This collection consists of 210 black-and-white negatives shot by Minor White during his time in Oregon betwen 1938 and 1940. The bulk of the negatives, and of particular note, are White's photographs of numerous buildings and blocks - primarily cast-iron-fronted - near the Portland waterfront, which include, in part: the Miles Building, the Hotel Portland, the New Market Block, the Snow Building, the Opitz Building, and the Starr Block. Many of these buildings are no longer standing.
Front Avenue looking south from the Burnside Bridge, Oct. 16, 1938. The 1st building from the left was the Johnson and Spaulding Building, followed by the Johnson Building, Dodd Block, and Cook’s Building. On Front Avenue, between Ash and Pine.
Front Avenue looking south from under the Burnside Bridge, Oct. 18, 1938. The two buildings visible were, from left, the Johnson Building and Dodd’s Block, on the east side of Front Avenue facing each other across Ankeny Street. Automobiles are parked on both sides of the street.
123 and 127 SW First Avenue, Oct. 18, 1938. Part of the former Glisan's Block, on the east side of First Avenue just south of SW Ash. Pacific States Rubber Co. conducted business in this location from at least 1919. Sign reads, “Pacific States Rubber Co. M’f’r’s. Quality Leather Belting.” Upstairs is a sign for Wakefield, Fries & Co. Realtors.
A woman walks into the Miles Building, constructed in 1857, on the SW corner of Front Avenue and Pine Streets. Taken October 20, 1938. Looking west up Pine from Front Avenue, Kamm Building in background.
Clothes dry on a line in a vacant lot in front of a cast-iron building on the Allen and Lewis Block. Looking east from First Avenue. Half of a rooftop sign is visible, advertising Weinhard Beer since 1856.
Cast-iron buildings on Front Avenue at Ankeny, from First Avenue. Probably taken from the New Market Theater. From left to right: the Dekum & Reed block, the Johnson Building, and the Dodd Block. Automobiles line the streets. Sign advertises Gadsby’s Home Furnisher. Several storefronts are for sale or lease.
207 Front Avenue. Street address indicates this is likely a pilaster from the Barnhart Building. Foundry mark reads “California Foundry SF.” Weeds grow out of exterior wall. Taken November 10, 1938. Same subject as Negative No. 390120-2 and Negative No. 38764.
Cast-iron architecture of the building at 57 First Avenue, New Market Block, North Wing. Sign reads, "Steckmest & McDougall Inc." Further back is a sign for DuPont Dulux Marine Finishes. Dodd Building is visible in reflection of window. Wider view of this building in Negative 3992.
Western Foundry Co. warehouse, SW Water Avenue, west end of Ross Island Bridge. SW Caruthers Court. Large wood piles outside warehouse. One sign reads “Ross Island Fuel / Dry Wood $4.50 Load.” Also advertisements for Coca-Cola, 7Up, and Double Cola.
Western Fruit & Produce Company doing business in a cast-iron building at 507 SW Front Avenue. Located on the east side of Front Avenue between Alder and Washington Streets. Taken November 22, 1938. Same subject as Negative No. 400117-1.
A wrought-iron balcony overlooks the intersection of SW Front Avenue and Madison Street. An automobile and 2 buses wait to cross the street. The bus in front is the Fifty-Second Avenue bus, and a sign in its window reads, “Woodstock / 82nd Avenue.” The second bus is the Hawthorne bus. A man stands on the corner. Taken November 22, 1938.
Power lines line the street outside of the Northwestern Electric Company building on N. Albina Street. Large grain elevators are at the end of the street, with the words “Santa Cruz” painted on one. Taken November 23, 1938.
Looking west at the Portland waterfront from the east side of the Willamette River. Several industrial buildings, with the west hills rising in the background. Wooden pilings in the Willamette River in the foreground.
Cast-iron doorway of the Ladd and Tilton Bank Building on Front Avenue between Washington and Stark Streets. Taken December 13, 1938. Built in 1853 for W.S. Ladd, this was the 1st brick building in Portland and at the time White photographed it, the oldest commercial building in the city. In 1859, the Ladd and Tilton Bank opened on its second floor.
Details of cast-iron work on the Kamm Building, on the Kamm Block located on the corner of Front and Pine Streets. Partial sign visible for the Boxer Fixture Company. Taken December 14, 1938. Same subject as Neg. No. 390205-01.
Near-duplicate of Neg. No. 381214-1. Details of cast-iron work on the Kamm Building, on the Kamm Block located on the corner of Front and Pine Streets. Partial sign visible for the Boxer Fixture Company. Taken December 14, 1938. Same subject as Neg. No. 390205-01.