Print preview Close

Showing 4714 results

Collections
Multnomah County (Or.)
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

4692 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Workers using machinery at B. P. John Furniture Corporation

Photograph showing two unidentified workers using a large piece of machinery at the B. P. John Furniture Corporation in Portland. On the bed of the machine is what appears to be a wooden tabletop. The text “B. P. Johns [sic] Furniture Co” is written on the negative and is visible on the left side of the photograph. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

John K. Leander Company auto dealership, Broadway North and Everett Street, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the John K. Leander Co. car dealership in Portland. The photograph was taken at the corner of Broadway North and Everett Street (now Northwest Broadway and Northwest Everett Street). See related image No. 371N5409, depicting the adjoining Leander service shop, and 371N5510. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Carlton-Ransom Lumber Company, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the Carlton-Ransom Lumber Company buildings, probably at North Interstate Avenue and North Tillamook Street in Portland. A garden shed, trellis, and Adirondack chairs are displayed outside the buildings. See related image No. 371N5546. Image note: Photograph shows spots of discoloration due to negative damage.

Porter-Scarpelli Macaroni Company factory, East Broadway, Portland

Photograph, taken from across the street, showing the exterior of the Porter-Scarpelli Macaroni Company factory at 1044 East Broadway (now approximately Northeast Broadway and Northeast 35th Avenue) in Portland.On the building next to the factory is a sign for the East Side Hardwood Floor Co. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Parlor Grocery, Northeast Fremont Street, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the Parlor Grocery on Northeast Fremont Street near Northeast 47th Avenue in Portland. Produce is displayed in the store window at left. On the windows are signs advertising prices for Ivory Soap; Royal Gelatin and Royal Pudding; Calo pet food; Pillsbury pancake flour; Lipton’s tea; Oxydol; Linit starch; Leslie salt; and Kellog's Pep. See related image No. 371N5614.

Three men with delivery trucks outside Rose City Brewing Co., NE Madrona Street, Portland

Full-length portrait of three unidentified men, each standing next to a delivery truck, outside the Rose City Brewing Company building at Northeast Madrona Street and Northeast Eighth Avenue in Portland. On the side of each truck are the words “BEAVER STATE BEER.” The number 2 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image.

Grand Central Market representatives with anniversary cake

Full-length portrait of eight men posing with a three-layer cake displayed on a table, probably at Grand Central Market on Southeast Morrison Street in Portland. On the front of the cake are the words “Our Third Anniversary.” A cropped version of this photograph and a short story were published on Page 6 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, November 6, 1932, under the headline “Market to Have Birthday.” The photograph had the following caption: “Committeemen representing the Grand Central Public market who will direct the third anniversary birthday party at the market on November 9, inspect the huge birthday cake. From left—James Rogers, Charles Gates, Herman Vielmetti, Joe Kappel, Fred Koenig, who made the cake; R. P. Lewis, J. H. Sroufe, general manager of the market, and George Bakke.”

Crowd on street in downtown Portland

Photograph showing a crowd of people filling a street in downtown Portland. The crowd is facing to the left, looking at something outside the frame, possibly a fire. A hose is visible in the lower left corner of the image. The building in the background is the Public Service Building, located on Southwest Sixth Avenue between Southwest Taylor and Southwest Salmon streets.. A Standard Oil Company Service Station and a sign with the word “Alemite” are also visible in the background.

Bank of British Columbia building, Front and Ankeny, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the Bank of British Columbia building at Front and Ankeny streets in downtown Portland. The building is three stories and has arched windows. Wooden barriers block off the front of the building, and a crane is parked at left. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Bank of British Columbia bldg Front & Ankeny, Portland’s second bank.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

View of downtown Portland buildings

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing buildings in downtown Portland. The view is toward the east. The street at bottom is Yamhill, now Southwest Yamhill Street. At lower right is the Vista Market, which was located at 4th and Yamhill.

Union Station and 6th Street, Portland

Photograph, looking north on Sixth Street (now NW 6th Avenue), showing Union Station at center. At left and right are buildings and parked cars along Sixth. On the buildings at left are signs for the Boyd Hotel and the Newport Restaurant. On the building in the foreground at right are signs for William Volker & Co. and the Washington Cycle & Supply Co. An unidentified man in uniform, possibly a Portland police uniform is standing on the corner at right. A mark that could be the letter “p” or “d” is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image.

Southeast 17th Avenue, Portland?

Photograph, taken from the middle of the road, showing the view up a street that may be Southeast 17th Avenue in Portland. At center is a railroad crossing, and at right is Every Body’s Market. On a utility pole in front of the market is a large sign that reads “DANGER / RR CROSSING.”

