Showing 305 results

Collections
Portland General Electric Photograph Collection Multnomah County (Or.)
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

304 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Portland General Electric Photograph Collection

  • Org. Lot 151
  • Collection
  • 1880 - 1965

Negatives documenting company activities, including electrical infrastructure, employees, power generation and distribution throughout Portland, the Willamette Valley and the Oregon Cascade Range. Additional general images include streetcars and trains, street lighting, power line installation, Rose Festival floats, office buildings, car barns and bridges. Of particular note are dam building projects at Bull Run and along the Clackamas River (1910-1930), and early electric stations in Oregon City at Willamette Falls.

Portland General Electric Company

Vancouver substation

Photograph showing a brick and wood building with two smokestacks. In front of the building is a dirt road, and several wheels can be seen on either side of the building. In the background are other buildings, utility poles, and electric lines. Written on the negative is “S324” and “July 1911 Vancouver Sub. Sta.”

Vancouver substation, moving

Photograph showing a cement building being moved via wooden dowels. The round wooden dowels are on top of other layers of cut wood. Several men stand around the building, and utility poles and electric lines can be seen along the left side of the image.

Vancouver substation, during construction, showing framework for first floor and new sub foundation

Photograph showing a construction area, with wooden flooring, a wooden tower, and a chute extending towards the center of the frame. Wooden buildings can be seen in the background and to the left of the construction area, and a labeled measuring stick is leaning against a building also near the center of the frame.

Station L

Photograph taken from a high angle showing wooden pilings over water in the foreground, with piles of cut logs in the distance. Several people can be seen on a wooden structure at the left side of the frame, as well as a group standing on a raised platform cutting logs towards the right side. In the distance, a building on a raised dock structure with a large “Portland Railway, Light & Power Co.” sign can be seen. Written on the glass is “L276.”

Station L, generators

Photograph taken from a high angle, looking downward at two generators. The far unit is being rewound with visible cable. Pieces of debris can be seen around the room, in addition to possible damage on the back wall. Large windows can be seen along the left wall, and metal plating lines the back wall.

Station L

Photograph showing the exterior of Station L (now the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) with several buildings visible. Railroad tracks pass through the front of the frame, and water from the Willamette River can be seen in front of the main stone building.

Station L

Photograph of the engine room of Station L (now the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) showing machinery. A person in a white shirt can be seen on the right side of the frame, and the front unit has “General Electric Company” written on it.

Station L, boiler room

Photograph showing the boiler room at Station L (now the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry). A long row of boiler doors can be seen, and a man in a hat and overalls stands in front of one while looking at the camera. Large metal beams can be seen at the top of the boiler stuctures.

Station L, hog fuel pile

Photograph taken from a high angle of the hog fuel pile at Station L (now the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry), looking south. The Willamette River can be seen on the right side of the frame, and two unidentified churches can be seen in the distance.

Station L, hog fuel pile

Photograph taken of the hog fuel pile at Station L (now the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry). An unhitched wagon sits at the base of the hill to the right, and a “no trespassing” sign is visible near the center of the frame. In the distance, a person can be seen standing at the top of a pile.

Station L, derrick and barge

Photograph taken at Station L (now the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) of hog fuel being unloaded via a derrick from a barge on the Willamette River. The Hawthorne bridge can be seen in the distance, as well as other boats. One person stands on the barge watching a crate being lifted onto the dock.

Station L, tower support

Photograph showing five men looking at the camera and standing in the metal framework on a support tower in the process of being built. Water and a section of a dock can be seen on the right side of the image, next to a large brick building with several rows of windows. Written on the negative in pencil is “E-301-L-3269, first panel of tower support for cinder collector, Sta. L., May 13 1922.”

Station L, electrical units

Photograph showing a large electrical unit (generator?) at Station L (now Oregon Museum of Science and Industry). In the foreground of the image is a wooden crate with pipes. Written on the negative is “4-15-21.” Also on the back of the negative is written “E-301-L-3326.” (image note: see related image PGE-12-76, PGE 12-77, PGE 12-79).

Station L, electrical units

Photograph showing a large electrical unit (generator) at Station L (now Oregon Museum of Science and Industry). Two holes can be seen in the floor in front of the unit, and several pipes are visible in the background. Written on the negative is “PGE 12-76” and “5-28-21.” Also written on the image in pencil is “E-301-L-3330.” (Image note: see related image PGE 12-72, PGE 12-77, PGE 12-79).

Station L, electrical units and pipes

Photograph showing electrical equipment and pipes at Station L (now Oregon Museum of Science and Industry). Several gauges, wheels and levers can be seen throughout the image. In the background, metal sheeting can be seen on the far wall. Written on the image is “8-5-1921.” (Image note: see related images PGE 12-72, PGE 12-76, PGE 12-79).

Station L, electrical units and pipes

Photograph showing a large electrical unit (generator?) at Station L (now Oregon Museum of Science and Industry). On the left side of the frame is a wooden crate and wooden boards. Written on the negative is “4-19-21.” (Image note: see related image PGE-12-72, PGE 12-76, PGE 12-77).

Station L

Photograph showing wooden pilings under set in water at Station L (now the location of the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry).. Behind the orderly pilings is a raised wooden on which rests several pieces of large equipment. Two men in long jackets can be seen near the center of the frame, in addition to several workers in the background of the image. Written on the glass is “L274.”

Station L, electrical unit

Photograph of an electrical unit (generator?) at Station L (now Oregon Museum of Science and Industry). A set up steps leads to an upper part of the unit, next to several round gauges. In the background, several other pieces of electrical equipment can be seen in front of large windows.

Station L, exterior view

Photograph showing the exterior of Station L taken from across the water (now the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) with several buildings visible. The hog fuel pile can be seen on the right, and several loaded barges can be seen next to the docks on the left side of the image. The Willamette River is in the foreground. Part of the image is masked with paper.

General car shops

Exterior photograph of brick building with multiple white doors. On the left is a paved street lined with power lines and poles, with two automobiles in the distance. An empty grass field is seen in front of the building doors.

Results 1 to 28 of 305