Showing 8 results

Collections
Jackson Tower glass plate negatives
Print preview View:

8 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

T. J. James, Hyman H. Cohen, and H. A. King with new Oregon Journal printing press

Photograph showing (from left) T. J. James, Hyman H. Cohen, and H. A. King with the Oregon Journal’s new press at the Journal Building (now the Jackson Tower) at Broadway and Yamhill in Portland. A cropped version of this photograph was one of two published on Page 18 of the Oregon Journal on Friday, February 3, 1922. The photographs were published under the headline “Journal’s Newest Press in Service Today.” The photographs had the following caption: “Two views of The Journal’s new high speed octuple press which was operated today for the first time. Its inclusion gives The Journal a battery of four presses having a combined capacity of 208 pages. Below are shown Hyman H. Cohen, market editor (center), starting the press and T. J. James, foreman of the composing room (left), removing the first paper from it. Cohen and James have been with The Journal since its establishment March 10, 1902. At the right is H. A. King, veteran press room foreman.” The photographs accompanied the continuation of a front-page story about the new press.

Journal Building, Broadway and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph, taken from a high vantage, showing the northwest corner of the Journal Building and part of the intersection of Yamhill and Broadway in Portland (now Southwest Yamhill Street and Southwest Broadway). The Oregon Journal occupied the building from 1912 until 1948; it is now known as the Jackson Tower.

Oregon Journal pressmen with printing press

Full-length portrait of eight unidentified Oregon Journal pressmen with the printing press at the newspaper’s offices in the Journal Building at Broadway and Yamhill streets (now Southwest Broadway and Southwest Yamhill Street) in Portland. The man standing in front of the press at lower left may be H. A. King, press room foreman. This photograph may be related to image No. 373G0460. The number 122 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper right corner of the image. The number 324 was also written on the negative and then crossed out.

Oregon Journal newsroom

Photograph showing Oregon Journal staff at desks in the newspaper’s offices at the Journal Building in Portland. The building, now known as the Jackson Tower, is located at Southwest Broadway and Southwest Yamhill Street. The windows in this photograph probably overlook Broadway.

Journal Building, Broadway and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph, taken from a high vantage, showing the Journal Building at Broadway and Yamhill Street (now Southwest Broadway and Southwest Yamhill Street) in Portland. The view is toward the southeast. Workers are visible in some of the windows and at the entrance. The photograph may have been taken in 1912, when the building was still under construction. It was completed that year.

Journal Building under construction at Broadway and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph, taken from a high vantage, showing the Journal Building during construction at Broadway and Yamhill (now Southwest Broadway and Southwest Yamhill Street) in Portland in 1912. It was completed later that year. The building is now known as the Jackson Tower. Text that appears to be “3X34” or “3434” and the number 409 are written on the negative and are visible I the upper left corner of the image.

Journal Building, Broadway and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph, taken from a high vantage, showing the Journal Building at Broadway and Yamhill Street (now Southwest Broadway and Southwest Yamhill Street) in Portland. The view is toward the southeast. The photograph may have been taken in 1919; a sign in the window on the ground floor reads “War Savings Stamps 1919.”