Showing 1774 results

Collections
United States safety film Image
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

1774 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Marylhurst College students roasting hot dogs on beach, opening day, 1943?

Photograph, taken on Marylhurst College’s opening day in 1943, showing a group of Marylhurst students roasting hot dogs over an open fire on a rocky beach. The unconfirmed note “Marylhurst College opening 9/13/43” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image No. 375A0223. Marylhurst College, located in Marylhurst, Oregon, became Marylhurst University in 1998.

Marylhurst College students at war bond table, 1943?

Photograph showing five unidentified Marylhurst College students at the entrance to a building in October 1943. Four of the students are gathered around the fifth, who is sitting at a small decorated table with a sign that reads: “THE MOST YOU CAN SAVE IS THE LEAST YOU CAN DO / BUY WAR BONDS / OR STAMPS EVERY PAY DAY.” The third student from right is handing a document to the person sitting at the table. The unconfirmed note “Marylhurst College student groups 10/28/43” is written on the negative sleeve. Marylhurst College, located in Marylhurst, Oregon, became Marylhurst University in 1998.

Marylhurst College students pointing darts at map of Europe and Asia, 1943?

Photograph showing five unidentified Marylhurst College students posing with a rough map of Europe and Asia. The map is pinned on top of a dart board, and targets are drawn in several spots on the map. Each young woman is holding a dart up to the map. The unconfirmed note “Marylhurst College student groups / 10/28/1943” is written on the negative sleeve. Marylhurst College, located in Marylhurst, Oregon, became Marylhurst University in 1998.

Marylhurst College students at table, 1943?

Photograph showing five unidentified Marylhurst College students at a table. A mat is lying on the table in front of each young woman, and stacks of folded cloth are beside them. The students are wearing veils and button-up smocks or dresses. The unconfirmed note “Marylhurst College student groups / 10/28/43” is written on the negative sleeve. Marylhurst College, located in Marylhurst, Oregon, became Marylhurst University in 1998.

Marylhurst College students performing play, 1944?

Photograph showing Marylhurst College students on stage, performing a scene from a play. All the performers on the stage are looking toward a portrait of a nun that is hanging at the back of the stage. The unconfirmed note “Marylhurst College students 10/19/44” is written on the negative sleeve. Marylhurst College, located in Marylhurst, Oregon, became Marylhurst University in 1998.

Marylhurst College students, group portrait, 1944?

Full-length portrait showing a group of 12 unidentified Marylhurst College students in two rows, facing front. The three young women in front are sitting in chairs at a small table; the others are standing behind them. The students are wearing formal dresses. The unconfirmed note “Marylhurst College students 10/1944” is written on the negative sleeve.

Students at Marylhurst College dance, 1944?

Photograph showing a crowd of Marylhurst College students and their dates dancing at a formal. The number 2 is written on the negative and is faintly visible in the lower left corner of the image. The unconfirmed note “Marylhurst College dance 11/20/44” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image Nos. 375A0236, 375A0237, and 375A0238. Marylhurst College, located in Marylhurst, Oregon, became Marylhurst University in 1998.

Service in Marylhurst College chapel, 1944?

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing an unidentified clergyman conducting a service in the chapel at Marylhurst College as the congregation kneels in the pews. The unconfirmed note “Marylhurst College students 3/17/44” is written on the negative sleeve. The chapel, located in the administration building, later became the Wiegand Recital Hall and chapel. Marylhurst College, located in Marylhurst, Oregon, became Marylhurst University in 1998.

Students at Marylhurst College junior dance, 1944?

Photograph showing a crowd of Marylhurst College students and their dates dancing at a formal. The unconfirmed note “Marylhurst College Jr dance 2/12/44” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image Nos. 375A0246, 375A0247, 375A0248, and 375A0249. Marylhurst College, located in Marylhurst, Oregon, became Marylhurst University in 1998.

Students at Marylhurst College junior dance, 1944?

Photograph showing two unidentified young women and an unidentified young man talking at a Marylhurst College dance. The woman on the right is arm in arm with the man. She is smiling and he is looking at her. The unconfirmed note “Marylhurst College Jr dance 2/12/44” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image Nos. 375A0245, 375A0247, 375A0248, and 375A0249. Marylhurst College, located in Marylhurst, Oregon, became Marylhurst University in 1998.

Students at Marylhurst College junior dance, 1944?

Photograph showing a group of Marylhurst College students and their dates talking and laughing during a dance. Three of the young men in the photograph are wearing military uniforms. The unconfirmed note “Marylhurst College Jr dance 2/12/44” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image Nos. 375A0245, 375A0246, 375A0248, and 375A0249. Marylhurst College, located in Marylhurst, Oregon, became Marylhurst University in 1998.

Students at Marylhurst College junior dance, 1944?

