Showing 66 results

Collections
Multnomah County (Or.) Buildings--Oregon--Portland
Print preview View:

66 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Building at 16th and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph of a seven-story building at the corner of 16th and Yamhill streets (now Southwest 16th Avenue and Southwest Yamhill Street) in Portland. A sign for the Hotel Mallory is visible at upper right. Image note: Photograph quality is poor due to extensive deterioration of the negative.

View of downtown Portland from top of Public Service Building

Photograph, taken from the top of the Public Service Building, showing downtown buildings in southwest Portland. A cropped version of this photograph was one of four published on Page 1, Section 3, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, August 19, 1928. The photographs were published under the headline “Around-the-Weather-Vane Views of Down Town Portland.” They had the caption: “Portland’s imposing skyline when viewed from the top of the Public Service building, has many points of interest.” This photograph had the following additional caption information: “1—Looking to the northwest, with The Journal tower, the Portland hotel and the American Bank building in the foreground.” The Journal tower is now known as the Jackson Tower. See related image Nos. 371N5419, 371N5435, and 371N5484, which were published with this photograph.

Carstens Packing Company, Front Street, Portland

Photograph, taken from across the street, showing a truck parked outside a three-story brick building on Front Street between Stark and Washington in downtown Portland. A sign on the front of the building reads “Carstens Packing Co.” A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Original home of Ladd & Tilton Bank on Front Street / The first two stories were Portland’s first brick building / Built in 1853.” Wharton reported that the third story had been added later. See related image Nos. 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Esmond rooming house, Front and Morrison, Portland

Photograph showing a four-story building on Front and Morrison streets (now Southwest Morrison Street) in Portland. The building has bay windows on the second and third floors. On the ground floor is a sign for Oregon Sheet Metal Works. The 1905 Morrison Bridge is partially visible in the background. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Last wing of the New Esmond Hotel - Front & Morrison Sts.” The story reported that the hotel opened in 1878, but only the portion of the building shown in this photograph remained in 1928, and it operated as the Esmond rooming house. See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Four-story brick building, 22nd and Sandy, Portland

Photograph showing a four-story brick building at Northeast Sandy Boulevard and Northeast 22nd Avenue in Portland. The building has a hexagonal gable with a tile roof. The view is of the northeast side of the building. On the right side of the photograph is a sign on the building for “Peake The Shade Man.”

New Market Theatre building, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the New Market Theater building in downtown Portland and several cars parked on the street. On the ground floor is the Multnomah Hotel Garage car-repair shop. The building is bordered by Southwest 1st and 2nd avenues and Southwest Ash and Ankeny streets. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Entrance to Newmarket Building / First Street / Portland’s finest theatre from 1872 to 1885.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5397, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

View of 6th Street, downtown Portland, facing southwest

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing the view down 6th Street in Portland (now Southwest 6th Avenue). The intersection at the bottom of the image is 6th and Washington, and the view is to the southwest. The tower of the Oregonian building and the Northwestern National Bank building (now the American Bank Building) are visible at top right. The Meier & Frank building is at center left.

Studio Building at corner of West Park and Taylor, Portland

Photograph showing the nine-story Studio Building at West Park and Taylor streets (now Southwest 9th Avenue and Southwest Taylor Street) in Portland. To the right is the attached theater, which later became the Guild Theatre. The building was completed in 1927. The photograph was taken from Taylor Street and the view is toward the northwest.

10th and Washington streets, downtown Portland

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing cars and buildings along Washington Street (now Southwest Washington Street) in Portland. The photograph was taken at the intersection of Washington and 10th Street (now Southwest 10th Avenue) and the view is to the southeast. On the left side of the image is a sign for the Northwestern Electric Co., located in the Pittock Block. A sign for The Hazelwood restaurant is visible on the building in the foreground at right.

View of 6th Street, downtown Portland, facing north

Photograph showing the view of traffic and buildings on Sixth Street (now Southwest Sixth Avenue) in Portland. The view is to the north. The intersection at the bottom of the image is Morrison Street (now Southwest Morrison Street). At center right is the Meier & Frank building. The number 6 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper right corner of the image.

Morrison Street, downtown Portland, facing northwest

Photograph showing traffic and buildings along Morrison Street (now Southwest Morrison Street) in downtown Portland. The intersection at center is 6th and Morrison. At left front is Pioneer Courthouse, and at left center is the Portland Hotel. At upper right is the Northwestern National Bank Building, now known as the American Bank Building. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

View of 6th Street, downtown Portland, facing south

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing traffic and buildings along 6th Street (now Southwest 6th Avenue) in Portland. The view is toward the south. The intersection at center is 6th and Oak Street. At right center is the Wells Fargo Building. The tower of the Oregonian building is partially visible in the distance at right. Also visible are signs for the Virginia Hotel (lower left); the Guaranty Building (center left); the National Portland Garages (lower right); Faturo's Mens Wear (lower right); and the Columbia Theatre (arched above the street in the distance).

