Hood River County (Or.)

Taxonomy

Code

45.51911, -121.65111 Map of Hood River County (Or.)

Scope note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Hood River County (Or.)

BT Oregon

Equivalent terms

Hood River County (Or.)

Associated terms

Hood River County (Or.)

11 Collections results for Hood River County (Or.)

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road with view of Mount Hood

Photograph showing the view of Mount Hood from the newly completed Cloud Cap Road, on the mountain’s north side, in October 1926. An unidentified person is standing next to a parked Oregon Journal car and looking at the view. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See related image Nos. 374N0471, 374N0472, 374N0502, 374N0519, 374N0521, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road with view of Mount Hood

Photograph showing the view of Mount Hood from a segment of the newly completed Cloud Cap Road on the north side of the mountain in October 1926. In the foreground, an Oregon Journal car is stopped on the road. The words “Staff Cameraman” are visible on the cover of the car’s spare tire. A cropped version of this photograph was one of three published on the front page of the Oregon Journal on Wednesday, October 6, 1926, under the headline “Cloud Cap Road Is Way of Splendor.” The photographs had the following caption: “Scenes along newly-completed spur road leading from Mouth Hood Loop highway to Cloud Cap inn, giving suggestion of scenic wonders unfolded along trip.” This photograph had the additional caption information: “View of Mount Hood and especially Elliott [sic] glacier from the new road.” The photographs accompanied a story headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See image Nos. 374N0502 and 374N0521, which were published with this photograph, and additional related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0472, 374N0519, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road with view of Mount Hood

Photograph showing the view of Mount Hood from a segment of the newly completed Cloud Cap Road in October 1926. An Oregon Journal car is stopped on the road at left. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. Two years after this photograph was taken, a cropped version was part of of a photo essay published on Page 1, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on May 27, 1928. The photographs accompanied a story, headlined “Wild Forest Scenery at City’s Door,” about the views along the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Note: See related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0471, 374N0502, 374N0519, 374N0521, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527, also taken on the Cloud Cap Road in October 1926.

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road, Mount Hood

Photograph showing an Oregon Journal car driving around a curve on the newly completed Cloud Cap Road on the north side of Mount Hood in October 1926. A cropped version of this photograph was one of three published on the front page of the Oregon Journal on Wednesday, October 6, 1926, under the headline “Cloud Cap Road Is Way of Splendor.” The photographs had the following caption: “Scenes along newly-completed spur road leading from Mouth Hood Loop highway to Cloud Cap inn, giving suggestion of scenic wonders unfolded along trip.” This photograph had the additional caption information: “One of the many wide curves, showing the banking at the outer edge.” The photographs accompanied a story headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See image Nos. 374N0471 and 374N0521, which were published with this photograph, and additional related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0472, 374N0519, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road, Mount Hood

Photograph, taken from the front, showing an Oregon Journal car on the newly completed gravel Cloud Cap Road on the north side of Mount Hood in October 1926. The road is surrounded by forest. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0471, 374N0472, 374N0502, 374N0521, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Cloud Cap Inn on Mount Hood

Photograph of an unidentified man walking outside the Cloud Cap Inn building on the northeastern side of Mount Hood in October 1926. A cropped version of this photograph was one of three published on the front page of the Oregon Journal on Wednesday, October 6, 1926, under the headline “Cloud Cap Road Is Way of Splendor.” The photographs had the following caption: “Scenes along newly-completed spur road leading from Mouth Hood Loop highway to Cloud Cap inn, giving suggestion of scenic wonders unfolded along trip.” This photograph had the additional caption information: “Top picture shows present inn, which Portland interests are seeking to rebuild according to more modern standards of capacity and convenience.” The photographs accompanied a story headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See image Nos. 374N0471 and 374N0502, which were published with this photograph, and additional related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0472, 374N0519, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road, Mount Hood

Photograph, taken from the rear, showing an Oregon Journal car on the newly completed gravel Cloud Cap Road on the north side of Mount Hood in October 1926. The road is surrounded by forest. The words “Staff Cameraman” are visible on the cover of the car’s spare tire. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0471, 374N0472, 374N0502, 374N0519, 374N0521, 374N0523, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road, Mount Hood

Photograph, taken from the rear, of an Oregon Journal car next to a rocky outcropping on the newly completed gravel Cloud Cap Road on the north side of Mount Hood in October 1926. The words “Staff Cameraman” and “Oregon Journal” are visible on the cover of the car’s spare tire. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0471, 374N0472, 374N0502, 374N0519, 374N0521, 374N0522, 374N0524, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Oregon Journal car on Cloud Cap Road with view of Mount Hood

Photograph, taken from the rear, of an Oregon Journal car on the newly completed gravel Cloud Cap Road on the north side of Mount Hood in October 1926. The road is bordered by forest, and the mountain’s peak is visible in the background. The words “Staff Cameraman” and “Oregon Journal” are visible on the cover of the car’s spare tire. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0471, 374N0472, 374N0502, 374N0519, 374N0521, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0526, and 374N0527.

Cloud Cap Road, Mount Hood

Photograph showing a segment of the newly completed gravel Cloud Cap Road on the north side of Mount Hood in October 1926. The road slopes uphill and is bordered by forest. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0471, 374N0472, 374N0502, 374N0519, 374N0521, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0524, and 374N0527.

Cloud Cap Road, Mount Hood

Photograph of the newly completed gravel Cloud Cap Road on the north side of Mount Hood in October 1926. The road curves uphill and is bordered by forest. On October 6, 1926, the Oregon Journal published three related photographs and a front-page story about the completion of the road, headlined “Cloud Cap Road Finished; Fine View Unfolded.” The story reported that the 10-mile-long road, ending at the Cloud Cap Inn, would officially be known as the Cooper spur of the Mount Hood Loop Highway. Construction of the road had begun in 1925. See related image Nos. 374N0470, 374N0471, 374N0472, 374N0502, 374N0519, 374N0521, 374N0522, 374N0523, 374N0524, and 374N0526.