Print preview Close

Showing 311 results

Collections
Portland General Electric Photograph Collection Portland (Or.)
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

310 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Portland General Electric Photograph Collection

  • Org. Lot 151
  • Collection
  • 1880 - 1965

Negatives documenting company activities, including electrical infrastructure, employees, power generation and distribution throughout Portland, the Willamette Valley and the Oregon Cascade Range. Additional general images include streetcars and trains, street lighting, power line installation, Rose Festival floats, office buildings, car barns and bridges. Of particular note are dam building projects at Bull Run and along the Clackamas River (1910-1930), and early electric stations in Oregon City at Willamette Falls.

Portland General Electric Company

Station L, exterior view

Photograph showing the exterior of Station L taken from across the water (now the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) with several buildings visible. The hog fuel pile can be seen on the right, and several loaded barges can be seen next to the docks on the left side of the image. The Willamette River is in the foreground. Part of the image is masked with paper.

Station L

Photograph showing wooden pilings under set in water at Station L (now the location of the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry).. Behind the orderly pilings is a raised wooden on which rests several pieces of large equipment. Two men in long jackets can be seen near the center of the frame, in addition to several workers in the background of the image. Written on the glass is “L274.”

Station L, tower support

Photograph showing five men looking at the camera and standing in the metal framework on a support tower in the process of being built. Water and a section of a dock can be seen on the right side of the image, next to a large brick building with several rows of windows. Written on the negative in pencil is “E-301-L-3269, first panel of tower support for cinder collector, Sta. L., May 13 1922.”

Station L, derrick and barge

Photograph taken at Station L (now the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) of hog fuel being unloaded via a derrick from a barge on the Willamette River. The Hawthorne bridge can be seen in the distance, as well as other boats. One person stands on the barge watching a crate being lifted onto the dock.

Station L, hog fuel pile

Photograph taken of the hog fuel pile at Station L (now the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry). An unhitched wagon sits at the base of the hill to the right, and a “no trespassing” sign is visible near the center of the frame. In the distance, a person can be seen standing at the top of a pile.

Station L, hog fuel pile

Photograph taken from a high angle of the hog fuel pile at Station L (now the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry), looking south. The Willamette River can be seen on the right side of the frame, and two unidentified churches can be seen in the distance.

Station L, boiler room

Photograph showing the boiler room at Station L (now the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry). A long row of boiler doors can be seen, and a man in a hat and overalls stands in front of one while looking at the camera. Large metal beams can be seen at the top of the boiler stuctures.

Station L, generators

Photograph taken at Station L (later the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry), looking downward at two generators. The far unit is being rewound with visible cable. Pieces of debris can be seen around the room, in addition to possible damage on the back wall. Large windows can be seen along the left wall, and metal plating lines the back wall.

Station L

Photograph of the engine room of Station L (now the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) showing machinery. A person in a white shirt can be seen on the right side of the frame, and the front unit has “General Electric Company” written on it.

Station L

Photograph showing the exterior of Station L (now the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) with several buildings visible. Railroad tracks pass through the front of the frame, and water from the Willamette River can be seen in front of the main stone building.

Station L

Photograph taken at Station L (later the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) taken from a high angle showing wooden pilings over water in the foreground, with piles of cut logs in the distance. Several people can be seen on a wooden structure at the left side of the frame, as well as a group standing on a raised platform cutting logs towards the right side. In the distance, a building on a raised dock structure with a large “Portland Railway, Light & Power Co.” sign can be seen. Written on the glass is “L276.”

Underground derrick truck on street

Photograph showing a man standing on top of an pole derrick truck used for underground work. He is facing forward and looking at the camera with both hands on levers. Next to him is a metal arm attached to the truck, with a hook and pulley at the end. In the background is SW 5th Avenue, looking south towards SW Stark Street. The J.K. Gill Building can be seen on the left (corner of SW 5th Avenue and SW Stark Street), as well as the Yeon Building (522 SW 5th Avenue).

Pole auger truck

Photograph taken from a side angle showing a man seated on the back of a pole auger truck. He is looking down towards his left while using a series of levers to control the auger attached to the back of the vehicle.

Pole auger truck

Photograph taken from a side angle showing a man standing on the back of a pole auger truck, with another man standing in dense foliage behind the vehicle. The man on the bed of the vehicle is leaning down towards a set of levers, which is next to a upright pole structure.

Utility workers installing 2000th Portland streetlight, at Northeast 43rd Avenue and Northeast Glisan Street

Photograph showing the north side of Northeast Glisan Street looking towards Northeast 43rd Avenue. Two utility workers install a light at the top of a wooden utility pole, while a group of people watch from the ground. Houses, automobiles and other utility poles and electric lies can be seen in the frame.

Men with boxes of streetlights, before placement of 2000th streetlight at Northeast 43rd Avenue and Northeast Glisan Street

Photograph showing two men standing in a doorway with two boxes of streetlights. The man on the left faces towards the camera, while the other looks toward the left side of the frame. Behind them are other boxes at the top of a ramp. "Line Material Co. Milwaukee, Wis. USA" is written on the boxes.

Group watching workers installing 2000th Portland streetlight, at Northeast 43rd Avenue and Northeast Glisan Street

Photograph showing a group of people standing on a sidewalk while watching utility workers install a street light at the top of a utility pole. Several individuals in the group are looking upward, while others look towards an adolescent walking a bike on the sidewalk. Houses can be seen in the background (north side of Northeast Glisan Street looking towards Northeast 41st Avenue).

Results 1 to 28 of 311