Showing 1458 results

Collections
Multnomah County (Or.) cellulose nitrate film
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

1458 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Commander Louis J. Gulliver waving farewell from USS Constitution

Photograph showing Commander Louis J. Gulliver, commanding officer of the frigate USS Constitution, waving from the top of the gangplank before the ship’s departure from Portland on August 22, 1933, after a three-week visit as part of a national tour. That day, a cropped version of this photograph and image No. 371N3705 were published on Page 9 of the Oregon Journal under the headline “Ending Triumphant Call of Grand Old Frigate.” This photograph had the following caption: “Commander Louis J. Gulliver of the frigate waves farewell to an appreciative and grateful city.” Image note: Light leak on negative.

Commander Louis J. Gulliver returning to USS Constitution after leave

Photograph showing Commander Louis J. Gulliver (second from left), Lieutenant Commander Henry Hartley (right) and unidentified sailors saluting as Gulliver resumes command of the frigate USS Constitution after returning from a 30-day leave. The photograph was taken aboard the Constitution on August 11, 1933, while the ship and crew were in Portland for a three-week visit as part of a national tour. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 371N3713 were published on Page 4 of the August 11, 1933, under the headline “Piping the Skipper Over The Side.” This photograph had the following caption: “Commander Louis J. Gulliver, left, stepping onto the decks of ‘Old Ironsides,’ with side-boys at salute, and welcomed by Lieutenant-Commander Henry Hartley, who had command of the frigate during Gulliver’s absence on leave. Hartley relinquished command and resumed his duties as executive officer.” The photographs accompanied a story headlined “Gulliver Back As Boss Over Old Ironsides.” The story described the honors for Gulliver as follows: “The side honors accorded the captain consisted of mustering the marine guard, which presented arms as he came across the gangway between the line of four side-boys, who stood at salute while the chief boatswain’s mate blew a rail on his pipe. Lieutenant David W. Tolson, officer of the deck, gave the formal salute as the captain stepped on the deck.” See additional related image No. 371N3718. Image No. 371N3735 may also depict part of the honors marking Gulliver’s return.

Commander Louis J. Gulliver, commanding officer of USS Constitution

Half-length portrait of Commander Louis J. Gulliver facing front. The photograph was taken in Portland in May 1933, when Gulliver, commanding officer of the frigate USS Constitution, inspected the moorage at Swan Island prior to a visit by the frigate and crew in August as part of a national tour. With Gulliver were Lieutenant. H. St Johns Butler (background, left), the ship’s navigating officer, and Lieutenant Commander Henry Hartley, executive officer. A story, headlined “ ‘Old Ironsides’ Chief Praises Moorage Here,” and related image No. 371N3715 were published on Page 10 of the Oregon Journal on May 12, 1933.

Group at tea during visit of USS Constitution to Portland

Portrait of the commanding officer of the frigate USS Constitution, members of his family, and others at a tea on Friday, August 18, 1933. The tea was held during a three-week visit to Portland by the ship and its crew. A cropped version of this photograph was one of four that were published on Page 4 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, August 20, 1933, under the headline “No Dull Moments on Deck of Old Frigate Constitution.” This photograph had the following caption: “Group at Friday tea, in front row from left are Phylis Drake and Grace Gulliver and in rear row Marion Bass, Commander [Louis J.] Gulliver, Mrs. Gulliver and Marjorie Bass.” Also see image Nos. 371N3717, 371N3730, and 371N3736, which were published with this photograph.

Descendants of Revolutionary War captain William Van Cleve aboard USS Constitution in Portland

Full-length portrait showing six descendants of William Van Cleve posing aboard the frigate USS Constitution. The photograph was taken in August 1933, during a three-week visit to Portland by the ship and crew as part of a national tour. A cropped version of this photograph and a short story were published on Page 10 of the Oregon Journal on August 10, 1933, under the headline “Ship Visit Unites Family.” The photograph had the following caption: “Lieutenant Joseph Collins Van Cleve of U. S. S. Constitution brings definite proof to Circuit Judge Clarence H. Gilbert and Dr. Archie Van Cleve of Portland that they are descendants of William Van Cleve, a captain in the Revolutionary war. From left, aboard Old Ironsides, are Judge Gilbert, Dr. Van Cleve, Bertelle Van Cleve, 5; Katherine Gilbert, 20; Joanne Van Cleve, 12; Lieutenant Van Cleve.” According to the accompanying story, Bertelle and Joanne Van Cleve are the daughters of Archie Van Cleve, and Katharine Gilbert (spelled differently in the caption than in the story) is the daughter of Judge Gilbert.

