Print preview Close

Showing 4719 results

Collections
Multnomah County (Or.)
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

4697 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Bill Genn, Oregon State Police

Half-length portrait of a man facing front and wearing an Oregon State Police uniform and badge. He is standing outside the Journal Building (now the Jackson Tower) in Portland. The name “Bill Genn” is written on the negative and is visible at the top of the image.

People at counter in Multnomah Hotel lobby, Portland

Photograph showing people at a marble counter. Behind the counter are two men assisting visitors, a woman using a telephone, and a man and woman who are looking on. The people in the photograph are unidentified. The text “Multnomah Hotel lobby” is written on the negative sleeve. This photograph may be related to image No. 376G0069.

Wedding of Joseph K. Carson and Myrtle Cradick

Photograph showing bride Myrtle Cradick and groom Joseph K. Carson, mayor of Portland, with their attendants at the end of their wedding ceremony on Saturday, June 19, 1937. The ceremony was held at the First Baptist Church in Portland. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 372A0110 were published on Page 3 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, June 20, 1937, under the headline “—And May They Live Happily Ever After.” This photograph had the following caption: “Members of the bridal party at the White Temple Saturday night, when Miss Myrtle Cradick became the bride of Mayor Joseph K. Carson.” To the left of the bride is Myrtle Cradick's sister, maid of honor Ethel Cradick. Her other attendants were Carson’s sister, Mrs. Elwyn Van DeWalker; Kathleen Furlong; Mavis Melvin; and Ruth Morris. To the right of the groom is Joseph K. Carson’s brother, best man James Carson. The Rev. William G. Everson (at rear left, behind bridesmaids) officiated, and Will A. Knight (at rear right) gave Cradick away. In addition to the photographs on Page 3, the Journal published two pictures and a story on the June 20 front page. See additional related image Nos. 372A0108, 372A0109, 372A0111, 372A0112, and 372A0113.

Wedding of Joseph K. Carson and Myrtle Cradick

Photograph showing Myrtle Cradick and Portland Mayor Joseph K. Carson at their wedding on Saturday, June 19, 1937. The ceremony was held at the First Baptist Church (also known as the White Temple) in Portland. The man at right is unidentified. A front-page story and related photographs from the wedding were published in the Oregon Journal on Sunday, June 20, 1937. See related image Nos. 372A0107, 372A0108, 372A0110, 372A0111, 372A0112, and 372A0113.

Wedding of Joseph K. Carson and Myrtle Cradick

Photograph of Myrtle Cradick, the Rev. William G. Everson, and Portland Mayor Joseph K. Carson at the altar on Cradick and Carson’s wedding day, Saturday, June 19, 1937. The ceremony was held at the First Baptist Church (also known as the White Temple) in Portland. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 372A0112 were published on the front page of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, June 20, 1937, under the headline “The Mayor and Portland Gain First Lady.” This photograph had the following caption: “The Rev. William G. Everson, pastor of White Temple church, blesses the union of Mayor Joseph K. Carson and Miss Myrtle Cradick at the wedding rites Saturday night.” See additional related image Nos. 372A0107, 372A0108, 372A0109, 372A0110, and 372A0111.

Joseph K. Carson wearing bib at bachelor party

Photograph showing Portland Mayor Joseph K. Carson taking a glass from two unidentified men as a third unidentified man watches. The photograph was taken on June 15, 1937, during a bachelor party for Carson at Waverley Country Club in Portland. Carson is sitting in a tall chair and wearing a bib. The dinner party included speeches and pranks. The Oregon Journal published a story about the party on Page 6, of the June 16, 1937 edition. The story was headlined “Gifts and Wisecracks Give Hizzoner Merry Old Time.” Carson married Myrtle Cradick on June 19, 1937. See related image No. 372A0115.

George H. Himes and group with plaque at Portland park renamed in Himes’ honor

Full-length portrait showing George H. Himes (third from right) and five others standing next to a boulder bearing a plaque in Himes’ honor on Friday, September 20, 1935, in Portland. The photograph was taken at a ceremony marking the official placement of the plaque. A story about the ceremony was published on Page 7 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, September 22, 1935, under the headline “Himes Park Plaque Put at Entrance.” The story reported: “Official viewing of a bronze plaque affixed to a 10-ton boulder at the entrance to George H. Himes park Friday afternoon marked the culmination of a long campaign by the Oregon chapter, Daughters of Founders and Patriots of America, to have the 34-acre tract renamed for a living pioneer. The organization May 18 conducted a program in the park, marking the change in name from Fulton park, but the plaque, paying tribute to Himes, was not permanently in place.” The story also reported that Himes had come to Oregon in 1853 and had long been the curator of the Oregon Historical Society. Accompanying the story was a cropped version of this photograph, which had the headline “Placing Permanent Himes Plaque.” The photograph had the following caption: “Grouped beside the new name plaque, mounted on a 10-ton boulder in George H. Himes park, are (from left) Mrs. O. J Goffin, chairman of the Daughters of Founders and Patriots of America committee which renamed the park for Himes; Mrs. J. B. Montgomery, a Portland pioneer; Mrs. C. S. Jackson, who read the inscription at a program in the park Friday; Himes; Mrs. J. Thorburn Ross, president of the daughters group, and David Stearns, another Oregon pioneer." See related image No. 372A0281. Image note: The name “Himes” is written on the negative. Negative damage at bottom left corner.

Firefighters climbing to roof of building at Second and Pine, Portland

Photograph showing fire trucks parked outside a building on Pine Street at Second in Portland (now Southwest Pine Street and Southwest Second Avenue). A ladder extends from one of the trucks to the roof of the building, and several firefighters are carrying a hose up the ladder. Two more men are standing on the roof of the building. A related photograph, image No. 373G458, was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. That photograph was one of seven published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. Also see additional related image No. 373G0456. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 132 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Prohibition agents S. F. Rutter, and J. P. Marstella in Portland

Photograph showing Federal Prohibition Field Agents S. F. Rutter of San Francisco and J. P. Marstella of Washington, D.C., standing at the bottom of a set of steps outside a building. They are looking at one another and smiling. This photograph was taken in March 1920 while Rutter and Marstella were visiting Portland to evaluate prohibition enforcement. The Oregon Journal published a related photograph, image No. 376G0193, and a story about Rutter and Marstella’s visit on Page 4 of the city edition on March 16, 1920. See additional related image No. 376G0191. Image note: Negative damage at upper right. The text “Prohibition officers” is written on the negative sleeve.

Prohibition agents Fred B. Curry, Johnson S. Smith, J. E. Flanders, S. F. Rutter, and J. P. Marstella in Portland

Photograph showing a group of men, all wearing suits and ties, gathered at the bottom of steps outside a building. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 4 of the Oregon Journal city edition on Tuesday, March 16, 1920, under the headline “Prohibition Agents Visit Portland.” The caption was: “Special prohibition field agents visit officials who are directing enforcement of national prohibition act in Oregon. From left—Federal Prohibition Inspector Fred B. Curry, Federal Prohibition Supervisor for Oregon Johnson S. Smith, Federal prohibition Agent J. E. Flanders and S. F. Rutter of San Francisco and J. P. Marstella of Washington, D. C., special prohibition agents touring the Pacific coast. The photograph accompanied a story, headlined “Dry Nation Has Come To Stay, Officials Say,” about Rutter and Marstella’s visit to Portland. See related image Nos. 376G0191 and 376G0192. Image note: The text “Prohibition office” is written on the negative sleeve.

Results 141 to 168 of 4719