Negatives documenting company activities, including electrical infrastructure, employees, power generation and distribution throughout Portland, the Willamette Valley and the Oregon Cascade Range. Additional general images include streetcars and trains, street lighting, power line installation, Rose Festival floats, office buildings, car barns and bridges. Of particular note are dam building projects at Bull Run and along the Clackamas River (1910-1930), and early electric stations in Oregon City at Willamette Falls.
Photograph showing the exterior of Station L (now the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) with several buildings visible. Railroad tracks pass through the front of the frame, and water from the Willamette River can be seen in front of the main stone building.
Photograph of the engine room of Station L (now the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) showing machinery. A person in a white shirt can be seen on the right side of the frame, and the front unit has “General Electric Company” written on it.
Photograph showing a large electrical unit (generator?) at Station L (now Oregon Museum of Science and Industry). On the left side of the frame is a wooden crate and wooden boards. Written on the negative is “4-19-21.” (Image note: see related image PGE-12-72, PGE 12-76, PGE 12-77).
Photograph showing the exterior of Station L taken from across the water (now the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) with several buildings visible. The hog fuel pile can be seen on the right, and several loaded barges can be seen next to the docks on the left side of the image. The Willamette River is in the foreground. Part of the image is masked with paper.
Photograph showing a small horse street car, with “Columbia Land Improvement Co.” written on the side. The car sits on a track on a wooden platform. The photograph is a reproduction of a pinned image (pins can be seen on the frame) with the caption “Horse Car.”
Photograph showing a wrecked building with street cars in the debris. Several men stand on top of one of the cars while looking at the camera. A large pile of building debris surrounds the cars, and other buildings can be seen in the background. The photograph is a reproduction of a printed image.
Photograph showing a group of people posing with four railroad trains. All the individuals are looking at the camera, and a train garage building can be seen in the background. On the left side of the image, a man holds a baby in front of the train with “4” painted on. The photograph is a reproduction of a pinned image (pins can be seen on the frame).
Photograph showing multiple horse-drawn streets cars, shown in front of a building. People stand near the cars while looking at the camera, and at least one horse can be seen, attached to the first car. Written on the side of the cars is “W.B.BT Co.” The photograph is a reproduction of a pinned image (pins can be seen on the frame) with the caption “In the Old Street Car Days.”
Photograph of street car #700, with conductor standing at front window pointing straight. Written on the front of the train is a sign saying “Portland Car Service is Unsurpassed,” and “Sellwood” is indicated at the top. A small kiosk building is visible on the right side of the frame. The photograph is a reproduction of a pinned image (pins can be seen on the frame), with the caption “Modern P-A-Y-E Car.”
Photograph showing train #1404, parked on tracks. On the side of the train is written “The Portland Railway Light & Power Co.” Stacks of pipes can be seen in the background on the left side of the frame.
Photograph showing two cars on a railway trestle bridge, with the Alice Druhot house visible in the background (1903 SW Cable Street). People sit and stand in the cars while looking at the camera. Behind the trains, dirt hills are visible, with very little foliage. On the side of each train is written “Portland Cable Railway Co” and “Post Office – Court House.” The photograph is a reproduction of a pinned image (pins can be seen on the frame).
Photograph showing a women getting on a twin car train. The woman is wearing a hat with a veil and a striped dress. To either side of the woman, two other attached cars are separated by safety gates. (Image note: top left corner of glass negative is broken).
Photograph showing work train #927 in front of a two-story wooden building. On the left side of the image, a brick drugstore can be seen. What appears to be a rope and pulley system are visible on the train car.
Photograph showing the interior of train car #78. A doorway separates passenger seating from the drivers area, and advertisements can be seen along the ceiling. Electric lights line the center of the car.
Photograph showing the interior of train car #1098 with rows of seats and closed door. Advertisements line the ceiling above the windows, and two rows of electric light bulbs can be seen at either side of the car.
Photograph showing the exterior of the River Mill Dam powerhouse, likely shortly after construction. Loose hillsides can be seen to the left and right of the building, with transmission lines throughout (image note: corner of glass negative is broken and missing).
Photograph taken from a side angle of the River Mill Dam and powerhouse, showing exterior of building and view of dam structure. Water from the Clackamas River can be seen moving over the dam, and trees and transmission lines are visible in the distance.
Photograph showing the camp at the River Mill Dam site, taken from the top of the railroad bridge. Snow blankets the ground throughout the image, and numerous wooden buildings an be seen. Written on the negative is “82M.”
Photograph showing a partially completed suspension bridge over the Clackamas river near the River Mill Dam site. Cliffs and trees can be seen throughout the image. Written on the negative is “Dec 22, ‘09 – PES 2009.”
Photograph showing a bridge over the Clackamas River, taken from river level looking upward. In the background, a wooden suspension bridge can be seen across the cliffs behind the larger front bridge. Written on the negative is “Dec 22, ‘09 PRD 2007.”
Photograph of Kendall station, Springwater Division, on 82nd Street. Viewed from between two railroad tracks, the small wooden station building with “Kendall” sign is next to a road and a large transmission line. The name “Geo. Smith Grocer” is written on the side of the larger building.
Photograph of Gilbart Station, Springwater Division, Bucklay Avenue. Taken at an intersection of two dirt roads, a railroad crossing can be seen across the road on the left. Two wooden houses are visible in the distance, as well as numerous electric lines.