Showing 427 results

Collections
Portland (Or.) Item glass plate negatives
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

427 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Employee portraits

Round portrait of the head and shoulders of a man with a mustache and uniform. He is wearing a brimmed hat with “Conductor” written across the front. Two other men in uniforms can be seen at either sides, wearing similar hats without adornment.

Employee portraits

Round portraits of the head and shoulders of men wearing uniforms. Each photograph is in a round frame. Below the man in the center of the frame is a caption that reads “20.” To the right of the central figure is an incomplete photograph of a trestle bridge.

Employee portraits

Round portraits of the head and shoulders of men wearing uniforms. Each photograph is in a round frame. Below the man in the center of the frame is a caption that reads “30.” On the bottom right, a man is wearing a hat with “Conductor” embroidered on the front.

Employee portraits

Round portraits of the head and shoulders of men wearing uniforms. Each photograph is in a round frame. Below the man in the center of the frame is a caption that reads “18.” Embroidered on the front of his hat is “Conductor.”

Employees

Photograph showing a large group of seated men next to a stage in a large open room. Most of the men look at the camera, while others can be seen standing in the background next to large windows.

Fenton Building, Sixth Street, Portland

Photograph showing the front exterior of the Fenton Building on Sixth Street (now Southwest Sixth Avenue) in Portland. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 1, Section 3, of the Oregon Journal’s city edition on Sunday, March 13, 1921, under the headline “Fenton Building Sold.” The photograph had the following caption: “Structure on East Side of Sixth Street between Stark and Oak, purchased by Dundas & Martin company and subsidiary concerns.” The photograph accompanied a story about the sale, headlined “Fenton Building Is Purchased By Financial Group.” According to the story, “The Fenton building is a six-story and full basement brick structure built by Judge [William D.] Fenton in 1906 on a 50x100-foot lot on the east side of Sixth street between Stark and Oak, near the center of the present ‘financial row.’ The upper floors are devoted to offices, while the ground floor is occupied by retail stores.”

Ferry Lionel R. Webster

Photograph, taken from the front, showing the ferry boat Lionel R. Webster, probably on the Willamette River in Portland. An unidentified man is standing behind a railing and chain across the front of the boat. Image note: Photograph shows discolored spots due to negative damage.

Firefighters climbing to roof of building at Second and Pine, Portland

Photograph showing fire trucks parked outside a building on Pine Street at Second in Portland (now Southwest Pine Street and Southwest Second Avenue). A ladder extends from one of the trucks to the roof of the building, and several firefighters are carrying a hose up the ladder. Two more men are standing on the roof of the building. A related photograph, image No. 373G458, was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. That photograph was one of seven published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. Also see additional related image No. 373G0456. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 132 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Firefighters climbing to roof of building at Second and Pine, Portland

Photograph showing fire trucks parked outside a building on Pine Street at Second in Portland (now Southwest Pine Street and Southwest Second Avenue) in 1913. A ladder extends from one of the trucks to the roof of the building, and several firefighters are carrying a hose up the ladder. Two more men are standing on the roof of the building. A related photograph, image No. 373G458, was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. That photograph was one of seven published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. Also see additional related image No. 373G0457. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 131 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Firefighters on ladder, Pine Street, Portland

Photograph showing four firefighters on a ladder extending straight upward from a truck parked on Pine Street (now Southwest Pine Street) in Portland between Second and Third. The sides of the image have been masked out. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. It was one of seven photographs published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” This photograph had the following caption: “Auto Aerial Truck.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. See related image Nos. 373G0456 and 373G0457. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is faintly visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 215 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

First Presbyterian Church, Portland

Photograph, possibly from a copy negative, showing First Presbyterian Church at 3rd and Washington in Portland. At the front of a church is a three-story square tower. Visible in the upper left corner is the handwritten text “First Presbyterian Church. / N. W. cor. 3rd & Washington sts.” Below that is a date that could be either “July, 1881” or “July, 1887.” Image note: Light leak on negative.

First Presbyterian Church, Portland, with steeple damaged by lightning

Photograph showing First Presbyterian Church at 11th and Alder streets (now Southwest 11th Avenue and Southwest Alder Street) in Portland on Saturday, July 17, 1920, after lightning damaged the steeple. A cropped version of this photograph was published on the front page of the Oregon Journal’s July 17 city edition under the headline “Bolt Strikes.” The photograph had the following caption: “Steeple of First Presbyterian church, Eleventh and Alder streets, showing where lightning ripped slate off the roof in a jagged streak. Below, the street is roped off to prevent injury to pedestrians.” The photograph accompanied a story with the headline “Steeple Is Shattered by Electric Bolt” and the subheading “Patrolman C. C. Martin, Seeking Shelter From Storm, Knocked Senseless When Shock Hits Edifice; Rain Puts Out Fire.” See related image No. 376G0316.

