Showing 4706 results

Collections
Multnomah County (Or.)
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

4684 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Hillcrest Hotel, Lucretia and Washington streets, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the Hillcrest Hotel building at Lucretia and Washington streets (now Northwest 22nd Place and West Burnside Street) in Portland. The hotel, constructed in 1911, was the Hotel Ford or Ford Hotel until 1917, when it became the Hillcrest Hotel. The hotel address was originally 733 Washington Street. On the ground floor are the King Hill Market and a combined grocery and delicatessen. See related image No. 376G0180. Image note: The text “Hillcrest Apts [sic]” is written on the negative sleeve.

Stock Exchange Building, 3rd and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the six-story Stock Exchange Building at Third and Yamhill Streets (now Southwest Third Avenue and Southwest Yamhill Street) in Portland. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 3 of the Development Section in the Oregon Journal Year’s End Number on Friday, December 26, 1913. The image was among a full page of photographs showing office buildings constructed in Portland in 1913. The photographs were published under the headline “Eleven Business Blocks Constructed During Year.” According to information on the page, the Stock Exchange Building was constructed at a cost of $75,000. Image note: The number 139 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 185 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Crowd of Christmas shoppers? in downtown Portland

Photograph showing a crowd of people in coats and hats, walking along a sidewalk. Some are carrying parcels. Garlands and other decorations are hanging from buildings and streetlights in the background. The photograph may have been taken at the corner of Southwest 5th Avenue and Southwest Alder Street in Portland, outside the Meier & Frank building.

Hollywood Arcade building, 41st and Sandy, Portland

Photograph showing the two-story Hollywood Arcade building at East 41st Street North and Sandy Boulevard (now Northeast 41st Avenue and Northeast Sandy Boulevard) in Portland. The building was adjacent to the Hollywood Theatre. Signs for the following businesses are visible on the ground floor): Gene’s Sandwich Shop; Ziegler’s Drug Store; Kienow’s Market; and Reihsen’s Better Meats. On the second floor are signs for the Hollywood College of Music and Ballet; J. W. Cormany Real Estate; and Silvanus Kingsley, lawyer.

View of downtown Portland buildings and Hawthorne Bridge

Photograph, taken from a high angle and looking toward the south, showing the Willamette River at left, the Hawthorne Bridge at top, and the downtown buildings between the Hawthorne Bridge and the Morrison Bridge. The Morrison Bridge is partially visible at the lower left edge of the photograph. The intersection at bottom center is Southwest Morrison Street and Southwest 1st Avenue.

Broadway entrance to Journal Building, downtown Portland

Photograph, taken from across the street, showing entrances to the Oregon Journal Building on Broadway (now Southwest Broadway) in Portland. At right is the entrance to Mary Cullen’s Cottage, which housed the Journal’s household arts department and a demonstration kitchen. Cars are parked on the street outside the building. The Journal Building is now known as the Jackson Tower.

Eastern Outfitting building, 10th and Washington, downtown Portland

Photograph showing the Eastern Outfitting building at 10th and Washington streets (now Southwest 10th Avenue and Southwest Washington Street) in downtown Portland shortly before it opened in March 1930. A cropped version of this photograph was one of four photographs that were published together on Page 9 of the Oregon Journal city edition on Sunday, March 16, 1930. The photographs, all related to the Eastern Outfitting Company and its president, Joseph Shemanski, were published under the headline “Huge Mercantile Venture Had Simple Beginning.” This photograph had the following caption: The new 8-story Eastern building at the southwest corner of 10th and Washington streets, which will be dedicated this week and which houses Shemanski's Eastern Outfitting company and Henry Jenning & Sons’ furniture establishment.” The photographs accompanied a story about Shemanski and his company. The story was headlined “Associates Say Shemanski Rare Business Leader” and had the subheading “Pioneer in Installment Sales Lauded; Will Open New Building March 20th.”

6th and Caruthers, Portland, looking north

Photograph, taken from the middle of the street, looking northward on Southwest Sixth Avenue in Portland. The intersection at the center is 6th and Southwest Caruthers. The photograph shows houses along 6th Avenue and an Oregon Journal car at right. A grocery store is located on the northwest corner of the intersection with Caruthers, and a Red Crown gas station is located on the northeast corner. The number 2 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image.