Photograph showing a crowd of Marylhurst College students and their dates dancing at a formal. The unconfirmed note “Marylhurst College Jr dance 2/12/44” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image Nos. 375A0245, 375A0246, 375A0247, and 375A0248. Marylhurst College, located in Marylhurst, Oregon, became Marylhurst University in 1998.

Students at Marylhurst College tea, 1944?

Photograph showing seven unidentified young women at a table during a Marylhurst College tea. Five students are standing in a row next the table, holding teacups and plates. The other two are seated at each end of the table and are pouring tea for the two students standing closest to them. The unconfirmed note “Marylhurst College tea 1/14/44” is written on the negative sleeve. Also see image No. 375A0251. Marylhurst College, located in Marylhurst, Oregon, became Marylhurst University in 1998.

Marylhurst College students and conductor on stage at recital, 1943

Full-length portrait of Marylhurst College string musicians and their conductor seated on stage at a recital in December 1943. They are looking toward the front. The text “Marylhurst College recital 12/14/43” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image Nos. 375A0255 and 375A0256. Marylhurst College, located in Marylhurst, Oregon, became Marylhurst University in 1998. Image note: Negative damage at upper left.

Red Cross nurses’ aide receiving pin and cap at Marylhurst College, 1944

Photograph showing three people participating in a capping ceremony for Red Cross volunteer nurses’ aides at Marylhurst College on May 10, 1944. The person at center, who may be Colleen Carroll, is having a cap placed on her head and a pin fastened to her smock by the women on either side of her, who are unidentified. The civil defense insignia for nurses’ aides is visible on the sleeve of the woman on the right. The note “Marylhurst College nurses bldgs 5/10/44” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image Nos. 375A0266 and 375A0267.

Portland Gas & Coke Co. employees receiving defense bonds

Photograph showing a group of unidentified employees of the Portland Gas & Coke Company posing in a line around a table. In front are two men, one wearing a suit and the other wearing a Portland Gas & Coke uniform, who are holding a defense bond. A related photograph, image No. 375A0807, was published on Page 2, Section 2 of the Oregon Journal on March 2, 1942. A caption with that photograph reported that Lynn P. Sabin, a bond staff member, had delivered the first defense bonds to Portland Gas & Coke employees participating in a plan to purchase bonds through payroll deductions. Image note: The number 2119 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper right corner of the image. See related image Nos. 375A0807, 375A0808, and 375A0809.

Unidentified man marking Portland Gas & Coke Co. car with civilian defense insignia

Photograph showing an unidentified man crouching next to a Portland Gas & Coke Company vehicle. He is facing to the left and is placing a sign bearing the civilian defense insignia for utility repair on the side of the car. He is also wearing an armband with the same insignia and a pouch for carrying a gas mask. The number 2318 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper right corner of the image. The text “Repair car insignia” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image No. 375A0819. Image note: Light leak on negative.

Air raid wardens looking at speaker during drill at Public Service Building, Portland

Photograph showing two unidentified air raid wardens standing in a hallway of the Public Service Building in Portland. They are facing to the left and looking up at a speaker on the wall. The man at left is pointing to the speaker. The two wardens are wearing are wearing helmets and armbands bearing civilian defense insignia. Each is carrying a gas mask in a pouch. The number 2319 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image. The text “Air raid practice” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image Nos. 375A0822, 375A0823, 375A0824, 375A0825, 375A0826, and 375A0827.

Air raid wardens in hallway during drill at Public Service Building, Portland

Photograph showing two unidentified air raid wardens walking or running down a hallway during a drill at the Public Service Building in Portland. They are wearing helmets and gas masks, and the man at right is carrying a noisemaker. The number 2320 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper right corner of the image. The text “Air raid practice” is written on the negative sleeve. See related image Nos. 375A0821, 375A0823, 375A0824, 375A0825, 375A0826, and 375A0827.

Two U. S. Navy servicemen posing with Portland Gas & Coke Co. car

Photograph showing two unidentified United States Navy servicemen posing next to a Portland Gas & Coke Company car. They are smiling and attaching a sign to the side of the car. The sign reads: “CHOOSE NAVY NOW / WHILE YOU CAN.” An unidentified Portland Gas & Coke employee is sitting in the driver’s seat of the car. The number 2629 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper right corner of the image. See related image No. 375A0842. Image note: Light leak on negative.

Wedding of Joseph K. Carson and Myrtle Cradick

Photograph showing bride Myrtle Cradick and groom Joseph K. Carson, mayor of Portland, with their attendants at the end of their wedding ceremony on Saturday, June 19, 1937. The ceremony was held at the First Baptist Church in Portland. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 372A0110 were published on Page 3 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, June 20, 1937, under the headline “—And May They Live Happily Ever After.” This photograph had the following caption: “Members of the bridal party at the White Temple Saturday night, when Miss Myrtle Cradick became the bride of Mayor Joseph K. Carson.” To the left of the bride is Myrtle Cradick's sister, maid of honor Ethel Cradick. Her other attendants were Carson’s sister, Mrs. Elwyn Van DeWalker; Kathleen Furlong; Mavis Melvin; and Ruth Morris. To the right of the groom is Joseph K. Carson’s brother, best man James Carson. The Rev. William G. Everson (at rear left, behind bridesmaids) officiated, and Will A. Knight (at rear right) gave Cradick away. In addition to the photographs on Page 3, the Journal published two pictures and a story on the June 20 front page. See additional related image Nos. 372A0108, 372A0109, 372A0111, 372A0112, and 372A0113.

