Crowd in stands at baseball game in Portland

Open original デジタルオブジェクト

Identity elements

レファレンスコード

369N0019

リポジトリの名称と所在

記述レベル

アイテム

タイトル

Crowd in stands at baseball game in Portland

日付

規模

Photograph; cellulose nitrate film; 3.75 x 4.75 in

作成者名

(1902-1982)

管理の履歴

The Oregon Journal was an afternoon newspaper based in Portland, Oregon. Originally founded in March 1902 by Alfred D. Bowen under the name Evening Journal, Charles Samuel (“Sam”) Jackson purchased the newspaper that July and renamed it the Oregon Journal. Originally located in the Goodnaugh Building, the Journal’s offices moved to the Jackson Tower in 1912, where they remained until 1948, when the paper moved into the Public Market building on Portland’s waterfront. The Jackson family retained ownership of the paper until the death of C. S. Jackson’s son Philip in 1953.

The Journal was known for some innovations. It shipped additional issues to Oregon’s coastal towns during the summer months as a means of boosting circulation. It was also the first newspaper in the United States to own a helicopter, and its waterfront building included a helicopter pad.

The Journal was considered a rival to Portland’s other major newspaper, the Oregonian, throughout its existence. The Journal’s editorials favored the Democratic Party, in contrast with the Oregonian’s Republican leanings, and expressed what some labeled an anti-establishment tone. However, the two papers became intertwined as time went on. In the 1950s, the Journal began to suffer from revenue losses, and discussed the possibility of sharing production facilities with the Oregonian. For the first five months of the protracted Portland newspaper strike which began in 1959, the Journal and Oregonian published joint issues. In August 1961, the Oregonian Publishing Company, by then owned by newspaper mogul Samuel I. Newhouse, purchased the Journal for $8 million. With this sale, the Journal offices and production facilities merged with those of the Oregonian on SW Broadway, although the Journal retained its own editorial department and tone.

The Journal’s highest circulation was at 201,000 in March 1948. By 1982, circulation had reduced to a little more than 100,000, and the paper struggled to remain relevant in an age where afternoon newspapers were considered obsolete. The Journal published its final issue on September 6, 1982. The paper’s staff and production were then absorbed into the Oregonian.

Content and structure elements

範囲と内容

Photograph of a crowd of fans in the stadium, taken from within the stands.

編成システム

Conditions of access and use elements

アクセスの条件

物理的アクセス

Technical access

複製の条件

Languages of the material

資料に用いられている文字

言語とスクリプトの注記

検索手段

取得と評価・選別に関する項目

収蔵状況の経緯

直接の取得先

評価選別、廃棄、スケジュールに関する情報

追加資料

関連資料エレメント

原本の存在と所在

Oregon Journal Negative Collection; Org. Lot 1368; Box 369; 369N019

コピーの存在と所在

関連するアーカイブズ資料

関連の記述

Notes element

Specialized notes

別の識別子

Description control element

ルールまたは規則

Sources used

アクセスポイント

主題アクセスポイント

場所のアクセスポイント

名称アクセスポイント

ジャンルのアクセスポイント

デジタルオブジェクト metadata

デジタルオブジェクト (マスター) rights area

デジタルオブジェクト (レファレンス) rights area

デジタルオブジェクト (サムネイル) rights area

受入資料エリア

関連する主題

関連する人や組織(複数可)

関係するジャンル