Showing 4278 results

Collections
Portland (Or.) With digital objects
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

O.B. Williams anniversary party

The Vancouver Baptist Church congregation celebrated the 30th anniversary of O.B. Williams as pastor in 1975. Williams formed the congregation in 1945 in Burton Homes, Washington, and facilitated its permanent move to Albina in Portland. He served as an important community and civil rights leader throughout his tenure as pastor.

First Baptist Church of Burton Homes

The Vancouver Avenue Baptist Church began as the First Baptist Church of Burton Homes, a federal wartime housing project managed by the Vancouver Housing Authority (Washington state). Most of the people in this 1945 photo of an early service were employees of the Kaiser Shipyards. The church moved to the Bagley Downs housing project later that year, then to Vanport City in 1946, and finally to the Albina neighborhood in Portland after Vanport was flooded in 1948. The current building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its significance to the history of civil rights in Oregon.

Caroline (Flanders) Couch with Caroline (Couch) Wilson and Mary Caroline (Wilson) Burns

Photograph showing Caroline Flanders Couch, her daughter, Caroline (Couch) Wilson, and grand-daughter Mary Caroline (Wilson) Burns. Georgina Burns is seated on her mother's lap. Note: photograph identifies middle woman as Clementine Lewis, but notes "should have been grandma Wilson."

Abell, Frank G., 1844-1910

Results 1 to 28 of 4278