Wedding of Joseph K. Carson and Myrtle Cradick

Photograph showing Myrtle Cradick and Portland Mayor Joseph K. Carson at their wedding on Saturday, June 19, 1937. The ceremony was held at the First Baptist Church (also known as the White Temple) in Portland. The man at right is unidentified. A front-page story and related photographs from the wedding were published in the Oregon Journal on Sunday, June 20, 1937. See related image Nos. 372A0107, 372A0108, 372A0110, 372A0111, 372A0112, and 372A0113.

Wedding of Joseph K. Carson and Myrtle Cradick

Photograph of Myrtle Cradick, the Rev. William G. Everson, and Portland Mayor Joseph K. Carson at the altar on Cradick and Carson’s wedding day, Saturday, June 19, 1937. The ceremony was held at the First Baptist Church (also known as the White Temple) in Portland. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 372A0112 were published on the front page of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, June 20, 1937, under the headline “The Mayor and Portland Gain First Lady.” This photograph had the following caption: “The Rev. William G. Everson, pastor of White Temple church, blesses the union of Mayor Joseph K. Carson and Miss Myrtle Cradick at the wedding rites Saturday night.” See additional related image Nos. 372A0107, 372A0108, 372A0109, 372A0110, and 372A0111.

Joseph K. Carson wearing bib at bachelor party

Photograph showing Portland Mayor Joseph K. Carson taking a glass from two unidentified men as a third unidentified man watches. The photograph was taken on June 15, 1937, during a bachelor party for Carson at Waverley Country Club in Portland. Carson is sitting in a tall chair and wearing a bib. The dinner party included speeches and pranks. The Oregon Journal published a story about the party on Page 6, of the June 16, 1937 edition. The story was headlined “Gifts and Wisecracks Give Hizzoner Merry Old Time.” Carson married Myrtle Cradick on June 19, 1937. See related image No. 372A0115.

George H. Himes and group with plaque at Portland park renamed in Himes’ honor

Full-length portrait showing George H. Himes (third from right) and five others standing next to a boulder bearing a plaque in Himes’ honor on Friday, September 20, 1935, in Portland. The photograph was taken at a ceremony marking the official placement of the plaque. A story about the ceremony was published on Page 7 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, September 22, 1935, under the headline “Himes Park Plaque Put at Entrance.” The story reported: “Official viewing of a bronze plaque affixed to a 10-ton boulder at the entrance to George H. Himes park Friday afternoon marked the culmination of a long campaign by the Oregon chapter, Daughters of Founders and Patriots of America, to have the 34-acre tract renamed for a living pioneer. The organization May 18 conducted a program in the park, marking the change in name from Fulton park, but the plaque, paying tribute to Himes, was not permanently in place.” The story also reported that Himes had come to Oregon in 1853 and had long been the curator of the Oregon Historical Society. Accompanying the story was a cropped version of this photograph, which had the headline “Placing Permanent Himes Plaque.” The photograph had the following caption: “Grouped beside the new name plaque, mounted on a 10-ton boulder in George H. Himes park, are (from left) Mrs. O. J Goffin, chairman of the Daughters of Founders and Patriots of America committee which renamed the park for Himes; Mrs. J. B. Montgomery, a Portland pioneer; Mrs. C. S. Jackson, who read the inscription at a program in the park Friday; Himes; Mrs. J. Thorburn Ross, president of the daughters group, and David Stearns, another Oregon pioneer." See related image No. 372A0281. Image note: The name “Himes” is written on the negative. Negative damage at bottom left corner.

American Legion group posing with airplane in The Dalles

Full-length portrait of a group of people standing in front of a biplane in a field. Several are wearing American Legion garrison caps. The fourth person from left, wearing a dark jacket and holding a hat, is Charles H. Martin; the others are unidentified. Written on the negative is text that could be either “S. O. at The Dalles” or “S. A. at The Dalles.” See related image No. 372A1105.

Cars outside The Dorchester House, Oceanlake, Oregon

Photograph showing cars parked outside The Dorchester House, a hotel, restaurant, and gas station off Highway 101 in Oceanlake, Oregon, now part of Lincoln City. The view is of the side of the hotel visible from the highway and shows a three-story building with a gabled roof, dormer windows, and two gasoline pumps outside. The Dorchester opened in July 1935. See related image Nos. 372A0878, 372A0880, 372A0883, 372A0884, 372A0885, and 372A0886. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Results 57 to 84 of 1774