Showing 38 results

Collections
United States Churches
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

36 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Vancouver Avenue First Baptist Church collection, 1940-2015

  • Coll 189
  • Collection
  • 1940 - 2015

The collection covers various aspects of the history of the church and of its leader, Rev. O.B. Williams, and his wife Willa Jackson Williams. It includes a variety of photographs, with a large percentage of the images relating to the various church groups, including choirs, youth groups, and ushers. A large collection of members’ memorial cards, the pastoral anniversaries of Rev. Williams, some bibles and hymnals (many annotated by Rev. Williams, including two dated 1867 and 1890), church financial records and meeting minutes, and a collection of materials from Dr. Martin Luther King’s 1961 visit are included. A small collection of the Williams’ personal photographs and ephemera can also be found in collection.

Vancouver Avenue First Baptist Church (Portland, Or.)

First Presbyterian Church, Portland, with steeple damaged by lightning

Photograph showing First Presbyterian Church at 11th and Alder streets (now Southwest 11th Avenue and Southwest Alder Street) in Portland on Saturday, July 17, 1920, after lightning damaged the steeple. A cropped version of this photograph was published on the front page of the Oregon Journal’s July 17 city edition under the headline “Bolt Strikes.” The photograph had the following caption: “Steeple of First Presbyterian church, Eleventh and Alder streets, showing where lightning ripped slate off the roof in a jagged streak. Below, the street is roped off to prevent injury to pedestrians.” The photograph accompanied a story with the headline “Steeple Is Shattered by Electric Bolt” and the subheading “Patrolman C. C. Martin, Seeking Shelter From Storm, Knocked Senseless When Shock Hits Edifice; Rain Puts Out Fire.” See related image No. 376G0316.

First Unitarian Church, Portland

Photograph, taken from the side, showing the entrance to the First Unitarian Church at Southwest 12th Avenue and Southwest Salmon Street in Portland. The text “Unitarian Church” is written on the negative and is partially visible in the lower right corner of the image. Also see related image Nos. 372A1261 and 372A1262.

Lee Owen Stone papers, 1903-1977

  • Mss 2423
  • Collection
  • 1930 - 1977

Collection includes: Correspondence, sermons, awards and certificates, files from his activity in the Urban League of Portland and other civil and philanthropic associations, Minutes of meetings for Men's Club of St. Philip's Church, missionaries' quarterly reports, etc.

Stone, Lee Owen, 1903-1977

Depot at Mt. Angel

Photograph of a depot at Mt. Angel for the Willamette Valley Southern Railway Company (W.V.S.RY). Buildings, including St. Mary Catholic Church with steeple, can be seen next to the depot. In the distance, several people can be seen, including one next to the depot looking at the camera (image note: corner of glass negative is broken).

First Unitarian Church, Portland

Photograph showing the First Unitarian Church at Southwest 12th Avenue and Southwest Salmon Street in Portland. Cars are parked on the street outside the church. The photograph was taken from Southwest 12th Avenue and the view is to the north. The text “Unitarian Church” is written on the negative and is partially visible in the lower right corner of the image. Also see related image Nos. 372A1260 and 372A1262.

First Baptist Church of Burton Homes

The Vancouver Avenue Baptist Church began as the First Baptist Church of Burton Homes, a federal wartime housing project managed by the Vancouver Housing Authority (Washington state). Most of the people in this 1945 photo of an early service were employees of the Kaiser Shipyards. The church moved to the Bagley Downs housing project later that year, then to Vanport City in 1946, and finally to the Albina neighborhood in Portland after Vanport was flooded in 1948. The current building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its significance to the history of civil rights in Oregon.

St. Agatha Catholic Church, East 15th and Nehalem, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of St. Agatha Catholic Church at East Fifteenth and Nehalem streets (now Southeast 15th Avenue and Southeast Nehalem Street) in Portland. A cropped version of either this photograph or image No. 376G0175, which is nearly identical, was published on Page 5 of the Oregon Journal city edition on Saturday, October 9, 1920, under the headline “St. Agathas Church In Sellwood Dedicated.” The photograph had the following caption: “St. Agathas Catholic church, corner Fifteenth and Nehalem streets, Sellwood, which was dedicated Sunday morning with impressive ceremonies.” The photograph accompanied a story headlined “Pontifical Mass Blesses Church.” Image note: Scratch at bottom of negative.

St. Agatha Catholic Church, East 15th and Nehalem, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of St. Agatha Catholic Church at East Fifteenth and Nehalem streets (now Southeast 15th Avenue and Southeast Nehalem Street) in Portland. A cropped version of either this photograph or image No. 376G0174, which is nearly identical, was published on Page 5 of the Oregon Journal city edition on Saturday, October 9, 1920, under the headline “St. Agathas Church In Sellwood Dedicated.” The photograph had the following caption: “St. Agathas Catholic church, corner Fifteenth and Nehalem streets, Sellwood, which was dedicated Sunday morning with impressive ceremonies.” The photograph accompanied a story headlined “Pontifical Mass Blesses Church.” Image note: Scratch at bottom of negative.

First Unitarian Church, Portland

Photograph, taken from the side, showing the entrance to the First Unitarian Church at Southwest 12th Avenue and Southwest Salmon Street in Portland. The text “Unitarian Church” is written on the negative and is partially visible in the lower right corner of the image. Also see related image Nos. 372A1260 and 372A1261.

First Presbyterian Church, Portland, with steeple damaged by lightning

Photograph showing the steeple of the First Presbyterian Church at 11th and Alder streets (now Southwest 11th Avenue and Southwest Alder Street) in Portland on Saturday, July 17, 1920, after it was damaged by lightning. The Oregon Journal published a related photograph, image No. 376G0315, and a story about the damage on the front page of Its July 17 city edition. The story had the headline “Steeple Is Shattered By Electric Bolt” and the subheading “Patrolman C. C. Martin, Seeking Shelter From Storm, Knocked Senseless When Shock Hits Edifice; Rain Puts Out Fire.”

Results 1 to 28 of 38