Rooftop view of downtown Portland and Hawthorne Bridge

Photograph, taken from a high angle and looking toward the southeast, showing buildings in downtown Portland and the Hawthorne Bridge in the distance. In the foreground is the building occupied by the Jenning's furniture store at 5th and Washington streets (now Southwest 5th Avenue and Southwest Washington street). In the distance at center, just to the right of the bridge, is the Yeon Building.

Parrish building, Front and Washington, Portland

Photograph showing two trucks parked outside the three-story Parrish building at Front and Washington (now Southwest Washington Street) in Portland. On the ground floor are signs for the Western Fruit & Produce Company and the Tri-State Produce Company. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Southwest corner Front & Washington streets. Site of the first post office [in Portland].” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

View of 6th Street, downtown Portland, facing north

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing traffic and buildings along 6th Street (now Southwest 6th Avenue) in Portland. The intersection toward the bottom is 6th and Morrison Street (now Southwest Morrison Street). At lower left is the Portland Hotel, and at center left is the Northwestern National Bank Building (now the American Bank Building). At center right is the Meier and Frank Building. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Building at First and Alder, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of a three-story building at the corner of 1st and Alder streets (now Southwest 1st Avenue and Southwest Alder Street) in Portland. The building has a mansard roof and arched windows on the upper stories. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Once occupied by Emil Weber’s gambling hall / Now used as P E P Co’s [Portland Electric Power Company’s] interurban station.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Hollywood Arcade building, 41st and Sandy, Portland

Photograph showing the two-story Hollywood Arcade building at East 41st Street North and Sandy Boulevard (now Northeast 41st Avenue and Northeast Sandy Boulevard) in Portland. The building was adjacent to the Hollywood Theatre. Signs for the following businesses are visible on the ground floor): Gene’s Sandwich Shop; Ziegler’s Drug Store; Kienow’s Market; and Reihsen’s Better Meats. On the second floor are signs for the Hollywood College of Music and Ballet; J. W. Cormany Real Estate; and Silvanus Kingsley, lawyer.

View of downtown Portland buildings and Willamette River from 5th and Taylor

Photograph, looking to the east, showing buildings in downtown Portland and the Willamette River. The photograph was taken from approximately Southwest 5th Avenue and Southwest Taylor Street, which is at center right. The Morrison Bridge is at upper left. At left center is the building housing Powers Furniture. In the lower left corner are the Central Public Market and the Moose Temple.

View of downtown Portland buildings and Hawthorne Bridge

Photograph, taken from a high angle and looking toward the south, showing the Willamette River at left, the Hawthorne Bridge at top, and the downtown buildings between the Hawthorne Bridge and the Morrison Bridge. The Morrison Bridge is partially visible at the lower left edge of the photograph. The intersection at bottom center is Southwest Morrison Street and Southwest 1st Avenue.

Eastern Outfitting building, 10th and Washington, downtown Portland

Photograph showing the Eastern Outfitting building at 10th and Washington streets (now Southwest 10th Avenue and Southwest Washington Street) in downtown Portland shortly before it opened in March 1930. A cropped version of this photograph was one of four photographs that were published together on Page 9 of the Oregon Journal city edition on Sunday, March 16, 1930. The photographs, all related to the Eastern Outfitting Company and its president, Joseph Shemanski, were published under the headline “Huge Mercantile Venture Had Simple Beginning.” This photograph had the following caption: The new 8-story Eastern building at the southwest corner of 10th and Washington streets, which will be dedicated this week and which houses Shemanski's Eastern Outfitting company and Henry Jenning & Sons’ furniture establishment.” The photographs accompanied a story about Shemanski and his company. The story was headlined “Associates Say Shemanski Rare Business Leader” and had the subheading “Pioneer in Installment Sales Lauded; Will Open New Building March 20th.”

Bank of British Columbia building, Front and Ankeny, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the Bank of British Columbia building at Front and Ankeny streets in downtown Portland. The building is three stories and has arched windows. Wooden barriers block off the front of the building, and a crane is parked at left. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Bank of British Columbia bldg Front & Ankeny, Portland’s second bank.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

View of downtown Portland buildings

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing buildings in downtown Portland. The view is toward the east. The street at bottom is Yamhill, now Southwest Yamhill Street. At lower right is the Vista Market, which was located at 4th and Yamhill.

Burnside Street at Broadway, Portland

Photograph showing buildings and parked cars along Burnside Street (now Northwest Burnside Street) in Portland. The photograph was taken from the intersection of Burnside and Broadway and the view is roughly to the east. Visible in the photograph are signs for (from far left) Brockman Printing, the D. & D. Restaurant, Arnold’s Drugs, and the Hotel Glenwood.

Results 1 to 28 of 66