Mayor Joseph K. Carson presenting plaque to Lieutenant Commander Henry Hartley aboard USS Constitution

Photograph showing Portland Mayor Joseph K. Carson holding a bronze plaque commemorating the visit of the frigate USS Constitution to Portland. The photograph was taken during a ceremony aboard the frigate on Thursday, August 10, 1933, in which Carson presented the plaque to the ship’s executive officer, Lieutenant Commander Henry Hartley (second from right). Several unidentified men are watching Carson; the man at left may be City Commissioner Earl Riley. A story about the presentation, headlined “City Presents Bronze Plaque to ‘Ironsides,’ ” was published in the Oregon Journal the day of the ceremony. See related image Nos. 371N3728 and 371N3729.

Earl Riley, Grace Meier, L. E. Kern, and Rufus C. Holman at dedication of Waverly Baby Home, Portland

Photograph showing (from left) Earl Riley, Oregon first lady Grace Meier, L. E. Kern, and Rufus C. Holman at the dedication of the new Waverly Baby Home building in Portland on November 28, 1931. They are standing in front of the building’s cornerstone, which has not yet been placed, and Meier is holding a bouquet of flowers. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 371N3021 were published on Page 4 of the Oregon Journal on November 29, 1931, under the headline “New Home for Babies Dedicated.” This photograph had the following caption: “From left, Earl Riley, city commissioner; Mrs. Julius L. Meier receiving bouquet from L. E. Kern, president of the board of trustees of the Waverly Baby home, and State Treasurer Rufus C. Holman, at the dedication of the new $115,000 home for parentless waifs Saturday. Riley represented the city and Holmes for the state.” The photographs accompanied the continuation of a front-page story about the opening of the new building.

Bill Genn, Oregon State Police

Half-length portrait of a man facing front and wearing an Oregon State Police uniform and badge. He is standing outside the Journal Building (now the Jackson Tower) in Portland. The name “Bill Genn” is written on the negative and is visible at the top of the image.

Two unidentified girls in costume, posing outside YWCA building in Portland

Half-length portrait of two unidentified teenage girls posing outside the YWCA building at Southwest Broadway and Southwest Taylor Street in Portland. They are standing side by side, facing front and wearing costumes. The girl at left is wearing a cap, a vest, a dress with puffed sleeves, and a lace apron. The girl at right is wearing a cap, a blouse and a vest. See related image Nos. 374N0130 and 374N0132. The text “YWCA” is written on the negative and is visible on the left side of the image.

Portland Mayor George L. Baker presenting letter to Oregon Agricultural College debate team

Photograph showing Portland Mayor presenting a letter to Robert Kerr, a member of the Oregon Agricultural College transcontinental debate team, as five others watch. The photograph was taken outside Portland City Hall on Sunday, May 22, 1925. A nearly identical photograph, image No. 371N0131, was published on Page 13 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, March 22, 1925, under the headline “O. A. C. Debaters Given ‘Bon Tour.’ “ That photograph had the following caption: “From left—Earl W. Wells, coach; Lindsey S. Spight, publicity agent; Mayor Baker; Frank E. Andrews, president Portland Chamber of Commerce; Robert Kerr, Frank De Spain and Blair Stewart, debaters.” The photograph accompanied a story headlined “Debate Team to Leave Today For 10,000-Mile Trip / Oregon Aggie Men Given Formal Farewell Saturday by Mayor Baker and Business Men.” The Oregonian newspaper, in its coverage of the send-off, reported that the letter the mayor gave to Kerr was a greeting from Baker to the mayor of Portland, Maine. The debaters were to deliver the letter at the end of their tour. Oregon Agricultural College is now Oregon State University. Also see related image No. 371N0133.

