Showing 38 results

Collections
Oregon African Americans
Print preview View:

36 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Teddy McDaniel posing with birthday cake at Cotton Club, Portland

Portrait of a boy, Teddy McDaniel, sitting at a table and posing with his birthday cake during a party at the Cotton Club in Portland on May 23, 1934. McDaniel is smiling and holding a knife as though about to cut the cake. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 12 of the Oregon Journal on May 25, 1934. It had the following caption: “Teddy McDaniel, pal of Ted Lewis and hit of the latter’s show at the Oriental, cutting the cake that made his eighth birthday anniversary, Wednesday, the best ever.” According to a short story accompanying the photograph, McDaniel was a performer in stage shows led by entertainer Ted Lewis, and Lewis was among those to attend the party. See related image No. 371N1517. Image note: Photograph is out of focus.

Teddy McDaniel and friends during birthday party at Cotton Club, Portland

Portrait of smiling children posing next to a table during a birthday party for Teddy McDaniel (center) at the Cotton Club in Portland on May 23, 1934. A birthday cake is on the table in front of McDaniel. According to a story about the party on Page 12 of the Oregon Journal on May 25, 1934, McDaniel was a performer in stage shows led by entertainer Ted Lewis, and the party celebrated McDaniel’s eighth birthday. See related image No. 371N1518.

Prince Hall Masons

Members of the Prince Hall Masons, a fraternal organization for black men that formed as chapters in the Northwest in the 1880s and 1890s. The Prince Hall chapter in Portland was organized in 1891, and its Grand Lodge was located on NE Russell Street (now the Secret Society bar). The Prince Hall Masons are still active in Portland.

Wasson, J. L. (James Lonnie)

Oregon Association of Colored Women's Clubs photographs, 1953-1988.

  • Org. Lot 587
  • Collection
  • 1953 - 1988

Photographs and other materials that were assembled for the Northwest Black Heritage exhibit at the Oregon Historical Society, documenting the history and activities of the Oregon Association of Colored Women's Clubs and its constituent groups. The photographs depict the presidents of the Oregon Association of Colored Women's Clubs, including Katherine Gray, the association's first president; state and regional conventions; affiliated clubs; community service activities; winners of the association's Katherine Gray Memorial Scholarship; and federated girls' clubs associated with the organization. Also included is a photograph of the exhibit panel and photocopies of newspaper clippings and other materials used in the exhibit panel.

Oregon Association of Colored Women's Clubs

O.B. Williams anniversary party

The Vancouver Baptist Church congregation celebrated the 30th anniversary of O.B. Williams as pastor in 1975. Williams formed the congregation in 1945 in Burton Homes, Washington, and facilitated its permanent move to Albina in Portland. He served as an important community and civil rights leader throughout his tenure as pastor.

Lee Owen Stone papers, 1903-1977

  • Mss 2423
  • Collection
  • 1930 - 1977

Collection includes: Correspondence, sermons, awards and certificates, files from his activity in the Urban League of Portland and other civil and philanthropic associations, Minutes of meetings for Men's Club of St. Philip's Church, missionaries' quarterly reports, etc.

Stone, Lee Owen, 1903-1977

Katherine Gray Club meeting

Members of the Katherine Gray Club pack canned food into a box during a meeting in 1956. Katherine Gray, along with Hattie Redmond, co-founded the Colored Women’s Equal Suffrage League and worked with Beatrice Cannady to protest the showing of “Birth of a Nation,” the racist 1915 film by D.W. Griffith. She was also the president of the Oregon Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs, which created a club in her honor.

Oregon Association of Colored Women's Clubs

J. Hedspeth Restaurant

Two men in the J. Hedspeth Restaurant, on Flanders Street in 1912. The restaurant was owned by English G. Hedspeth. Hedspeth began as a waiter at the Portland Hotel.

George Singleton, Portland

Portrait of George Singleton. Singleton was an early resident of Portland, who at one time lived on the northwest corner of Alder Street and Sixth Ave. He likely held many professions, as most early settlers did, but he is listed in the 1882 City Directory as a "hackman" (driver) for Acker and Leahy, a city stables on Washington (Burnside) and Stark.

Freeman's Second Hand Store

Edward Freeman? and his children standing in front of Freeman's Second-Hand Store. Edward Freeman ran a second-hand store on Union Avenue (now NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd) near what is now Fremont Park. He and his wife Ida moved with their son Theodore from Colorado in about 1915. They had two daughters in Portland, Ida and Gertrude.

Results 1 to 28 of 38