cellulose nitrate film

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

cellulose nitrate film

Equivalent terms

cellulose nitrate film

Associated terms

cellulose nitrate film

1897 Collections results for cellulose nitrate film

Only results directly related

Brigadier General Paul A. Wolf presents Distinguished Service Cross to Helmuth B. Dewitz

Photograph of Brigadier General Paul A. Wolf (left) and Helmuth B. Dewitz after Wolf presented Dewitz with the Distinguished Service Cross, visible on Dewitz’s lapel. Dewitz received the medal in recognition of valor in France in 1918, during World War I; Wolf was his commander. The photograph was taken on March 29, 1932, at the National Guard armory in Portland. Image note: “Helmuth B. De Witz + Wolfe” (sic) is written on the negative and is visible at the bottom of the image.

Bright Domino, Hereford yearling

Photograph of a male Hereford yearling in Portland for the 1928 Pacific International Livestock Exposition. The number 3 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper right corner of the image. A cropped version of this photograph, along with image Nos. 374N0845 and 374N0848, was published on Page 12 of the Oregon Journal on November 2, 1928. The three photographs were published together under the headline “Some of the Champions Here for Week.” This image had the following caption information: “Bright Domino, senior Hereford yearling of the Mount Crest Farms, Hilt, Cal. He has been entered in nine stock shows in the United States and one in Canada so far this year and stands undefeated.”

Broadway entrance to Journal Building, downtown Portland

Photograph, taken from across the street, showing entrances to the Oregon Journal Building on Broadway (now Southwest Broadway) in Portland. At right is the entrance to Mary Cullen’s Cottage, which housed the Journal’s household arts department and a demonstration kitchen. Cars are parked on the street outside the building. The Journal Building is now known as the Jackson Tower.

Bruce Bairnsfather

Portrait of a man, British cartoonist Bruce Bairnsfather, wearing a hat, overcoat, collared shirt, and tie. He is holding a cigarette. A similar photograph, image No. 371N0328, was published on Page 1 of the Oregon Journal on Wednesday, April 6, 1932. The photograph accompanied a story with the headline “Ol’ Bill, Famed Warrior, Here With Creator.” Image note: The name “Bruce Brainsfather [sic]” is written on the negative and is visible at the top of the image.

Bruce Bairnsfather

Portrait of a man wearing a hat, overcoat, collared shirt, and tie. He is looking slightly left and is holding a cigarette. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 1 of the Oregon Journal on Wednesday, April 6, 1932, under the headline “Ol’ Bill’s Pap.” The photograph had the following caption: “Captain Bruce Bairnsfather, noted British cartoonist and creator of Ol’ Bill, lovable war character, who lectures at the Town club tonight.” The photograph accompanied a story about Bairnsfather and Ol’ Bill, headlined “Ol’ Bill, Famed Warrior, Here With Creator.” Image note: The name “Bruce Bairnsfather” is written on the negative and is visible at the top of the image.

Building at 16th and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph of a seven-story building at the corner of 16th and Yamhill streets (now Southwest 16th Avenue and Southwest Yamhill Street) in Portland. A sign for the Hotel Mallory is visible at upper right. Image note: Photograph quality is poor due to extensive deterioration of the negative.

Building at First and Alder, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of a three-story building at the corner of 1st and Alder streets (now Southwest 1st Avenue and Southwest Alder Street) in Portland. The building has a mansard roof and arched windows on the upper stories. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Once occupied by Emil Weber’s gambling hall / Now used as P E P Co’s [Portland Electric Power Company’s] interurban station.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Buildings on Jersey Street?, St. Johns, Portland

Photograph, taken from the street, showing a row of buildings, in St. Johns, Portland, possibly on Jersey Street. On the building at center left is a sign for Bonham and Currier; on the building at center is a sign for the Peninsula Security. On the building at far right is a sign for the Peninsula National Bank. The number 5 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image.

Bull Run, Big Sandy bridge

Photograph showing a wooden bridge at the Big Sandy Dam (likely the Marmot Dam). Water is flowing under the bridge, and in the distance several wooden structures and utility poles are visible. Written on the negative is “B.S.4.” (Image note: some discoloration visible at left side of image).

Bull Run, Big Sandy canal excavation

Photograph showing a man standing with construction debris during canal excavation for the Big Sandy Dam project (likely Marmot Dam). Large rock and pieces of wood can be seen throughout the image. In the background, other men can be seen next to a wooden wall. Written on the negative is “B.S.1.”

Bull Run, Big Sandy dam construction

Photograph showing construction at the Big Sandy Dam (likely the Marmot Dam). Several men can be seen standing on the wooden structure at the center of the frame. In the background, a wooden bridge crosses the river, surrounded by trees. Written on the image is B.S-19.”

Bull Run, Big Sandy dam construction

Photograph showing construction at the Big Sandy Dam (likely the Marmot Dam). In the foreground, two men stand on top of the wooden spillway structure, while other works can be seen in the background towards the hillside. Gravel and more wood can be seen towards the top of the hill. Written on the image is B.S-37.”

Bull Run, Big Sandy dam construction

Photograph showing the Big Sandy Dam (likely the Marmot Dam) spillway with flowing water, taken looking upriver. A cement divider can be seen at the top of the spillway, in front of a small wooden structure and platform. Written on the negative is “B.S. 52.” (Image note: discoloration visible at right side of image).

Bull Run, Big Sandy tunnel construction

Photograph showing construction of the tunnel at the Big Sandy Dam (likely the Marmot Dam). A man stands next to a machine next to the tunnel entrance, which is emitting a large plume of steam. Wood and gravel is visible throughout the image. Written on the negative is “B.S. 48.”

Results 141 to 168 of 1897