Portland Mayor George L. Baker presenting letter to Oregon Agricultural College debate team

Photograph showing Portland Mayor shaking hands with Robert Kerr, a member of the Oregon Agricultural College transcontinental debate team, after presenting him with a letter at a sendoff for the team. With Baker and Kerr are (from left) Earl W. Wells, debate coach; Lindsey S. Spight, publicity agent; Frank E. Andrews, president of the Portland Chamber of Commerce; and Frank De Spain and Blair Stewart, debate team members. The photograph was taken outside Portland City Hall on Sunday, May 22, 1925. A similar photograph, image No. 371N0131, and a story were published on Page 13 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, March 22, 1925. The story was headlined “Debate Team to Leave Today For 10,000-Mile Trip / Oregon Aggie Men Given Formal Farewell Saturday by Mayor Baker and Business Men.” The Oregonian newspaper, in its coverage of the sendoff, reported that the letter the mayor gave to Kerr was a greeting from Baker to the mayor of Portland, Maine. The debaters were to deliver the letter at the end of their tour. Oregon Agricultural College is now Oregon State University. Also see related image No. 371N0132.

Chinese students and diplomat at Adcox aviation school, Portland

Full-length portrait showing ten men standing in a row outside the entrance to the Adcox Schools in Portland. A nearly identical photograph, image No. 371N5592, and image No. 371N5592 were published on Page 24 of the Oregon Journal home edition on January 10, 1930, under the headline “Future Aviation Heads for China.” The photographs had the following caption: “Seven Chinese youths have registered at Adcox Aviation school, No. 280 Union avenue north, in line with announcement that such groups will be trained there at the Chinese government’s expense.” The photograph nearly identical to this one had the following additional information: “They are shown with Chang Tien-chieou, delegate of China’s ministry of foreign affairs, who accompanied them here, and local welcomers. From left—Herbert Lung, Moy Gee, Moy Lee of Portland; Edward Wong, Delegate Chang, Ralph Chong, Don Wing Moy of Portland; Michael F. Tom, Bennie Choye and Willie Low.” The photographs accompanied a story headlined “Chinese Take Up Aviation Here.” See additional related image No. 371N3468.

Pallbearers carrying casket of Archbishop Alexander Christie into St. Mary’s Cathedral, Portland

Photograph showing pallbearers carrying the casket of Archbishop Alexander Christie into St. Mary’s Cathedral at Northwest 15th and Davis in Portland on April 15, 1925, as people watch from either side of the doorway. That day, a front-page story about Christie’s funeral was published in the Oregon Journal city edition. The story had the headline “Throngs at Funeral of Archbishop” and the subheading “Impressive Last Rites Held for Most Rev. Alexander Christie in St. Marys [sic] Cathedral; Mt. Calvary is Resting Place.” See related image Nos. 371N4171, 371N4172, 371N4182, 371N4183, 371N4184, and 371N4185. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Procession from St. Mary’s Cathedral, Portland, after funeral of Archbishop Alexander Christie

Photograph, taken April 15, 1925, showing a crowd outside St. Mary’s Cathedral, Northwest 15th and Davis in Portland, watching clergy leaving the cathedral after the funeral of Archbishop Alexander Christie. That day, a front-page story about Christie’s funeral was published in the Oregon Journal city edition. The story had the headline “Throngs at Funeral of Archbishop” and the subheading “Impressive Last Rites Held for Most Rev. Alexander Christie in St. Marys [sic] Cathedral; Mt. Calvary is Resting Place.” See related image Nos. 371N4170, 371N4171, 371N4172, 371N4182, 371N4184, and 371N4185.

Temple Beth Israel and grounds, Portland

Photograph showing the west side of the Temple Beth Israel synagogue in Portland and the surrounding grounds, bounded by Glisan Street to the north; 19th Street North to the east; and Flanders Street to the south (now Northwest Glisan Street, Northwest 19th Avenue, and Northwest Flanders Street, respectively). The view of the temple is partially obstructed by trees in the foreground.

Nuns at The Grotto, Portland

Full-length portrait of six unidentified nuns at the National Sanctuary of Our Sorrowful Mother (The Grotto) in Portland. They are standing in a row in front of the grotto, a cave carved from the surrounding cliff face.

