Showing 143 results

Collections
Marion County (Or.)
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

140 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Oregon Constitutional Convention records, 1857-1859

  • Mss 1227
  • Collection
  • 1857 - 1859

Documents created during the Oregon Constitutional Convention of 1857. Includes: committee reports, drafts of articles and schedules, general notes, corrections, and other materials. Sections of the constitution represented include: preamble and bill of rights; suffrage and elections; distribution of powers; Legislative Department; Executive Department; education and school lands; finance; militia; corporations and internal improvements; seat of government; general provisions; boundaries; schedules, and related papers. Also includes printed speech of James Hughes of Indiana, on the admission of Oregon, delivered in the House of Representatives, 1859 February 10.

Oregon. Constitutional Convention (1857)

Carl D. Gabrielson at state American Legion convention in Salem, Oregon

Head and shoulders portrait, taken outdoors, of a man facing front. He is wearing a suit jacket, collared shirt, and tie. A cropped version of this photograph was one of eight that were published on Page 1 of the Oregon Journal on August 8, 1929, under the headline “Legion Hosts Answer Roll-Call At Salem.” The photographs had the following caption: “Oregon’s capital city today and for the rest of the week will be in the hands of American Legionnaires meeting annual state convention.” This photograph had the following additional caption information: “Carl D. Gabrielson, Salem, chairman of the general convention committee, who may be the new state commander or vice commander.” Also see image Nos. 371N0841, 371N0916, 371N1702, and 371N2685, which were published with this photograph, and image No. 371N0915. Image note: The text “Galbrielson [sic] – Salem” and the number 11 are written on the negative and are visible on the right side of the image.

Don McLeod of Hood River at state American Legion convention, Salem, Oregon

Head and shoulders portrait of a smiling man facing front. He is wearing a suit jacket, collared shirt, and tie. A cropped version of this photograph was one of eight that were published on Page 1 of the Oregon Journal on August 8, 1929, under the headline “Legion Hosts Answer Roll-Call At Salem.” The photographs had the following caption: “Oregon’s capital city today and for the rest of the week will be in the hands of American Legionnaires meeting annual state convention.” This photograph had the following additional caption information: “Don McLeod of Hood River, who has also been mentioned as a potentiality for commander or vice commander.” Also see image Nos. 371N0841, 371N0892, 371N0916, and 371N2685, which were published with this photograph, and image No. 371N0915. Image note: The text “Don McLeod Hood River” is written on the negative and is visible on the right side of the photograph.

Syd S. George and Don Graham at state American Legion convention in Salem, Oregon

Photograph showing two men facing each other, smiling, and holding cigarettes. Both are wearing hats and suits. They are standing in front of a window draped with bunting. A cropped version of this photograph was one of eight that were published on Page 1 of the Oregon Journal on August 8, 1929, under the headline “Legion Hosts Answer Roll-Call At Salem.” The photographs had the following caption: “Oregon’s capital city today and for the rest of the week will be in the hands of American Legionnaires meeting annual state convention.” This photograph had the following additional caption information: “Don Graham, Prineville, left, and Syd S. George, Eugene, both mentioned for state commander.” Also see image Nos. 371N0841, 371N0892, 371N1702, and 371N2685, which were published with this photograph, and image No. 371N0915. Image note: The name “Don Graham” is written on the negative next to the man on the left, and the name “Syd S. George” is written on one edge of the negative next to the man on the right. The writing is visible in the image.

