Showing 624 results

Collections
Oregon glass plate negatives
Print preview View:

624 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Three-masted ship on Willamette River, Portland

Photograph, taken from the side, showing a three-masted ship moored on the Willamette River in Portland. In the background is a bridge, possibly the 1894 Burnside Bridge. The view is probably toward the north. The ship may also be depicted in image Nos. 373G0433, 373G0434, and 373G0435. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to negative damage.

Gordon Building, 4th and Stark, Portland

Photograph showing a two-story brick building at the corner of Fourth and Stark streets (now Southwest Fourth Avenue and Southwest Stark Street) in Portland. On the ground floor is the Peoples Bank; on the upper floor is the Northern Livestock Loan Company. Parked cars are lining the street next to the building. A cropped version of this photograph was one of two, along with image No. 373G0451, was published on Page 1, Section 3, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, April 25, 1920, under the headline “Bank Has Long Lease on Gordon Building.” The photograph had the following caption: “Structure at Fourth and Stark streets receives finishing touches and tenants celebrate opening. Above—New Gordon building.” Also see related image No. 373G0443.

Gordon Building, 4th and Stark, Portland

Photograph showing a two-story brick building at the corner of Fourth and Stark streets (now Southwest Fourth Avenue and Southwest Stark Street) in Portland. On the ground floor is the Peoples Bank; on the upper floor is the Northern Livestock Loan Company. Parked cars are lining the street next to the building. A nearly identical photograph, image No. 373G0442, and image No. 373G0451 were published on Page 1, Section 3, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, April 25, 1920, under the headline “Bank Has Long Lease on Gordon Building.” The similar photograph had the following caption: “Structure at Fourth and Stark streets receives finishing touches and tenants celebrate opening. Above—New Gordon building.”

Artisans Building, Broadway and Oak, Portland

Photograph showing the Artisans Building at the northwest corner of Broadway and Oak (now Southwest Broadway and Southwest Oak Street) in Portland. The Lumbermens Trust Company is on the ground floor. The photograph was taken from a high angle on the southeast corner of the intersection.

First Presbyterian Church, Portland

Photograph, possibly from a copy negative, showing First Presbyterian Church at 3rd and Washington in Portland. At the front of a church is a three-story square tower. Visible in the upper left corner is the handwritten text “First Presbyterian Church. / N. W. cor. 3rd & Washington sts.” Below that is a date that could be either “July, 1881” or “July, 1887.” Image note: Light leak on negative.

Masonic Temple, West Park Street, Portland

Photograph of the Masonic Temple on West Park Street (now Southwest Park Avenue) in Portland. The photograph was taken at the intersection of Park and Madison Street. The streets next to the building are lined with parked cars. The building is now part of the Portland Art Museum and is known as the Mark Building. See related image No. 371N5383.

Customers at Peoples Bank, Portland, on opening day

Photograph showing a crowd of customers inside Peoples Bank in Portland on the bank’s opening day, Tuesday, April 20, 1920. The bank was located in the new Gordon Building at Fourth and Stark (now Southwest Fourth Avenue and Southwest Stark Street). A cropped version of this photograph was one of two, along with image No. 373G0442, that was published on Page 1, Section 3, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, April 25, 1920, under the headline “Bank Has Long Lease on Gordon Building.” The photograph had the following caption: “Opening of Peoples bank Tuesday morning.” See additional related image No. 373G0443.

