The Vancouver Avenue First Baptist Church stands on the southeast corner of N. Vancouver Ave. and Fargo Street. It was originally built in 1909 for the Central Methodist Episcopal Church. Vancouver Avenue (established in 1944) purchased the building in 1951 and inhabits it still. The church was renovated and enlarged in 1957-1958.
Photograph, taken from the side, showing the entrance to the First Unitarian Church at Southwest 12th Avenue and Southwest Salmon Street in Portland. The text “Unitarian Church” is written on the negative and is partially visible in the lower right corner of the image. Also see related image Nos. 372A1261 and 372A1262.
Photograph showing the First Unitarian Church at Southwest 12th Avenue and Southwest Salmon Street in Portland. Cars are parked on the street outside the church. The photograph was taken from Southwest 12th Avenue and the view is to the north. The text “Unitarian Church” is written on the negative and is partially visible in the lower right corner of the image. Also see related image Nos. 372A1260 and 372A1262.
Photograph, possibly from a copy negative, showing First Presbyterian Church at 3rd and Washington in Portland. At the front of a church is a three-story square tower. Visible in the upper left corner is the handwritten text “First Presbyterian Church. / N. W. cor. 3rd & Washington sts.” Below that is a date that could be either “July, 1881” or “July, 1887.” Image note: Light leak on negative.
Photograph showing St. David’s Parish House, a wooden church with a spire. The church was on East Morrison Street (now Southeast Morrison Street) in Portland, just east of the intersection with 12th Street (now Southeast 12th Avenue).
Photograph, taken from across the street, showing multistory buildings on 1st street (now Southwest 1st Avenue) between Ankeny and Burnside streets in downtown Portland. On the buildings are signs for the Pacific Tent & Awning Co. and the Lang & Co. Candy Factory.
Photograph showing two young men in white jackets loading a large box into the back of a Vern L. Wenger Radio Service truck. A third man is standing next to the truck, watching. On the side of the box are the words “Another RCA Victor Radio / Model 9-K / RCA Manufacturing Co. Inc. / Camden, New Jersey.” The number 2 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower left corner of the image. Vern L. Wenger was located in Portland.
Photograph showing two delivery trucks parked outside the Western Packing Company in Portland. An unidentified man is standing next to the truck on the right. A sign at over the open doors of the loading area reads “Western Packing Co. / Fresh and cured meats.” A sign on the right side of the doors reads “Manufacturers of … High Grade Sausage / Luncheon Meats.”
Photograph showing three Churn Maid Products Co. delivery trucks parked on the street. An unidentified man is standing next to each truck. On the buildings in the background are signs for Churn Maid; Dairy’s Supply Co. Inc., and Portland Stove & Furnace Repair Works. This photograph was probably taken in Portland in the 300 block of Southeast Union Avenue (now Southeast Martin Luther King Junior Boulevard). Image note: Light leak on negative.
Photograph showing two unidentified men standing outside the open loading door of a brick building with a sign reading “Italian Wine Company.” The Italian Wine Company was located at 1018 SE 8th Avenue in Portland.
Photograph showing unidentified men standing next to delivery trucks parked outside Ballif Distributing Co. facility on Southeast Second Avenue at Southeast Madison Street, Portland. On the building are signs reading (from left to right): “Mar-Vista Wines”; “Ballif Distributing Co.”; and “Schlitz and Old Milwaukee Beer.” See related image No. 372A1165.
Photograph showing a warehouse at Southeast Third Avenue and Southeast Belmont Street in Portland. Trucks are parked outside three of the loading areas. On the side of each truck are the words “Wadhams wholesale grocers.” Above the entrance to the building is a sign reading “Wadhams & Co.” Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.
Photograph showing the White King Soap Company office at Southeast Water Avenue and Southeast Madison street in Portland. A White King truck is parked outside the building, and several unidentified men are standing on the street corner. See related image No. 372A1169.
Photograph showing the exterior of The Home Plate restaurant at Southeast 49th Avenue and Southeast Hawthorne Boulevard in Portland. An unidentified man in an apron is standing in front of the building. The view is to the north. Across the top of the building are the words “ICES / ALES / CANDY / TOBACCO.” Below that are the words “THE HOME PLATE / ‘HAMBURGERS AND OTHERS.’ “ Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.
Photograph showing the exterior of the National Biscuit Company building at Northwest 12th Avenue and Northwest Davis Street in Portland. Cars and a freight truck are parked outside the building. A sign on the building reads “National Biscuit Company / Uneeda Bakers.” The view is to the east.
Photograph showing an addition under construction at the Montgomery Ward warehouse in Portland in March 1936. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 5, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, March 29, 1936, under the headline “Pouring Third Floor Block at Ward’s.” The photograph had the following caption: “Building activity is at high gear on this $750,000 project at Montgomery Ward & Co. mail order and retail center at N. W. 27th avenue and Vaughn Street, as 150 men push the nine-story addition into the air.” The photograph accompanied a story headlined “Montgomery Ward Project On Schedule.” Image note: The text “Mont - Ward 3/26/36” is written on the negative and is faintly visible in the lower right corner of the image.
Photograph showing two vehicles parked outside the Frank Fink Company warehouse at 1310 Southeast Union Avenue (now Southeast Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard) in Portland. On the side of the building are signs reading “Best Foods,” “Frank Fink Company / Food Distributors; and Nucoa. Next to a loading bay is a sign reading “Frank Fink Company / Distributors of Best Foods Products / Borden’s Cheese / Blue Moon Spreads.” This building is also shown in image No. 372A1215, when it was the Hickman Products Company Ltd. warehouse. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.
Photograph showing a Portland Bottling Co. truck parked outside the company’s building at 1271 North Williams Avenue in Portland. Signs on the building read (from left): “For the 7 Hang Overs”; “Home of 7UP”; “Takes the Ouch out of Grouch”; “Portland Bottling Co.” Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.