Temple Beth Israel, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the Temple Beth Israel synagogue, located in Portland at Northwest 19th Avenue between Northwest Glisan and Northwest Flanders streets. The photograph, taken at an angle from left of the entrance, shows the west side of the building. The doors are open and a barricade stands in front of them at the top of the steps. See related image Nos. 371N5751 and 371N5753.

Temple Beth Israel, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the Temple Beth Israel synagogue, located in Portland at Northwest 19th Avenue between Northwest Glisan and Northwest Flanders streets. The photograph, taken from the southwest corner of the building, shows the west side of the synagogue. The doors at the entrance are open and a barricade stands in front of them at the top of the steps. See related image Nos. 371N5750 and 371N5753. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Temple Beth Israel, Portland

Photograph, taken from the west side of the building, showing the exterior of the Temple Beth Israel synagogue, located in Portland at Northwest 19th Avenue between Northwest Glisan and Northwest Flanders streets. The doors at the entrance are open and a barricade stands in front of them at the top of the steps. See related image Nos. 371N5750 and 371N5751.

Barnhill Tappers outside Portland Municipal Auditorium

Group portrait of children, most of them wearing matching outfits. They are standing on the steps outside the Portland Municipal Auditorium (now the Keller Auditorium). An unidentified woman is standing behind the group on the right. The text “Barnhill Tappers — 4/20/31” is written on the negative and is visible at the bottom of the image.

Thomas Jefferson statue, Jefferson High School, Portland

Photograph of a bronze statue of Thomas Jefferson on the campus of Jefferson High School in Portland. The figure of Jefferson is sitting in a chair with one arm resting on the chair back. On the side of the base is the following text, all in uppercase letters: “ ‘Bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will, to be rightful, must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal laws must protect, and to violate would be oppression.’ / Thomas Jefferson.” A cropped version of this photograph was one of 13 that were published on Page 1, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, March 10, 1929. The photographs were part of a “motorlog” describing a car trip around Portland to view public art. The spread included photographs of the statues and the car driven on the trip; a map of the route; and a story, headlined “Memorials Grace City / Notable Works of Art Adorn Parks and Plazas of Portland, as Motorlog Shows.” The photographs were published under their own headline and subheading: “Portland’s Statues Viewed Via Motor / Delightful Drive in Reo Flying Cloud over Route that Includes Locations of Twelve of Portland’s Art Treasures.” The tour began and ended at the Journal Building at Southwest Broadway and Yamhill in downtown Portland. The Jefferson statue was stop number 12 on the trip. See related image Nos. 371N5421, 371N5422, 371N5461, 371N2898, 371N2900, and 371N2901, which were also part of the spread.

Spanish-American War memorial in Portland

Photograph of a bronze statue of a man holding a rifle. The figure stands atop a pillar that bears the following words in uppercase letters: “Erected by the citizens of Oregon to the dead of the Second Oregon United States Volunteer Infantry / Anno Domini MDCCCCIV.” On the round base below the pillar are the words “First in Guam / First in Philippines.” The sculpture was made by Douglas Tilden and placed in Lownsdale Square in Portland, on Southwest 4th Avenue between Southwest Main Street and Southwest Salmon Street. The statue was dedicated on May 30, 1906. A cropped version of this photograph was one of 13 that were published on Page 1, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, March 10, 1929. The photographs were part of a “motorlog” describing a car trip around Portland to view public art. The spread included photographs of the statues and the car driven on the trip; a map of the route; and a story, headlined “Memorials Grace City / Notable Works of Art Adorn Parks and Plazas of Portland, as Motorlog Shows.” The photographs were published under their own headline and subheading: “Portland’s Statues Viewed Via Motor / Delightful Drive in Reo Flying Cloud over Route that Includes Locations of Twelve of Portland’s Art Treasures.” The tour began and ended at the Journal Building at Southwest Broadway and Yamhill in downtown Portland. The Spanish-American War memorial was stop number 1 on the trip. See related image Nos. 371N5421, 371N5422, 371N5461, 371N2898, 371N2899, and 371N2900, which were also part of the spread. Image note: Light leak on negative.

Results 1 to 28 of 1458