Showing 108 results

Collections
United States
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

108 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Building at Southeast Union Avenue and Southeast Alder Street, Portland

Photograph showing a two-story building at the corner of Southeast Union Avenue (now Southeast Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard) and Southeast Alder Street in Portland. On the corner of the building are signs reading “ORE-WA Packing Co.” and “W. W. Swank Co. / 401 / Brokers / 401.” At far left is the building depicted in image No. 372A1217. See related image No. 372A1223. Image note: Light leak on negative.

Building at Southeast Union Avenue and Southeast Alder Street, Portland

Photograph showing a two-story building at the corner of Southeast Union Avenue (now Southeast Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard) and Southeast Alder Street in Portland. The view is to the east along Alder. On the corner of the building are signs reading “ORE-WA Packing Co.” “W. W. Swank Co. / 401 / Brokers / 401.” At center is a sign for J. L. Austin Sheet Metal Works. See related image No. 372A1223. Image note: Light leak on negative.

Auto glass shop at corner of Southeast 7th Avenue near Morrison?, Portland

Photograph showing a two-story building on a corner of Southeast Seventh Avenue in Portland, possibly near Southeast Morrison Street. On the ground floor of the building is an auto-glass shop. At left center are directional signs pointing to the Morrison Bridge and City Center. At far left are billboards advertising paint and Camel cigarettes.

Gordon Building, 4th and Stark, Portland

Photograph showing a two-story brick building at the corner of Fourth and Stark streets (now Southwest Fourth Avenue and Southwest Stark Street) in Portland. On the ground floor is the Peoples Bank; on the upper floor is the Northern Livestock Loan Company. Parked cars are lining the street next to the building. A cropped version of this photograph was one of two, along with image No. 373G0451, was published on Page 1, Section 3, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, April 25, 1920, under the headline “Bank Has Long Lease on Gordon Building.” The photograph had the following caption: “Structure at Fourth and Stark streets receives finishing touches and tenants celebrate opening. Above—New Gordon building.” Also see related image No. 373G0443.

Gordon Building, 4th and Stark, Portland

Photograph showing a two-story brick building at the corner of Fourth and Stark streets (now Southwest Fourth Avenue and Southwest Stark Street) in Portland. On the ground floor is the Peoples Bank; on the upper floor is the Northern Livestock Loan Company. Parked cars are lining the street next to the building. A nearly identical photograph, image No. 373G0442, and image No. 373G0451 were published on Page 1, Section 3, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, April 25, 1920, under the headline “Bank Has Long Lease on Gordon Building.” The similar photograph had the following caption: “Structure at Fourth and Stark streets receives finishing touches and tenants celebrate opening. Above—New Gordon building.”

Artisans Building, Broadway and Oak, Portland

Photograph showing the Artisans Building at the northwest corner of Broadway and Oak (now Southwest Broadway and Southwest Oak Street) in Portland. The Lumbermens Trust Company is on the ground floor. The photograph was taken from a high angle on the southeast corner of the intersection.

Masonic Temple, West Park Street, Portland

Photograph of the Masonic Temple on West Park Street (now Southwest Park Avenue) in Portland. The photograph was taken at the intersection of Park and Madison Street. The streets next to the building are lined with parked cars. The building is now part of the Portland Art Museum and is known as the Mark Building. See related image No. 371N5383.

Journal Building, Broadway and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph, taken from a high vantage, showing the northwest corner of the Journal Building and part of the intersection of Yamhill and Broadway in Portland (now Southwest Yamhill Street and Southwest Broadway). The Oregon Journal occupied the building from 1912 until 1948; it is now known as the Jackson Tower.

Photograph of 5th Street?, downtown Portland

Photograph of a picture of a city street, possibly 5th Street (now Southwest Fifth Avenue) in Portland. The picture, taken from a high vantage, shows buildings and streetcars. The building at left may be the Meier & Frank building at 5th and Morrison. At bottom center is a sign for Moore’s Cafeteria.

Frank J. Cobbs house and grounds, Montgomery Drive, Portland

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing the grounds and Jacobethan home of Frank J. Cobbs during construction in 1918. The home, located at what is now 2424 SW Montgomery Drive in Portland, was designed by architect Albert E. Doyle. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 373G0503 were published on Page 22 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, July 7, 1918. The photographs were published under the headline “Handsome Cobbs Home Nears Completion.” The pictures had the following caption: “Beautiful new home being built on Montgomery Drive for Frank J. Cobbs at a cost of approximately $150,000.” The photographs accompanied a story about the home.

Frank J. Cobbs house, Montgomery Drive, Portland

Photograph, taken from the road, showing the Jacobethan home of Frank J. Cobbs during construction in 1918. The home, located at what is now 2424 SW Montgomery Drive in Portland, was designed by architect Albert E. Doyle. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 373G0502 were published on Page 22 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, July 7, 1918. The photographs were published under the headline “Handsome Cobbs Home Nears Completion.” The pictures had the following caption: “Beautiful new home being built on Montgomery Drive for Frank J. Cobbs at a cost of approximately $150,000.” The photographs accompanied a story about the home.

Laurelhurst Club, East Ankeny Street, Portland

Photograph, taken from across the street, showing the front of the Laurelhurst Club at 1125 East Ankeny Street (now 3721 East Ankeny Street) in Portland. A car with an unidentified person in the driver’s seat is parked on the street outside the clubhouse. The view is to the north.

Carstens Packing Company, Front Street, Portland

Photograph, taken from across the street, showing a truck parked outside a three-story brick building on Front Street between Stark and Washington in downtown Portland. A sign on the front of the building reads “Carstens Packing Co.” A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Original home of Ladd & Tilton Bank on Front Street / The first two stories were Portland’s first brick building / Built in 1853.” Wharton reported that the third story had been added later. See related image Nos. 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Two people loading RCA Victor radio into Vern L. Wenger Radio Service truck

Photograph showing two young men in white jackets loading a large box into the back of a Vern L. Wenger Radio Service truck. A third man is standing next to the truck, watching. On the side of the box are the words “Another RCA Victor Radio / Model 9-K / RCA Manufacturing Co. Inc. / Camden, New Jersey.” The number 2 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower left corner of the image. Vern L. Wenger was located in Portland.

Delivery trucks parked outside Western Packing Company, Portland

Photograph showing two delivery trucks parked outside the Western Packing Company in Portland. An unidentified man is standing next to the truck on the right. A sign at over the open doors of the loading area reads “Western Packing Co. / Fresh and cured meats.” A sign on the right side of the doors reads “Manufacturers of … High Grade Sausage / Luncheon Meats.”

Results 57 to 84 of 108