Showing 39 results

Collections
Oregon Churches
Print preview View:

37 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Vancouver Avenue First Baptist Church collection, 1940-2015

  • Coll 189
  • Collection
  • 1940 - 2015

The collection covers various aspects of the history of the church and of its leader, Rev. O.B. Williams, and his wife Willa Jackson Williams. It includes a variety of photographs, with a large percentage of the images relating to the various church groups, including choirs, youth groups, and ushers. A large collection of members’ memorial cards, the pastoral anniversaries of Rev. Williams, some bibles and hymnals (many annotated by Rev. Williams, including two dated 1867 and 1890), church financial records and meeting minutes, and a collection of materials from Dr. Martin Luther King’s 1961 visit are included. A small collection of the Williams’ personal photographs and ephemera can also be found in collection.

Vancouver Avenue First Baptist Church (Portland, Or.)

First Baptist Church of Burton Homes

The Vancouver Avenue Baptist Church began as the First Baptist Church of Burton Homes, a federal wartime housing project managed by the Vancouver Housing Authority (Washington state). Most of the people in this 1945 photo of an early service were employees of the Kaiser Shipyards. The church moved to the Bagley Downs housing project later that year, then to Vanport City in 1946, and finally to the Albina neighborhood in Portland after Vanport was flooded in 1948. The current building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its significance to the history of civil rights in Oregon.

Lee Owen Stone papers, 1903-1977

  • Mss 2423
  • Collection
  • 1930 - 1977

Collection includes: Correspondence, sermons, awards and certificates, files from his activity in the Urban League of Portland and other civil and philanthropic associations, Minutes of meetings for Men's Club of St. Philip's Church, missionaries' quarterly reports, etc.

Stone, Lee Owen, 1903-1977

Bethel AME Church

Unidentified members of the congregation standing in front of the east side of the Bethel AME (African Methodist Episcopal) Church. The Bethel AME Church once stood on the corner of N. Larrabee Ave. and N. McMillen Street. It was torn down in the 1950s when the city built the Memorial Coliseum.

Beech Street Swedish Methodist Episcopal Church, Portland

Photograph showing the Beech Street Swedish Methodist Episcopal Church in Portland. Outside the church are two boys playing on a tricycle. The church was located at the corner of Beech and Borthwick streets, now North Beech Street and North Borthwick Avenue. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

First Unitarian Church, Portland

Photograph, taken from the side, showing the entrance to the First Unitarian Church at Southwest 12th Avenue and Southwest Salmon Street in Portland. The text “Unitarian Church” is written on the negative and is partially visible in the lower right corner of the image. Also see related image Nos. 372A1261 and 372A1262.

First Unitarian Church, Portland

Photograph showing the First Unitarian Church at Southwest 12th Avenue and Southwest Salmon Street in Portland. Cars are parked on the street outside the church. The photograph was taken from Southwest 12th Avenue and the view is to the north. The text “Unitarian Church” is written on the negative and is partially visible in the lower right corner of the image. Also see related image Nos. 372A1260 and 372A1262.

First Unitarian Church, Portland

Photograph, taken from the side, showing the entrance to the First Unitarian Church at Southwest 12th Avenue and Southwest Salmon Street in Portland. The text “Unitarian Church” is written on the negative and is partially visible in the lower right corner of the image. Also see related image Nos. 372A1260 and 372A1261.

First Presbyterian Church, Portland

Photograph, possibly from a copy negative, showing First Presbyterian Church at 3rd and Washington in Portland. At the front of a church is a three-story square tower. Visible in the upper left corner is the handwritten text “First Presbyterian Church. / N. W. cor. 3rd & Washington sts.” Below that is a date that could be either “July, 1881” or “July, 1887.” Image note: Light leak on negative.

Results 1 to 28 of 39