Photograph showing trucks outside part of the General Grocery Company Inc. building at 45 SE Ash Street in Portland. It housed offices, warehouse space, and manufacturing areas. See related image No. 372A1150. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.
Photograph showing a three-story brick building, possibly at 405 Northwest Couch in Portland. On the building are two signs reading “New Home of R. E. Douglas Inc. / Acme Beer Distributors.” Lower on the building are two signs in Chinese.
Photograph, taken in the fall of 1929, of the exterior of Westminster Presbyterian Church with a new unit at left. The church is on NE Hancock Street in Portland. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.
Photograph showing a small corner building with signs for a lunch counter and a barber shop. The street numbers 536 and 534 are visible above the businesses’ doors. Signs for the Rowe Plumbing Company (center) and a theater (right) are visible on buildings in the background.
Photograph, taken from across the street, showing multistory buildings on 1st street (now Southwest 1st Avenue) between Ankeny and Burnside streets in downtown Portland. On the buildings are signs for the Pacific Tent & Awning Co. and the Lang & Co. Candy Factory.
Photograph of the Masonic Temple on West Park Street (now Southwest Park Avenue) in Portland. The photograph was taken at the intersection of Park and Madison Street. The streets next to the building are lined with parked cars. The temple is now part of the Portland Art Museum and is known as the Mark Building.
Photograph, taken from a high angle and looking toward the southeast, showing buildings in downtown Portland and the Hawthorne Bridge in the distance. In the foreground is the building occupied by the Jenning's furniture store at 5th and Washington streets (now Southwest 5th Avenue and Southwest Washington street). In the distance at center, just to the right of the bridge, is the Yeon Building.
Photograph showing demolition of the tower of the Portland High School building on August 11, 1928. Heavy trucks pulled down the tower with lines attached to the building. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 9 of the Oregon Journal on August 12, 1928, under the headline “School Tower Razed.” The photograph had the following caption: “Saturday the ornate tower that has thrust upward from the old Portland high school at 14th and Morrison streets was pulled down by workmen wrecking the building. It has become endeared to thousands since its erection in 1883.” Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.
Photograph showing buildings along Broadway (now Southwest Broadway) in Portland, including the New Heathman Hotel, the Broadway Theatre, and the Journal Building (at center right, with clock at top, now known as the Jackson Tower). The view is to the north. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to negative damage.
Photograph showing two young men in white jackets loading a large box into the back of a Vern L. Wenger Radio Service truck. A third man is standing next to the truck, watching. On the side of the box are the words “Another RCA Victor Radio / Model 9-K / RCA Manufacturing Co. Inc. / Camden, New Jersey.” The number 2 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower left corner of the image. Vern L. Wenger was located in Portland.
Photograph showing two delivery trucks parked outside the Western Packing Company in Portland. An unidentified man is standing next to the truck on the right. A sign at over the open doors of the loading area reads “Western Packing Co. / Fresh and cured meats.” A sign on the right side of the doors reads “Manufacturers of … High Grade Sausage / Luncheon Meats.”
Photograph showing two unidentified men standing outside the open loading door of a brick building with a sign reading “Italian Wine Company.” The Italian Wine Company was located at 1018 SE 8th Avenue in Portland.
Photograph showing unidentified men standing next to delivery trucks parked outside Ballif Distributing Co. facility on Southeast Second Avenue at Southeast Madison Street, Portland. On the building are signs reading (from left to right): “Mar-Vista Wines”; “Ballif Distributing Co.”; and “Schlitz and Old Milwaukee Beer.” See related image No. 372A1165.
Photograph showing a warehouse at Southeast Third Avenue and Southeast Belmont Street in Portland. Trucks are parked outside three of the loading areas. On the side of each truck are the words “Wadhams wholesale grocers.” Above the entrance to the building is a sign reading “Wadhams & Co.” Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.
Photograph showing the exterior of The Home Plate restaurant at Southeast 49th Avenue and Southeast Hawthorne Boulevard in Portland. An unidentified man in an apron is standing in front of the building. The view is to the north. Across the top of the building are the words “ICES / ALES / CANDY / TOBACCO.” Below that are the words “THE HOME PLATE / ‘HAMBURGERS AND OTHERS.’ “ Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.
Photograph showing the exterior of the National Biscuit Company building at Northwest 12th Avenue and Northwest Davis Street in Portland. Cars and a freight truck are parked outside the building. A sign on the building reads “National Biscuit Company / Uneeda Bakers.” The view is to the east.
Photograph showing an addition under construction at the Montgomery Ward warehouse in Portland in March 1936. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 5, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, March 29, 1936, under the headline “Pouring Third Floor Block at Ward’s.” The photograph had the following caption: “Building activity is at high gear on this $750,000 project at Montgomery Ward & Co. mail order and retail center at N. W. 27th avenue and Vaughn Street, as 150 men push the nine-story addition into the air.” The photograph accompanied a story headlined “Montgomery Ward Project On Schedule.” Image note: The text “Mont - Ward 3/26/36” is written on the negative and is faintly visible in the lower right corner of the image.
Photograph showing a two-story building at the corner of Southeast Union Avenue (now Southeast Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard) and Southeast Alder Street in Portland. On the corner of the building are signs reading “ORE-WA Packing Co.” and “W. W. Swank Co. / 401 / Brokers / 401.” At far left is the building depicted in image No. 372A1217. See related image No. 372A1223. Image note: Light leak on negative.
Photograph showing an empty lot covered in grass at the corner of Southeast 6th Avenue and Southeast Salmon Street in Portland. The photograph was taken from the southwest corner of the intersection, and the view is to the northeast. At left is the Sande Court apartment building.
Photograph showing, railroad tracks, mills, and factories along waterfront land in North Portland. At right is the Western Waxed Paper Company; at left, on the water, is the L. B. Menefee Lumber Company Shingle Mill.