First Presbyterian Church, Portland, with steeple damaged by lightning

Photograph showing the steeple of the First Presbyterian Church at 11th and Alder streets (now Southwest 11th Avenue and Southwest Alder Street) in Portland on Saturday, July 17, 1920, after it was damaged by lightning. The Oregon Journal published a related photograph, image No. 376G0315, and a story about the damage on the front page of Its July 17 city edition. The story had the headline “Steeple Is Shattered By Electric Bolt” and the subheading “Patrolman C. C. Martin, Seeking Shelter From Storm, Knocked Senseless When Shock Hits Edifice; Rain Puts Out Fire.”

First train to enter St. Johns

Photograph showing the first train to enter St. Johns in North Portland. Several men stand next to a train engine with one attached car. Around the train is wooden debris on the ground, with trees and a small building in the distance. (Image note: glass negative is cracked at upper left corner). The photograph is a reproduction of a pinned image (pins can be seen on the frame.

Four members of Royal Rosarians

Full-length portrait of four unidentified men facing front. They are wearing matching suits and hats with the words “Royal Rosarians” on the front. The photograph may have been taken in the courtyard of the Portland Hotel, located in the block that is now Pioneer Courthouse Square.

Frank J. Cobbs house and grounds, Montgomery Drive, Portland

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing the grounds and Jacobethan home of Frank J. Cobbs during construction in 1918. The home, located at what is now 2424 SW Montgomery Drive in Portland, was designed by architect Albert E. Doyle. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 373G0503 were published on Page 22 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, July 7, 1918. The photographs were published under the headline “Handsome Cobbs Home Nears Completion.” The pictures had the following caption: “Beautiful new home being built on Montgomery Drive for Frank J. Cobbs at a cost of approximately $150,000.” The photographs accompanied a story about the home.

Frank J. Cobbs house, Montgomery Drive, Portland

Photograph, taken from the road, showing the Jacobethan home of Frank J. Cobbs during construction in 1918. The home, located at what is now 2424 SW Montgomery Drive in Portland, was designed by architect Albert E. Doyle. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 373G0502 were published on Page 22 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, July 7, 1918. The photographs were published under the headline “Handsome Cobbs Home Nears Completion.” The pictures had the following caption: “Beautiful new home being built on Montgomery Drive for Frank J. Cobbs at a cost of approximately $150,000.” The photographs accompanied a story about the home.

Fred S. Morris, unidentified man, and U. S. Marshal John D. Mann

Photograph showing, from left, Fred S. Morris, an unidentified man, and Chief Deputy United States Marshal John D. Mann in Portland, possibly outside Pioneer Courthouse, on December 29, 1920. According to Journal stories published from December 27, 1920 to December 29, 1920, Fred S. Morris had been the head of the Morris Brothers investment bank; in 1919, he sold his interest to employee John L. Etheridge and others, and the bank became Morris Brothers, Inc. On December 27, 1920, the Journal reported that the bank might have a deficit of up to $1,000,000, and Etheridge, the bank president, had fled. The story reported that a warrant had been issued for Etheridge’s arrest on a charge of larceny by bailee. The story also reported that Fred S. Morris had resumed control of the bank and officials were investigating whether to revoke Etheridge’s naturalized citizenship. On December 28, 1920, the Journal reported that federal officials were investigating whether Etheridge and Morris, who stood as a witness at Etheridge’s naturalization hearing, had concealed two prison sentences. On the front page of the December 29, 1920, city edition, the Journal published a story headlined “Fred Morris In Custody For Perjury / U. S. Warrant Accuses Him of Swearing Falsely as Witness for John L. Etheridge in 1918.” Accompanying the story was a cropped version of this photograph of Morris, an unidentified man, and Marshal Mann. The photograph was published under the headline “Bond Magnate in Toils” and had the following caption: “Fred S. Morris (at left) who was taken into custody this morning by federal authorities on a charge of fraud in aiding John L. Etheridge to obtain citizenship. Picture was taken when Chief Deputy Marshal Mann (at right) escorted Morris to safety deposit box to get securities for $2000 bond required by United States Commissioner [Kenneth] Fraser.” See related image Nos. 376G0017, 376G0018, and 373G0336. Image note: The text “Morris, Fred S.” is written on the negative sleeve.

General John J. Pershing at Union Station, Portland

Photograph showing General John J. Pershing (second from right) walking at the front of a group of men as he leaves Union Station in Portland on Sunday, January 18, 1920. Pershing stopped in Portland during a tour to inspect military bases around the United States. At right is Oregon Governor Ben W. Olcott. At far left, in a dark suit, is Portland Mayor George L. Baker. Olcott and Baker greeted Pershing upon his arrival at Union Station. See related image Nos. 373G0154, 373G0156, 373G0157, 373G0158, 373G0159, 373G0160, 373G0161 and 373G0323.

Results 85 to 112 of 427