Collection includes: Correspondence, sermons, awards and certificates, files from his activity in the Urban League of Portland and other civil and philanthropic associations, minutes of meetings for Men's Club of St. Philip the Deacon Episcopal Church, missionaries' quarterly reports, etc.
Photographs and other materials that were assembled for the Northwest Black Heritage exhibit at the Oregon Historical Society, documenting the history and activities of the Oregon Association of Colored Women's Clubs and its constituent groups. The photographs depict the presidents of the Oregon Association of Colored Women's Clubs, including Katherine Gray, the association's first president; state and regional conventions; affiliated clubs; community service activities; winners of the association's Katherine Gray Memorial Scholarship; and federated girls' clubs associated with the organization. Also included is a photograph of the exhibit panel and photocopies of newspaper clippings and other materials used in the exhibit panel.
The Vancouver Avenue First Baptist Church stands on the southeast corner of N. Vancouver Ave. and Fargo Street. It was originally built in 1909 for the Central Methodist Episcopal Church. Vancouver Avenue (established in 1944) purchased the building in 1951 and inhabits it still. The church was renovated and enlarged in 1957-1958.
Members of the Katherine Gray Club pack canned food into a box during a meeting in 1956. Katherine Gray, along with Hattie Redmond, co-founded the Colored Women’s Equal Suffrage League and worked with Beatrice Cannady to protest the showing of “Birth of a Nation,” the racist 1915 film by D.W. Griffith. She was also the president of the Oregon Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs, which created a club in her honor.
An unidentified female employee of a shipyard in Portland during WWII takes a lunch break. Women were recruited into wartime industry jobs when men were sent overseas. Portland’s shipyards attracted thousands of women and African American workers looking for skilled, high-wage jobs.
Edward Freeman? and his children standing in front of Freeman's Second-Hand Store. Edward Freeman ran a second-hand store on Union Avenue (now NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd) near what is now Fremont Park. He and his wife Ida moved with their son Theodore from Colorado in about 1915. They had two daughters in Portland, Ida and Gertrude.
Photograph of two boxers in the ring during a bout at Multnomah Civic Stadium in Portland on September 6, 1935. The boxer at left is Barney Ross; the boxer at right is Baby Joe Gans (also known as Gerald Slaughter). Ross won the match by knockout. Image note: The name “Barney Ross” is written on the negative and is visible on the left side of the image.
Photograph of two boxers standing in the ring, facing one another, at Multnomah Civic Stadium in Portland on September 6, 1935. They are surrounded by a small group of unidentified men. The boxer at left is Barney Ross; the boxer at right is Baby Joe Gans (also known as Gerald Slaughter). Ross won the match with Gans by knockout. Image note: The name “Barney Ross” is written on the negative and is faintly visible on the left side of the image.
Portrait of smiling children posing next to a table during a birthday party for Teddy McDaniel (center) at the Cotton Club in Portland on May 23, 1934. A birthday cake is on the table in front of McDaniel. According to a story about the party on Page 12 of the Oregon Journal on May 25, 1934, McDaniel was a performer in stage shows led by entertainer Ted Lewis, and the party celebrated McDaniel’s eighth birthday. See related image No. 371N1518.
The 1953 Annual Report of the Urban League of Portland, “8 years of interracial progress.” The report includes descriptions of the organization’s progress toward equal opportunity for black Oregonians.
Portrait of George Singleton. Singleton was an early resident of Portland, who at one time lived on the northwest corner of Alder Street and Sixth Ave. He likely held many professions, as most early settlers did, but he is listed in the 1882 City Directory as a "hackman" (driver) for Acker and Leahy, a city stables on Washington (Burnside) and Stark.
Participants in the annual LINKS Art Show in the Portland State University ballroom, 1968, included (left to right) Fekerete Asfaw (Ethiopa); Barbara Wong Huey (Portland); Sharon Vickers, seated (Portland); and Laura Russell (Portland).
Members of the Prince Hall Masons, a fraternal organization for black men that formed as chapters in the Northwest in the 1880s and 1890s. The Prince Hall chapter in Portland was organized in 1891, and its Grand Lodge was located on NE Russell Street (now the Secret Society bar). The Prince Hall Masons are still active in Portland.
Unidentified members of the congregation standing in front of the east side of the Bethel AME (African Methodist Episcopal) Church. The Bethel AME Church once stood on the corner of N. Larrabee Ave. and N. McMillen Street. It was torn down in the 1950s when the city built the Memorial Coliseum.
Portrait of a boy, Teddy McDaniel, sitting at a table and posing with his birthday cake during a party at the Cotton Club in Portland on May 23, 1934. McDaniel is smiling and holding a knife as though about to cut the cake. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 12 of the Oregon Journal on May 25, 1934. It had the following caption: “Teddy McDaniel, pal of Ted Lewis and hit of the latter’s show at the Oriental, cutting the cake that made his eighth birthday anniversary, Wednesday, the best ever.” According to a short story accompanying the photograph, McDaniel was a performer in stage shows led by entertainer Ted Lewis, and Lewis was among those to attend the party. See related image No. 371N1517. Image note: Photograph is out of focus.
The Vancouver Avenue Baptist Church began as the First Baptist Church of Burton Homes, a federal wartime housing project managed by the Vancouver Housing Authority (Washington state). Most of the people in this 1945 photo of an early service were employees of the Kaiser Shipyards. The church moved to the Bagley Downs housing project later that year, then to Vanport City in 1946, and finally to the Albina neighborhood in Portland after Vanport was flooded in 1948. The current building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its significance to the history of civil rights in Oregon.