Showing 2704 results

Collections
Oregon Journal Photographic Negatives Portland (Or.)
Print preview View:

2699 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Vice President John Nance Garner at barbershop, Union Station, Portland

Photograph of United States Vice President John Nance Garner in a barber’s chair at Union Station in Portland during a brief stop on October 14, 1935, while he was traveling to Seattle and then the Philippines. At right is an unidentified man, possibly Senator Frederick Steiwer of Oregon. A cropped version of this photograph was one of three that were published on the front page of the Oregon Journal on October 15, 1935, under the headline “The Garner Whiskers Come Off.” This photograph had the following caption: Vice President John Nance Garner in the barber’s chair at the Union station Monday night. Thomas W. Beete about to wield the razor.” The photographs accompanied a story, headlined “Crowd Sees Garner Get Face Shaved.” See related image Nos. 372A0216, 372A0217, and 372A0218. Image note: The name “Garner” is written on the negative and is visible at the bottom of the image.

Band marching in Portland parade

Photograph of a band, possibly a military band, marching in a Portland parade. They are downtown, on Yamhill Street near the intersection with Park Avenue. The street is lined with spectators. Image note: Light leaks on negative. Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Military band marching in parade

Photograph of an unidentified military band marching in a parade in Portland. They are downtown, on Yamhill Street near the intersection with Park Avenue. The street is lined with spectators. Image note: Light leaks on negative.

Williams Avenue at Russell Street, Albina, Portland

Photograph showing Williams Avenue at Russell Street (now North Williams Avenue and Northeast Russell Street) in Albina, Portland. The photograph shows vehicles and a streetcar on Williams and the buildings bordering the street. In the foreground at left is the Matthieu Drug Company; a sign for J. C. Penney Co. is also visible in the background at left. In the foreground at right is Groves Hardware; a sign for the Berg-McLaren is also visible next door to Groves. Image note: The number 2 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image.

St. Johns Bridge, Portland

Photograph showing the St. Johns Bridge in northwest Portland. The photograph was taken from the center of the roadway on the west end of the bridge, and shows the incline of the roadway toward the center of the bridge. The bridge’s eastern arch is framed inside the western arch. This photograph may be related to image Nos. This photograph may be related to image Nos. 371N5538 and 371N5542. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

St. Johns Bridge, Portland

Photograph, taken from the west side of the Willamette River, showing the St. Johns Bridge in northwest Portland. This photograph may be related to image Nos. 371N5538 and 371N5543. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

St. Johns Bridge, Portland

Photograph, taken from the west side of the Willamette River, showing the St. Johns Bridge in northwest Portland. A C-H Line ship is sailing under the bridge. This photograph may be related to image Nos. 371N5542 and 371N5543.

Jersey Street?, St. Johns, Portland

Photograph, taken from the center of the road, showing the view down a street, possibly Jersey Street, in St. Johns, Portland. On the side of the building at center right is a sign that reads “H. E. CLARK / THE FURNITURE MAN.” The number 4 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image.

Buildings on Jersey Street?, St. Johns, Portland

Photograph, taken from the street, showing a row of buildings, in St. Johns, Portland, possibly on Jersey Street. On the building at center left is a sign for Bonham and Currier; on the building at center is a sign for the Peninsula Security. On the building at far right is a sign for the Peninsula National Bank. The number 5 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image.

Golfers outside clubhouse at Inverness Golf Course

Full-length portrait of 14 unidentified men posing in two rows outside the clubhouse at the Inverness Golf Club off Sandy Boulevard near Parkrose, Portland. The men in the front row are crouching, and the men in the back row are standing. Also see image No. 371N5624. Image note: Negative damage at upper center.

Golfers outside clubhouse at Inverness Golf Course

Full-length portrait of 14 unidentified men posing in two rows outside the clubhouse at the Inverness Golf Club off Sandy Boulevard near Parkrose, Portland. The men in the front row are crouching, and the men in the back row are standing. Also see image No. 371N5625. Image note: Negative damage at lower left.

Three men with barrel at Columbia Distributing Co., Portland

Photograph showing three unidentified men posing with a barrel at the Columbia Distributing Company in Portland. The barrel is lying on its side, and the man at center is filling it with a hose attached to a processing tank. The man at right is pointing to the end of the barrel, where the following text is stamped: “Columbia Distributing Co. / Rectifier / Portland, Ore. / Loganberry / Ser. No. 1 / W. G. 4S. 20 / PR. 22 / P. G. 10. 60 / Filled S 24 37.”

Diners at luncheon in honor of officers of USS Constitution, Laurelhurst Park, Portland

Photograph showing people dining at long tables during an outdoor luncheon honoring officers of the frigate USS Constitution on August 9, 1933. The luncheon was held at Laurelhurst Park in Portland. The Constitution and crew visited Portland from August 2 to August 22, 1933, as part of a national tour. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 3 of the Oregon journal on August 9, 1933, under the headline “Dinner in Park Fetes ‘Old Ironsides.’ ” The photograph had the following caption: “Civic luncheon, preceding dedication of marker to veteran of Constitution, is held under towering firs in Laurelhurst park. At the head table were Lieutenant Commander Henry Hartley and Lieutenants D. W. Lyon and W. J. Dean and Dan E Gould, general chairman of program. Descendants of heroic figures of Constitution’s history were introduced.” The photograph accompanied the continuation of a front-page story about the luncheon. See related image Nos. 371N3723, also taken at the luncheon, and 371N3725, which may depict the marker dedication referred to in the caption for this photograph.