3rd and Burnside, Portland

Photograph, taken from the center of the street, looking west on Burnside Street in Portland. The photograph was taken from approximately Third and Burnside (now Northwest Third Avenue and West Burnside Street). The photograph shows the buildings along Burnside and vehicles in motion. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Oregon National Guard Armory and Annex, 11th and Couch, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the Oregon National Guard Armory and Annex in Portland. The photograph was taken at Eleventh and Couch (now Northwest Eleventh Avenue and Northwest Couch Street). The view is toward the northeast. See related image Nos. 371N5515 and 371N5516. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Road signs on utility pole at East Davis Street

Photograph showing road signs on a utility pole at East Davis Street in Portland. The bottom sign on the pole is the street sign for East Davis. Above that are three directional signs pointing to the right. From top to bottom, they read: “TO PAC. HWY. SOUTH / SALEM 52 / OREGON CITY 15.” Connected to the directional markers is a sign with the words “Official sign.” A the center is the logo of the American Automobile Association, surrounded by the words “OREGON STATE MOTOR ASSOCIATION.”

Industrial building?, northwest Portland

Photograph showing a large building, probably a warehouse or factory, in northwest Portland. The building is partially obscured by trees. At left are several smaller brick buildings. The Montgomery Ward building at Northwest 27th Avenue and Northwest Vaughn Street is visible in the background at left. See related image Nos. 371N5531, 371N5532, and 371N5533. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Industrial building?, northwest Portland

Photograph showing a large building, probably a warehouse or factory, in northwest Portland. Next to the main building are several smaller brick buildings. See related image Nos. 371N5530, 371N5531, and 371N5533. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Buildings on Jersey Street?, St. Johns, Portland

Photograph, taken from the street, showing a row of buildings, in St. Johns, Portland, possibly on Jersey Street. On the building at center left is a sign for Bonham and Currier; on the building at center is a sign for the Peninsula Security. On the building at far right is a sign for the Peninsula National Bank. The number 5 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image.

Site of Princess Hotel after building was moved for Burnside Bridge construction

Photograph, taken in May 1925, showing the site of the Princess Hotel at East Third and East Burnside streets (now Southeast Third Avenue and East Burnside Street) in Portland. At right is the hotel building after it was raised and then moved northward to accommodate the approach to the new Burnside Bridge. The approach is under construction at left. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 371N5589 were published on Page 16 of the Oregon Journal city edition on Monday, May 11, 1925. The photographs were published under the headline “Hotel Safely Moved to New Site.” They had the following caption: “To make room for East Burnside bridge approach, 20,000-ton Princess hotel, concrete building, was moved back 35 feet, operation being concluded late Saturday.” This photograph had the following additional caption information: “Lower picture shows distance moved, with timber construction used to sustain heavy load during its peregrination.” The photographs accompanied a story headlined “Princess Hotel Is Moved; City Saved $25,000.” The story, conflicting with the caption, reported that the building was moved 36 feet.

East Main Street and Union Avenue, Portland

Photograph taken at East Main Street and Union Avenue (now Southeast Main Street and Southeast Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard). The photograph shows the view south down Union Avenue, the buildings lining the street, and vehicles. The number 11 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the photograph. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Harbor wall near completion on west side of Willamette River, Portland

Photograph showing the harbor wall near completion on the west side of the Willamette River in Portland. The photograph was taken from the top of the wall and the view is toward the south. Dirt and construction debris are piled at right. In the distance are the 1905 Morrison Bridge and the Hawthorne Bridge. A cropped version of this photograph was one of three that were published on Page 24 of the Oregon Journal on April 4, 1929. The photographs had the following headline: “Waterfront Takes on New Dress.” This photograph had the following caption: “Looking south along the harbor wall toward the Morrison street bridge.” This photograph may be related to image No. 371N5641.

Harbor wall near completion on west side of Willamette River, Portland

Photograph showing the harbor wall near completion on the west side of the Willamette River in Portland. The view is to the north. The photograph shows the wall and mounds of earth piled at left. In the background at left are buildings east of the wall; in the background at right is the Burnside Bridge. This photograph may be related to image No. 371N5640. Image note: Negative damage at upper right.

Results 4341 to 4368 of 4706