Showing 107 results

Collections
Multnomah County (Or.) With digital objects
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

View of 6th Street, downtown Portland

Photograph, taken from the middle of the road, showing streetcar tracks running down what is probably 6th Street, now Southwest 6th Avenue, in Portland. At left center is Terwilliger Garage. The number 3 is written on the negative and is visible in the bottom right corner of the image.

Building at 16th and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph of a seven-story building at the corner of 16th and Yamhill streets (now Southwest 16th Avenue and Southwest Yamhill Street) in Portland. A sign for the Hotel Mallory is visible at upper right. Image note: Photograph quality is poor due to extensive deterioration of the negative.

United States National Bank building, Portland

Photograph showing the front of the United States National Bank building in Portland and cars passing on the street. The photograph was taken from the corner of 6th and Stark streets, now Southwest 6th Avenue and Southwest Stark Street. The number 7 is written on the negative and is partially visible at the top of the image.

View of downtown Portland from top of Public Service Building

Photograph, taken from the top of the Public Service Building, showing downtown buildings in southwest Portland. A cropped version of this photograph was one of four published on Page 1, Section 3, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, August 19, 1928. The photographs were published under the headline “Around-the-Weather-Vane Views of Down Town Portland.” They had the caption: “Portland’s imposing skyline when viewed from the top of the Public Service building, has many points of interest.” This photograph had the following additional caption information: “1—Looking to the northwest, with The Journal tower, the Portland hotel and the American Bank building in the foreground.” The Journal tower is now known as the Jackson Tower. See related image Nos. 371N5419, 371N5435, and 371N5484, which were published with this photograph.

Carstens Packing Company, Front Street, Portland

Photograph, taken from across the street, showing a truck parked outside a three-story brick building on Front Street between Stark and Washington in downtown Portland. A sign on the front of the building reads “Carstens Packing Co.” A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Original home of Ladd & Tilton Bank on Front Street / The first two stories were Portland’s first brick building / Built in 1853.” Wharton reported that the third story had been added later. See related image Nos. 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Esmond rooming house, Front and Morrison, Portland

Photograph showing a four-story building on Front and Morrison streets (now Southwest Morrison Street) in Portland. The building has bay windows on the second and third floors. On the ground floor is a sign for Oregon Sheet Metal Works. The 1905 Morrison Bridge is partially visible in the background. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Last wing of the New Esmond Hotel - Front & Morrison Sts.” The story reported that the hotel opened in 1878, but only the portion of the building shown in this photograph remained in 1928, and it operated as the Esmond rooming house. See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Four-story brick building, 22nd and Sandy, Portland

Photograph showing a four-story brick building at Northeast Sandy Boulevard and Northeast 22nd Avenue in Portland. The building has a hexagonal gable with a tile roof. The view is of the northeast side of the building. On the right side of the photograph is a sign on the building for “Peake The Shade Man.”

Masonic Temple, West Park Street, Portland

Photograph of the Masonic Temple on West Park Street (now Southwest Park Avenue) in Portland. The photograph was taken at the intersection of Park and Madison Street. The streets next to the building are lined with parked cars. The temple is now part of the Portland Art Museum and is known as the Mark Building. See related image No. 373G0448.

St. Charles Hotel building, Front and Morrison, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the St. Charles Hotel building at Front and Morrison (now Southwest Morrison Street) in Portland. The four-story building is brick and has arched windows and a mansard roof. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “St. Charles Hotel, Front & Morrison, finest of Portland’s hotels when built in 1869.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

New Market Theatre building, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the New Market Theater building in downtown Portland and several cars parked on the street. On the ground floor is the Multnomah Hotel Garage car-repair shop. The building is bordered by Southwest 1st and 2nd avenues and Southwest Ash and Ankeny streets. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Entrance to Newmarket Building / First Street / Portland’s finest theatre from 1872 to 1885.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5397, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

View of 6th Street, downtown Portland, facing southwest

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing the view down 6th Street in Portland (now Southwest 6th Avenue). The intersection at the bottom of the image is 6th and Washington, and the view is to the southwest. The tower of the Oregonian building and the Northwestern National Bank building (now the American Bank Building) are visible at top right. The Meier & Frank building is at center left.

Studio Building at corner of West Park and Taylor, Portland

Photograph showing the nine-story Studio Building at West Park and Taylor streets (now Southwest 9th Avenue and Southwest Taylor Street) in Portland. To the right is the attached theater, which later became the Guild Theatre. The building was completed in 1927. The photograph was taken from Taylor Street and the view is toward the northwest.

Masonic Temple, West Park Street, Portland

Photograph of the Masonic Temple on West Park Street (now Southwest Park Avenue) in Portland. The photograph was taken at the intersection of Park and Main Street. The streets next to the building are lined with parked cars. The temple is now part of the Portland Art Museum and is known as the Mark Building.

10th and Washington streets, downtown Portland

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing cars and buildings along Washington Street (now Southwest Washington Street) in Portland. The photograph was taken at the intersection of Washington and 10th Street (now Southwest 10th Avenue) and the view is to the southeast. On the left side of the image is a sign for the Northwestern Electric Co., located in the Pittock Block. A sign for The Hazelwood restaurant is visible on the building in the foreground at right.

View of 6th Street, downtown Portland, facing north

Photograph showing the view of traffic and buildings on Sixth Street (now Southwest Sixth Avenue) in Portland. The view is to the north. The intersection at the bottom of the image is Morrison Street (now Southwest Morrison Street). At center right is the Meier & Frank building. The number 6 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper right corner of the image.

Morrison Street, downtown Portland, facing northwest

Photograph showing traffic and buildings along Morrison Street (now Southwest Morrison Street) in downtown Portland. The intersection at center is 6th and Morrison. At left front is Pioneer Courthouse, and at left center is the Portland Hotel. At upper right is the Northwestern National Bank Building, now known as the American Bank Building. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

View of 6th Street, downtown Portland, facing south

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing traffic and buildings along 6th Street (now Southwest 6th Avenue) in Portland. The view is toward the south. The intersection at center is 6th and Oak Street. At right center is the Wells Fargo Building. The tower of the Oregonian building is partially visible in the distance at right. Also visible are signs for the Virginia Hotel (lower left); the Guaranty Building (center left); the National Portland Garages (lower right); Faturo's Mens Wear (lower right); and the Columbia Theatre (arched above the street in the distance).

Masonic Temple, West Park Street, Portland

Photograph of the Masonic Temple on West Park Street (now Southwest Park Avenue) in Portland. The photograph was taken at the intersection of Park and Madison Street. The streets next to the building are lined with parked cars. The temple is now part of the Portland Art Museum and is known as the Mark Building.

Results 1 to 28 of 107