Showing 101 results

Collections
Oregon Journal Photographic Negatives With digital objects
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Masonic Temple, West Park Street, Portland

Photograph of the Masonic Temple on West Park Street (now Southwest Park Avenue) in Portland. The photograph was taken at the intersection of Park and Madison Street. The streets next to the building are lined with parked cars. The temple is now part of the Portland Art Museum and is known as the Mark Building.

Rooftop view of downtown Portland and Hawthorne Bridge

Photograph, taken from a high angle and looking toward the southeast, showing buildings in downtown Portland and the Hawthorne Bridge in the distance. In the foreground is the building occupied by the Jenning's furniture store at 5th and Washington streets (now Southwest 5th Avenue and Southwest Washington street). In the distance at center, just to the right of the bridge, is the Yeon Building.

Demolition of Portland High School building

Photograph showing demolition of the tower of the Portland High School building on August 11, 1928. Heavy trucks pulled down the tower with lines attached to the building. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 9 of the Oregon Journal on August 12, 1928, under the headline “School Tower Razed.” The photograph had the following caption: “Saturday the ornate tower that has thrust upward from the old Portland high school at 14th and Morrison streets was pulled down by workmen wrecking the building. It has become endeared to thousands since its erection in 1883.” Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

View of Broadway, downtown Portland

Photograph showing buildings along Broadway (now Southwest Broadway) in Portland, including the New Heathman Hotel, the Broadway Theatre, and the Journal Building (at center right, with clock at top, now known as the Jackson Tower). The view is to the north. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to negative damage.

Two people loading RCA Victor radio into Vern L. Wenger Radio Service truck

Photograph showing two young men in white jackets loading a large box into the back of a Vern L. Wenger Radio Service truck. A third man is standing next to the truck, watching. On the side of the box are the words “Another RCA Victor Radio / Model 9-K / RCA Manufacturing Co. Inc. / Camden, New Jersey.” The number 2 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower left corner of the image. Vern L. Wenger was located in Portland.

Delivery trucks parked outside Western Packing Company, Portland

Photograph showing two delivery trucks parked outside the Western Packing Company in Portland. An unidentified man is standing next to the truck on the right. A sign at over the open doors of the loading area reads “Western Packing Co. / Fresh and cured meats.” A sign on the right side of the doors reads “Manufacturers of … High Grade Sausage / Luncheon Meats.”

Men and trucks outside Ballif Distributing Company, Southeast 2nd Avenue, Portland

Photograph showing unidentified men standing next to delivery trucks parked outside Ballif Distributing Co. facility on Southeast Second Avenue at Southeast Madison Street, Portland. On the building are signs reading (from left to right): “Mar-Vista Wines”; “Ballif Distributing Co.”; and “Schlitz and Old Milwaukee Beer.” See related image No. 372A1165.

Wadhams and Company, Southeast Third Avenue and Belmont, Portland

Photograph showing a warehouse at Southeast Third Avenue and Southeast Belmont Street in Portland. Trucks are parked outside three of the loading areas. On the side of each truck are the words “Wadhams wholesale grocers.” Above the entrance to the building is a sign reading “Wadhams & Co.” Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

The Home Plate restaurant, Southeast 49th and Hawthorne, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of The Home Plate restaurant at Southeast 49th Avenue and Southeast Hawthorne Boulevard in Portland. An unidentified man in an apron is standing in front of the building. The view is to the north. Across the top of the building are the words “ICES / ALES / CANDY / TOBACCO.” Below that are the words “THE HOME PLATE / ‘HAMBURGERS AND OTHERS.’ “ Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Addition under construction at Montgomery Ward, Portland

Photograph showing an addition under construction at the Montgomery Ward warehouse in Portland in March 1936. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 5, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, March 29, 1936, under the headline “Pouring Third Floor Block at Ward’s.” The photograph had the following caption: “Building activity is at high gear on this $750,000 project at Montgomery Ward & Co. mail order and retail center at N. W. 27th avenue and Vaughn Street, as 150 men push the nine-story addition into the air.” The photograph accompanied a story headlined “Montgomery Ward Project On Schedule.” Image note: The text “Mont - Ward 3/26/36” is written on the negative and is faintly visible in the lower right corner of the image.

Building at Southeast Union Avenue and Southeast Alder Street, Portland

Photograph showing a two-story building at the corner of Southeast Union Avenue (now Southeast Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard) and Southeast Alder Street in Portland. On the corner of the building are signs reading “ORE-WA Packing Co.” and “W. W. Swank Co. / 401 / Brokers / 401.” At far left is the building depicted in image No. 372A1217. See related image No. 372A1223. Image note: Light leak on negative.

Carstens Packing Company, Front Street, Portland

Photograph, taken from across the street, showing a truck parked outside a three-story brick building on Front Street between Stark and Washington in downtown Portland. A sign on the front of the building reads “Carstens Packing Co.” A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Original home of Ladd & Tilton Bank on Front Street / The first two stories were Portland’s first brick building / Built in 1853.” Wharton reported that the third story had been added later. See related image Nos. 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Building at 16th and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph of a seven-story building at the corner of 16th and Yamhill streets (now Southwest 16th Avenue and Southwest Yamhill Street) in Portland. A sign for the Hotel Mallory is visible at upper right. Image note: Photograph quality is poor due to extensive deterioration of the negative.

Esmond rooming house, Front and Morrison, Portland

Photograph showing a four-story building on Front and Morrison streets (now Southwest Morrison Street) in Portland. The building has bay windows on the second and third floors. On the ground floor is a sign for Oregon Sheet Metal Works. The 1905 Morrison Bridge is partially visible in the background. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Last wing of the New Esmond Hotel - Front & Morrison Sts.” The story reported that the hotel opened in 1878, but only the portion of the building shown in this photograph remained in 1928, and it operated as the Esmond rooming house. See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Four-story brick building, 22nd and Sandy, Portland

Photograph showing a four-story brick building at Northeast Sandy Boulevard and Northeast 22nd Avenue in Portland. The building has a hexagonal gable with a tile roof. The view is of the northeast side of the building. On the right side of the photograph is a sign on the building for “Peake The Shade Man.”

Results 1 to 28 of 101