Carl D. Gabrielson, Isaac L. Patterson, and Ben S. Fisher at state American Legion convention, Salem, Oregon

Photograph, taken outdoors, showing (from left) Carl D. Gabrielson, Oregon Governor Isaac L. Patterson, and Ben S. Fisher standing in a row and facing front. All three are wearing suits and ties. A cropped version of this photograph was one of eight that were published on Page 1 of the Oregon Journal on August 8, 1929, under the headline “Legion Hosts Answer Roll-Call At Salem.” The photographs had the following caption: “Oregon’s capital city today and for the rest of the week will be in the hands of American Legionnaires meeting annual state convention.” This photograph had the following additional caption information: “From left, Gabrielson [chairman of the general convention committee], Governor Patterson, who welcomed the veterans, and Ben S. Fisher, Marshfield, present commander of the Oregon department.” Also see image Nos. 371N0892, 371N0916, 371N1702, and 371N2685, which were published with this photograph, and image No. 371N0915. Image note: On the negative, the name “Carl D. Gabrielson” is written next to the man on the left, and the name “Ben S. Fisher” is written next to the man on the right.

Syd S. George of Eugene at state American Legion convention in Salem, Oregon

Head and shoulders portrait of a man, Syd S. George of Eugene, facing front and looking toward the left. He is wearing a suit jacket and vest, a collared shirt, and a tie. The photograph was taken in August 1929 in Salem, Oregon, during the state American Legion convention. The name “Syd S. George” is written on the negative, and the word “Eugene” is written just below it. The writing is visible on the right side of the image. See related image Nos. 371N0841, 371N0892, 371N0916, 371N1702, and 371N2685.

Administration building, Fairview Training Center, Salem.

Photograph showing the front of the administration building at the Fairview Training Center in Salem, Oregon. The institution was founded as the State Institution for the Feeble-Minded in 1907. Its name was changed to the Oregon Fairview Home in 1933; to the Fairview Hospital and Training Center in the mid-1960s; and to the Fairview Training Center in 1979. The institution closed in 2000. See related image Nos. 371N5756, 371N5757, 371N5759, and 371N5760. Image note: Text that may be “Matrons” is written on the negative, but the handwriting is ambiguous.

View of area near Oregon State Capitol, Salem, Oregon

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing the area surrounding the Oregon State Capitol in Salem. The view is toward the southeast. At left are State Street and, in the background, the dome of the 1876 Capitol building. At center left, along State Street, is the First Methodist Church. Partially visible at center right is the Elsinore Theatre. See related image No. 371N5726.

Dome Building, Oregon State Hospital, Salem

Photograph, taken from Center Street, showing a side view of the Dome Building at the Oregon State Hospital in Salem. The text “4 —“ is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image. This photograph may be related to image Nos. 371N5724 and 371N5725.

Front of J Building, Oregon State Hospital, Salem

Photograph showing the front of the J Building at the Oregon State Hospital in Salem. The photograph shows the driveway leading to the building, the main entrance, part of the cupola, and the portion of the building extending south from the main entrance. The text “Main Entrance Insane” and the number 3 are written on the negative; the text is visible at the bottom of the image. The hospital was originally known as the Oregon State Insane Asylum. Also see image Nos. 371N5724 and 371N5728, which may be related.

Oregon State Penitentiary, Salem

Photograph showing part of the Oregon State Penitentiary building in Salem and a path in front of the building. On the building is a sign that reads “OREGON PENITENTIARY / 1871 / W. H. WATKINDS / JO’S. HOLMAN / A. McALEXANDER / COMMISSIONERS / G. W. RHODES, ARCH’T.” Image note: Photograph quality is poor due to extensive deterioration of the negative.

Tower at Oregon State Penitentiary, Salem?

Photograph showing a two-story brick tower, probably at the Oregon State Penitentiary in Salem. The tower straddles a fence, and a stairway on the outside of the fence leads to the tower’s second story. The number 3 is written on the negative and is partially visible in the lower right corner of the image.

North side of J Building, Oregon State Hospital, Salem

Photograph showing the north side of the J Building and the grounds at the Oregon State Hospital in Salem. The text “North Side Insane” and the number 55 are written on the negative and are visible in the image. The hospital was originally known as the Oregon State Insane Asylum. Also see image Nos. 371N5725 and 371N5728, which may be related.

Results 1 to 28 of 143