The Vancouver Avenue Baptist Church began as the First Baptist Church of Burton Homes, a federal wartime housing project managed by the Vancouver Housing Authority (Washington state). Most of the people in this 1945 photo of an early service were employees of the Kaiser Shipyards. The church moved to the Bagley Downs housing project later that year, then to Vanport City in 1946, and finally to the Albina neighborhood in Portland after Vanport was flooded in 1948. The current building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its significance to the history of civil rights in Oregon.
The Vancouver Avenue First Baptist Church stands on the southeast corner of N. Vancouver Ave. and Fargo Street. It was originally built in 1909 for the Central Methodist Episcopal Church. Vancouver Avenue (established in 1944) purchased the building in 1951 and inhabits it still. The church was renovated and enlarged in 1957-1958.
Unidentified members of the congregation standing in front of the east side of the Bethel AME (African Methodist Episcopal) Church. The Bethel AME Church once stood on the corner of N. Larrabee Ave. and N. McMillen Street. It was torn down in the 1950s when the city built the Memorial Coliseum.
Photograph of a steam dummy train at East 6th St and Morrison St from the Willamette Bridge Railway Company. On the side of the first car is written “Mount Tabor.” Several men and a group of children look at the camera. A church building can be seen in the background.
Photograph of a depot at Mt. Angel for the Willamette Valley Southern Railway Company (W.V.S.RY). Buildings, including St. Mary Catholic Church with steeple, can be seen next to the depot. In the distance, several people can be seen, including one next to the depot looking at the camera (image note: corner of glass negative is broken).
Photograph a crowd of people gathered outside a building under construction. The photograph was probably taken on December 11, 1927, during a ceremony to lay the cornerstone of a new building for education and recreation at Centenary-Wilbur Methodist Church in Portland.
Photograph of young people standing in a V formation outside a building under construction. The photograph was probably taken on December 11, 1927, at a ceremony to lay the cornerstone of a new building for education and recreation at Centenary-Wilbur Methodist Church in Portland.
Photograph, taken in the fall of 1929, of the exterior of Westminster Presbyterian Church with a new unit at left. The church is on NE Hancock Street in Portland. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.
Photograph, taken from the side, showing the entrance to the First Unitarian Church at Southwest 12th Avenue and Southwest Salmon Street in Portland. The text “Unitarian Church” is written on the negative and is partially visible in the lower right corner of the image. Also see related image Nos. 372A1261 and 372A1262.