Firefighters climbing to roof of building at Second and Pine, Portland

Photograph showing fire trucks parked outside a building on Pine Street at Second in Portland (now Southwest Pine Street and Southwest Second Avenue) in 1913. A ladder extends from one of the trucks to the roof of the building, and several firefighters are carrying a hose up the ladder. Two more men are standing on the roof of the building. A related photograph, image No. 373G458, was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. That photograph was one of seven published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. Also see additional related image No. 373G0457. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 131 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Firefighters climbing to roof of building at Second and Pine, Portland

Photograph showing fire trucks parked outside a building on Pine Street at Second in Portland (now Southwest Pine Street and Southwest Second Avenue). A ladder extends from one of the trucks to the roof of the building, and several firefighters are carrying a hose up the ladder. Two more men are standing on the roof of the building. A related photograph, image No. 373G458, was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. That photograph was one of seven published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. Also see additional related image No. 373G0456. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 132 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Firefighters on ladder, Pine Street, Portland

Photograph showing four firefighters on a ladder extending straight upward from a truck parked on Pine Street (now Southwest Pine Street) in Portland between Second and Third. The sides of the image have been masked out. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. It was one of seven photographs published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” This photograph had the following caption: “Auto Aerial Truck.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. See related image Nos. 373G0456 and 373G0457. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is faintly visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 215 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

T. J. James, Hyman H. Cohen, and H. A. King with new Oregon Journal printing press

Photograph showing (from left) T. J. James, Hyman H. Cohen, and H. A. King with the Oregon Journal’s new press at the Journal Building (now the Jackson Tower) at Broadway and Yamhill in Portland. A cropped version of this photograph was one of two published on Page 18 of the Oregon Journal on Friday, February 3, 1922. The photographs were published under the headline “Journal’s Newest Press in Service Today.” The photographs had the following caption: “Two views of The Journal’s new high speed octuple press which was operated today for the first time. Its inclusion gives The Journal a battery of four presses having a combined capacity of 208 pages. Below are shown Hyman H. Cohen, market editor (center), starting the press and T. J. James, foreman of the composing room (left), removing the first paper from it. Cohen and James have been with The Journal since its establishment March 10, 1902. At the right is H. A. King, veteran press room foreman.” The photographs accompanied the continuation of a front-page story about the new press.

Journal Building, Broadway and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph, taken from a high vantage, showing the northwest corner of the Journal Building and part of the intersection of Yamhill and Broadway in Portland (now Southwest Yamhill Street and Southwest Broadway). The Oregon Journal occupied the building from 1912 until 1948; it is now known as the Jackson Tower.

Oregon Journal pressmen with printing press

Full-length portrait of eight unidentified Oregon Journal pressmen with the printing press at the newspaper’s offices in the Journal Building at Broadway and Yamhill streets (now Southwest Broadway and Southwest Yamhill Street) in Portland. The man standing in front of the press at lower left may be H. A. King, press room foreman. This photograph may be related to image No. 373G0460. The number 122 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper right corner of the image. The number 324 was also written on the negative and then crossed out.

Oregon Journal newsroom

Photograph showing Oregon Journal staff at desks in the newspaper’s offices at the Journal Building in Portland. The building, now known as the Jackson Tower, is located at Southwest Broadway and Southwest Yamhill Street. The windows in this photograph probably overlook Broadway.

Photograph of 5th Street?, downtown Portland

Photograph of a picture of a city street, possibly 5th Street (now Southwest Fifth Avenue) in Portland. The picture, taken from a high vantage, shows buildings and streetcars. The building at left may be the Meier & Frank building at 5th and Morrison. At bottom center is a sign for Moore’s Cafeteria.

Interior of Apostolic Faith tabernacle, southeast Portland

Photograph showing the interior of the Apostolic Faith tabernacle in Woodstock, Portland, on what is now Southeast Duke Street at Southeast 52nd Avenue. The tabernacle has a domed ceiling. Rows of benches surround a tiered platform at the front of the tabernacle. On the wall above the platform are the words “BE YE RECONCILED TO GOD.”

Unidentified woman and girl outdoors, Oregon City, Thanksgiving 1908

Full-length portrait showing an unidentified woman and girl standing next to a dirt path or road in a rural area next to a log fence and a field. A second wooden fence borders a path in the background at right. The words “Thanksgiving / 1908 Oregon City” are etched by hand into the negative and are faintly visible in the lower left corner of the photograph. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Results 85 to 112 of 624