MAN.” The number 4 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image.

Buildings on Jersey Street?, St. Johns, Portland

Photograph, taken from the street, showing a row of buildings, in St. Johns, Portland, possibly on Jersey Street. On the building at center left is a sign for Bonham and Currier; on the building at center is a sign for the Peninsula Security. On the building at far right is a sign for the Peninsula National Bank. The number 5 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image.

Union Station and 6th Street, Portland

Photograph, looking north on Sixth Street (now NW 6th Avenue), showing Union Station at center. At left and right are buildings and parked cars along Sixth. On the buildings at left are signs for the Boyd Hotel and the Newport Restaurant. On the building in the foreground at right are signs for William Volker & Co. and the Washington Cycle & Supply Co. An unidentified man in uniform, possibly a Portland police uniform is standing on the corner at right. A mark that could be the letter “p” or “d” is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image.

3rd and Burnside, Portland

Photograph, taken from the center of the street, looking west on Burnside Street in Portland. The photograph was taken from approximately Third and Burnside (now Northwest Third Avenue and West Burnside Street). The photograph shows the buildings along Burnside and vehicles in motion. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Burnside Street at Broadway, Portland

Photograph showing buildings and parked cars along Burnside Street (now Northwest Burnside Street) in Portland. The photograph was taken from the intersection of Burnside and Broadway and the view is roughly to the east. Visible in the photograph are signs for (from far left) Brockman Printing, the D. & D. Restaurant, Arnold’s Drugs, and the Hotel Glenwood.

View of downtown Portland buildings

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing buildings in downtown Portland. The view is toward the east. The street at bottom is Yamhill, now Southwest Yamhill Street. At lower right is the Vista Market, which was located at 4th and Yamhill.

Bank of British Columbia building, Front and Ankeny, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the Bank of British Columbia building at Front and Ankeny streets in downtown Portland. The building is three stories and has arched windows. Wooden barriers block off the front of the building, and a crane is parked at left. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Bank of British Columbia bldg Front & Ankeny, Portland’s second bank.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Eastern Outfitting building, 10th and Washington, downtown Portland

Photograph showing the Eastern Outfitting building at 10th and Washington streets (now Southwest 10th Avenue and Southwest Washington Street) in downtown Portland shortly before it opened in March 1930. A cropped version of this photograph was one of four photographs that were published together on Page 9 of the Oregon Journal city edition on Sunday, March 16, 1930. The photographs, all related to the Eastern Outfitting Company and its president, Joseph Shemanski, were published under the headline “Huge Mercantile Venture Had Simple Beginning.” This photograph had the following caption: The new 8-story Eastern building at the southwest corner of 10th and Washington streets, which will be dedicated this week and which houses Shemanski's Eastern Outfitting company and Henry Jenning & Sons’ furniture establishment.” The photographs accompanied a story about Shemanski and his company. The story was headlined “Associates Say Shemanski Rare Business Leader” and had the subheading “Pioneer in Installment Sales Lauded; Will Open New Building March 20th.”

View of downtown Portland buildings and Hawthorne Bridge

Photograph, taken from a high angle and looking toward the south, showing the Willamette River at left, the Hawthorne Bridge at top, and the downtown buildings between the Hawthorne Bridge and the Morrison Bridge. The Morrison Bridge is partially visible at the lower left edge of the photograph. The intersection at bottom center is Southwest Morrison Street and Southwest 1st Avenue.

View of downtown Portland buildings and Willamette River from 5th and Taylor

Photograph, looking to the east, showing buildings in downtown Portland and the Willamette River. The photograph was taken from approximately Southwest 5th Avenue and Southwest Taylor Street, which is at center right. The Morrison Bridge is at upper left. At left center is the building housing Powers Furniture. In the lower left corner are the Central Public Market and the Moose Temple.

Hollywood Arcade building, 41st and Sandy, Portland

Photograph showing the two-story Hollywood Arcade building at East 41st Street North and Sandy Boulevard (now Northeast 41st Avenue and Northeast Sandy Boulevard) in Portland. The building was adjacent to the Hollywood Theatre. Signs for the following businesses are visible on the ground floor): Gene’s Sandwich Shop; Ziegler’s Drug Store; Kienow’s Market; and Reihsen’s Better Meats. On the second floor are signs for the Hollywood College of Music and Ballet; J. W. Cormany Real Estate; and Silvanus Kingsley, lawyer.

Results 1 to 28 of 69