Photograph of a picture of a city street, possibly 5th Street (now Southwest Fifth Avenue) in Portland. The picture, taken from a high vantage, shows buildings and streetcars. The building at left may be the Meier & Frank building at 5th and Morrison. At bottom center is a sign for Moore’s Cafeteria.
Negatives documenting company activities, including electrical infrastructure, employees, power generation and distribution throughout Portland, the Willamette Valley and the Oregon Cascade Range. Additional general images include streetcars and trains, street lighting, power line installation, Rose Festival floats, office buildings, car barns and bridges. Of particular note are dam building projects at Bull Run and along the Clackamas River (1910-1930), and early electric stations in Oregon City at Willamette Falls.
Collection consists of photographs collected by the Tabor family. Most of the photographs are believed to have been taken or acquired by J. W. Tabor and Margaret Tabor during a trip to Portland, Oregon in 1895. Subjects include various views of Portland, including City Park (now Washington Park) gardens and bear pit, Mount Tabor reservoir, the Portland Heights cable car line, the Willamette River waterfront, and the Morrison Bridge; Celilo Falls; photographs of James Waucop Tabor, Margaret S. McNulty Tabor and her cousin, Alice Bachman Bettner; and a coroner's investigation of a body found in a mining camp near Granite, Oregon. None of the photographers are identified.
A wrecked St. Tabor street car at S.E. 76th Avenue and S.E. Taylor Street in Portland. The derailed street car can be seen in the yard and partially inside a home at 7603 S.E. Taylor Street. This photograph was published in the Oregon Journal on Monday, September 3, 1945 (negative 1 of 3).
A wrecked St. Tabor street car at S.E. 76th Avenue and S.E. Taylor Street in Portland. The derailed street car can be seen in the yard and partially inside a home at 7603 S.E. Taylor Street. This photograph was published in the Oregon Journal on Monday, September 3, 1945 (negative 3 of 3).
People from the Bay Area Electric Railroad Association visiting Portland. The group stands in front of a train car near an Alder Street station. The president of the association, Arthur Lloyd, and his wife, can be seen waving out the front window of the train car. A cropped version of this photograph was published in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, May 31, 1947 (negative 1 of 1).
A train with a “Bellrose” sign at the front traveling down a track surrounded by flood water in the Johnson Creek area of Portland. A man with suitcases stands at the side of the track. A photograph from this series was published in the Oregon Journal on Wednesday, January 7, 1947 (negative 1 of 11).
Three Portland streetcar employees stand in the doorway of a Willamette Heights car, on the occasion of its last run. One man stands on the steps of the streetcar, while two others flank either side of the door. A more modern Portland bus is parked next to the retired streetcar at the left side of the frame. Left to right: Merle Pearson (bus operator), Leroy Whitney (retiring operator), and Jack Post (car operator). Photographs from this series were published in the Oregon Journal on Sunday, February 26, 1950 (negative 1 of 16).
Riders on the last run of the Willamette Heights streetcar in Portland. Several people are smiling at the camera while holding ceiling straps on the train. This photograph was published in the Oregon Journal on Sunday, February 26, 1950 (negative 2 of 16).
People boarding the “Twenty Third” train in downtown Portland, on the occasion of its retirement. People are lined up outside the doorway of the train, as a teenager boards. Photographs from this series were published in the Oregon Journal on Sunday, February 26, 1950 (negative 3 of 16).
A Willamette Heights streetcar on the occasion of its last run before retirement. The streetcar is traveling uphill on a bridge on N.W. Thurman Street towards Forest Park. A sign a the top of the streetcar reads “Willamette Hts.” Photographs from this series were published in the Oregon Journal on Sunday, February 26, 1950 (negative 4 of 16).
A Willamette Heights streetcar on the occasion of its last run before retirement. A conductor and two women are holding a cable attached to the front of the streetcar. A sign over the top of the car reads “Willamette Hts.” Photographs from this series were published in the Oregon Journal on Sunday, February 26, 1950 (negative 6 of 16).
Street view of Piedmont car barn building at North Killingsworth Street and North Mississippi Avenue, showing two individuals in suits standing in front. A packed dirt street runs in front of the building, with a white wooden building seen on the right side. Numerous wooden poles and power lines can be seen throughout the image, as well as a wooden water tower in the distance.
Photograph showing a small horse street car, with “Columbia Land Improvement Co.” written on the side. The car sits on a track on a wooden platform. The photograph is a reproduction of a pinned image (pins can be seen on the frame) with the caption “Horse Car.”
Photograph showing a cable car during the “Great Flood of Portland” in 1894. Several men and women sit in the car, and four men stand in the water, all looking at the camera. On the right side, a woman and a baby are visible. The photograph is a reproduction of a pinned image (pins can be seen on the frame), and the caption reads “Photos, of the Great Flood of Portland, Or. June 4th 1894.” Also on the caption is written “Pro. G. L. Eastman Cor, First and Taylor Streets.”
Photograph showing employees with street car in front of the East Ankeny car barn. Written on the building is “PRL & P Co.” (Portland Rail Light & Power Company). Several men sit on the roof of the train, while others line up in the windows and in front. A wooden water tower can be seen in the background. Photograph is a reproduction of a framed image (frame is clearly visible).
Photograph showing a night crew at the Sellwood car barn, with car #1093. The group is looking at the camera while standing in front of the train car. Two men stand on a step in the doorway, while others stand at ground level. All men are wearing work clothes, including either jackets or overalls.
Photograph showing a wrecked building with street cars in the debris. Several men stand on top of one of the cars while looking at the camera. A large pile of building debris surrounds the cars, and other buildings can be seen in the background. The photograph is a reproduction of a printed image.
Photograph showing multiple horse-drawn streets cars, shown in front of a building. People stand near the cars while looking at the camera, and at least one horse can be seen, attached to the first car. Written on the side of the cars is “W.B.BT Co.” The photograph is a reproduction of a pinned image (pins can be seen on the frame) with the caption “In the Old Street Car Days.”
Photograph of street car #700, with conductor standing at front window pointing straight. Written on the front of the train is a sign saying “Portland Car Service is Unsurpassed,” and “Sellwood” is indicated at the top. A small kiosk building is visible on the right side of the frame. The photograph is a reproduction of a pinned image (pins can be seen on the frame), with the caption “Modern P-A-Y-E Car.”
Photograph showing horse cars on the corner of Grand Avenue and East Morrison Street in East Portland. A wooden building can be seen on the corner, with other building visible behind. Two horse-drawn street cars can be seen at either sides of the frame, and three other horse-drawn carts with riders are visible near the center. Several men stand at the entrance to the building on the corner, looking at the camera. The photograph is a reproduction of a pinned image (pins can be seen on the frame) with the caption “Horse car-line on Grand Ave and E. Morrison.” On the photo frame “Eastman, photo” is written.
Photograph showing train car #78 for the Portland Consolidated Railway Company, seen in in front of several wooden houses on a residential street. Numerous tracks can be seen on the road in front of the car, and the attached electric lines are visible above. One half of the car is enclosed, while the other is open-air.