Diners at luncheon in honor of officers of USS Constitution, Laurelhurst Park, Portland

Photograph showing people seated at a long table during an outdoor luncheon honoring officers of the frigate USS Constitution on August 9, 1933. The luncheon was held at Laurelhurst Park in Portland. The Constitution and crew visited Portland from August 2 to August 22, 1933, as part of a national tour. A story about the luncheon, headlined “Citizens Honor Officers From Old Ironsides,” was published on the front page of the Oregon Journal on August 9, 1933. Also see image No. 371N3723.

Broadway Bridge, Portland, with bascule raised during construction

Photograph showing the Broadway Bridge in Portland with one bascule raised in March 1913, while the bridge was under construction. A cropped version of this photograph and a short story were published on Page 17 of the Oregon Journal on Thursday, Mary 6, 1913, under the headline “Move 2000 Tons Easily In Bridge Test.” The photograph had the following caption: “West leaf of the Broadway bridge bascule in place.” The story reported that the leaf had worked almost perfectly in tests, that the east leaf would be tested within a week, and the bridge was expected to be completed April 1. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Group of golfers posing near clubhouse

Group portrait of unidentified male golfers posing with clubs on the lawn near a building that may be the clubhouse at the Columbia Country Club in Portland (now known as the Columbia Edgewater Country Club). Most of the golfers are posing with their clubs raised, as though about to swing.

Walter Hagen holding club

Portrait, taken from the side, of Walter Hagen outdoors, standing behind a golf ball on a tee and holding a golf club in front of him. Hagen is wearing a collared shirt, tie, sweater, knickers, and golf shoes. The building in the background is the clubhouse at the Columbia Country Club in Portland (now known as the Columbia Edgewater Country Club).

Mel Smith, Frank Dolp, and Walter Hagen on golf course

Photograph of three golfers, at the Columbia Country Club in Portland (now known as the Columbia Edgewater Country Club). The three men are holding golf clubs and are gathered next to a ball on a tee. All three are wearing collared shirts, ties, sweaters, knickers, and golf shoes. The man on the left is Mel Smith and the man at center is Frank Dolp; the man at right is Walter Hagen. Also see image No. 371N4571.

Fountain and garden at M. Lloyd Frank estate, Palatine Hill, Portland

Photograph showing a fountain and garden at the M. Lloyd Frank estate, Fir Acres, on Palatine Hill in Portland. The fountain consists of a fish sculpture at the center of a pool of stone blocks. Plants border the fountain on all sides. In the background is a wide path between two large garden beds. An unidentified person is working in the garden at center left.. The grounds are now part of Lewis & Clark College.

Tito Schipa posing on Oregon Pony locomotive

Portrait of the Italian tenor Tito Schipa posing on the Oregon Pony. He is standing at the front of the locomotive and facing to the right. He is holding the control lever with one hand and shading his eyes with the other hand. The name “Tito Schipa” is written on the negative and is visible on the left side of the image. See related image Nos. 371N2266 and 371N2267.

Portland Mayor George L. Baker congratulating police Captain John T. Moore on retirement

Photograph showing Portland Mayor George L. Baker shaking hands with Portland police Captain John T. Moore in the council chambers at City Hall on October 26, 1932. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 2 of the Oregon Journal home edition that day under the headline “39 Long Years of It.” The photograph had the following caption: “Mayor George L. Baker (standing at left) congratulating Captain John T. Moore, veteran police officer, on completion of his 39 years of service. Moore will retire November 1. At the right is Chief of Police [Leon V.] Jenkins. In front of the group are Sigel Grutze, deputy city auditor, who has had 42 years’ service with the city, and Mrs. George Houck, assistant clerk of the city council.” Image note: The text “Insp Moore” is written on the negative and is visible on the left side of the photograph.

Dr. C. U. Moore examining baby at Infant Welfare Association clinic, south Portland

Photograph showing Dr. C. U. Moore, medical director of a well-baby clinic in South Portland, listening to an unidentified baby’s lungs with a stethoscope. A cropped version of this photograph was one of two published on Page 12 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, January 16, 1921, under the headline “Keeping Babies Well.” The photographs had the caption: “Views of Infant Welfare association clinic in South Portland.” This photograph had the following additional caption information: “Dr. C. U. Moore making lung test.” The photographs accompanied a story with the headline “Better Babies Is Object Off [sic] Clinic Conducted Here” and the subheading “Skeptical at First, Mothers Fast Learning Their Infants Thrive as Result of Recommendations.” Image note: The text “Moore, Dr.” is written on the negative sleeve.

Man examining baby during eugenics test at Multnomah County Courthouse

Photograph showing an unidentified man examining an unidentified baby during a eugenics test at the Multnomah County Courthouse in Portland in April 1920. The man is holding a tongue depressor toward the baby’s open mouth. A cropped and reversed version of this photograph was published on Page 12, the Mother’s Forum, of the Oregon Journal city edition on Monday, April 12, 1920. The photograph had the following caption: “One of the several examinations given in the eugenics tests made at the Parents’ Educational bureau, 551 courthouse, every Wednesday. The tests are for mental and physical defects and advice is given for their correction.”

Results 1 to 28 of 2704