Princess Hotel and Burnside Bridge construction area

Photograph showing the Princess Hotel at East Third and East Burnside streets (now Southeast Third Avenue and East Burnside Street) in Portland on Monday, May 11, 1925, after the hotel was raised and moved northward to accommodate the approach to the new Burnside Bridge. That day, a cropped version of this photograph and image No. 371N5590 were published on Page 16 of the Oregon Journal’s city edition. The photographs were published under the headline “Hotel Safely Moved to New Site.” They had the following caption: “To make room for East Burnside bridge approach, 20,000-ton Princess hotel, concrete building, was moved back 35 feet, operation being concluded late Saturday.” This photograph had the following additional caption information: “Upper picture shows building as it appeared today.” The photographs accompanied a story headlined “Princess Hotel Is Moved; City Saved $25,000.” The story, conflicting with the caption, reported that the building was moved 36 feet.

Crossing guard? and children at East 7th and Clackamas Street, Portland

Photograph showing an unidentified boy, possibly a crossing guard, standing in the intersection at East Seventh Street and Clackamas Street (now Northeast 7th Avenue and Northeast Clackamas Street) in Portland. The boy is wearing a belt with a shoulder strap and is raising one hand, palm outward. A group of people are walking in the crosswalk behind him, and another group, primarily children, is standing along the side of the road at right. See related image No. 371N5594.

Williams Avenue at Russell Street, Albina, Portland

Photograph showing Williams Avenue at Russell Street (now North Williams Avenue and Northeast Russell Street) in Albina, Portland. The photograph shows vehicles and a streetcar on Williams and the buildings bordering the street. In the foreground at left is the Matthieu Drug Company; a sign for J. C. Penney Co. is also visible in the background at left. In the foreground at right is Groves Hardware; a sign for the Berg-McLaren is also visible next door to Groves. Image note: The number 2 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image.

Union Avenue and Shaver Street, Portland

Photograph showing buildings, streetcar tracks, and parked cars on Union Avenue (now Northeast Martin Luther King Boulevard) in Portland. The photograph was taken at the intersection of Union and Shaver Street (now Northeast Shaver Street), and the view is toward the south. At far left, an unidentified woman is standing on the sidewalk at the corner of Union and Shaver. On the building behind her is a sign for the Ryan Sweet Shop. Image note: The number 9 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image.

Side view of entrance to Kamm Block, Pine Street, Portland

Photograph, taken from the side, showing the exterior of the ornate entrance to the Kamm block on Pine Street (now Southwest Pine Street) between Front and First in Portland. Above the doorway is a balcony; just below the balcony are two male figures carved to look as though they are supporting the balcony on their backs. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Attractive entry to Kamm Block built in 1884.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, and 371N5470, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Tommy Luke playing Santa at Christmas party for orphans

Photograph of children gathered around a man dressed as Santa Claus, crouching in front of a stack of wrapped gifts. The man is Tommy Luke; the children are unidentified. This photograph and two others were published on Page 1 of the Oregon Journal on December 18, 1934, under the headline “Breakfast Clubbers Prove Santa Real.” The photographs accompanied a story about the party, titled “Santa Claus Hails Orphans at Breakfast.” The party was held at Hotel Portland, and more than 100 children attended. The party included music and clowns, and the children were given gifts and gray tin helmets. See image No. 371N0477, which was published with this image, and image No. 371N0962, which was not published with the story but may also have been taken at the party.

Two unidentified girls in costume, posing outside YWCA building in Portland

Half-length portrait of two unidentified teenage girls posing outside the YWCA building at Southwest Broadway and Southwest Taylor Street in Portland. They are standing side by side, facing front and wearing costumes. The girl at left is wearing a cap, a vest, a dress with puffed sleeves, and a lace apron. The girl at right is wearing a cap, a blouse and a vest. See related image Nos. 374N0130 and 374N0132. The text “YWCA” is written on the negative and is visible on the left side of the image.

Portland house, 67 Shaver Street, where A. W. Norblad was sworn in as governor of Oregon

Photograph showing the exterior of the house at 67 Shaver Street (now North Shaver Street) where A. W. Norblad took the oath of office as governor of Oregon on Sunday, December 22, 1929. Norblad, president of the Oregon Senate, succeeded Governor Isaac L. Patterson after he died of pneumonia on December 21, 1929. According to an Oregon Journal story on Monday, December 23, 1929, the Shaver Street house was the home of Norblad's sister, brother-in-law, and mother. Also see related image No. 371N1885, showing Norblad and his family on the front steps of the house the day he was sworn in.

Results 85 to 112 of 4714