The Williams Avenue YWCA during the 1940s and 1950s. The building was sold in 1959.
69 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
The Williams Avenue YWCA during the 1940s and 1950s. The building was sold in 1959.
Photograph, taken from the top of the Public Service Building, showing downtown buildings in southwest Portland. A cropped version of this photograph was one of four published on Page 1, Section 3, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, August 19, 1928. The photographs were published under the headline “Around-the-Weather-Vane Views of Down Town Portland.” They had the caption: “Portland’s imposing skyline when viewed from the top of the Public Service building, has many points of interest.” This photograph had the following additional caption information: “1—Looking to the northwest, with The Journal tower, the Portland hotel and the American Bank building in the foreground.” The Journal tower is now known as the Jackson Tower. See related image Nos. 371N5419, 371N5435, and 371N5484, which were published with this photograph.
Photograph, looking to the east, showing buildings in downtown Portland and the Willamette River. The photograph was taken from approximately Southwest 5th Avenue and Southwest Taylor Street, which is at center right. The Morrison Bridge is at upper left. At left center is the building housing Powers Furniture. In the lower left corner are the Central Public Market and the Moose Temple.
Photograph, taken from a high angle and looking toward the south, showing the Willamette River at left, the Hawthorne Bridge at top, and the downtown buildings between the Hawthorne Bridge and the Morrison Bridge. The Morrison Bridge is partially visible at the lower left edge of the photograph. The intersection at bottom center is Southwest Morrison Street and Southwest 1st Avenue.
Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing buildings in downtown Portland. The view is toward the east. The street at bottom is Yamhill, now Southwest Yamhill Street. At lower right is the Vista Market, which was located at 4th and Yamhill.
Photograph showing buildings along Broadway (now Southwest Broadway) in Portland, including the New Heathman Hotel, the Broadway Theatre, and the Journal Building (at center right, with clock at top, now known as the Jackson Tower). The view is to the north. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to negative damage.
Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing the view down 6th Street in Portland (now Southwest 6th Avenue). The intersection at the bottom of the image is 6th and Washington, and the view is to the southwest. The tower of the Oregonian building and the Northwestern National Bank building (now the American Bank Building) are visible at top right. The Meier & Frank building is at center left.
Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing traffic and buildings along 6th Street (now Southwest 6th Avenue) in Portland. The view is toward the south. The intersection at center is 6th and Oak Street. At right center is the Wells Fargo Building. The tower of the Oregonian building is partially visible in the distance at right. Also visible are signs for the Virginia Hotel (lower left); the Guaranty Building (center left); the National Portland Garages (lower right); Faturo's Mens Wear (lower right); and the Columbia Theatre (arched above the street in the distance).
Photograph showing the view of traffic and buildings on Sixth Street (now Southwest Sixth Avenue) in Portland. The view is to the north. The intersection at the bottom of the image is Morrison Street (now Southwest Morrison Street). At center right is the Meier & Frank building. The number 6 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper right corner of the image.
Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing traffic and buildings along 6th Street (now Southwest 6th Avenue) in Portland. The intersection toward the bottom is 6th and Morrison Street (now Southwest Morrison Street). At lower left is the Portland Hotel, and at center left is the Northwestern National Bank Building (now the American Bank Building). At center right is the Meier and Frank Building. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.
Photograph showing a detachment of U. S. Marines marching at the head of the Portland Rose Festival’s grand floral parade on Friday, June 15, 1917. They are marching south on Sixth Street (now Southwest Sixth Avenue) near the intersection with Morrison Street (now Southwest Morrison Street). Spectators are lining the street. See related image Nos. 376G0106, 376G0153, 376G0154, 376G0155, 376G0156, 376G0157, 376G0158, and 376G0159.
Photograph, looking north on Sixth Street (now NW 6th Avenue), showing Union Station at center. At left and right are buildings and parked cars along Sixth. On the buildings at left are signs for the Boyd Hotel and the Newport Restaurant. On the building in the foreground at right are signs for William Volker & Co. and the Washington Cycle & Supply Co. An unidentified man in uniform, possibly a Portland police uniform is standing on the corner at right. A mark that could be the letter “p” or “d” is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image.
Photograph showing the exterior of a two-story wooden building that has bay windows on the second floor. A restaurant and tailor shop are located on the ground floor. A sign in a corner window of the upper floor reads: “FOR RENT / O. V. BADLEY / EAST 3154 / 825 S. E. Grand Avenue.” Cars are parked along the street outside the building. The spire of a church is visible in the background at center.
Photograph, taken from across the street, showing the exterior of the Hollywood Arcade building at East 41st Street North and Sandy Boulevard (now Northeast 41st Avenue and Northeast Sandy Boulevard) in Portland. The building was adjacent to the Hollywood Theatre, which is partially visible at the far left edge of the photograph. At center, two unidentified people are standing on a platform and working on the front of the building. In front of the building are small piles of debris. Bunting is hung from the roof of the building. On the building at upper center is a sign that reads: “ARCADE PUBLIC MARKET / SOUTH SIDE of SANDY at 41st / OPENING DEC. 19.” The photograph was taken in 1931.
Photograph showing members of the Third Oregon Regiment marching in a patriotic parade in downtown Portland during the Rose Festival on Thursday, June 14, 1917. The street is lined with spectators A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 7, Section 3, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, June 17, 1917, under the headline “Oregon’s Men in Arms Inspiring Feature of Flag Day Parade on Thursday Afternoon.” The photograph had the following caption: Men of Third Oregon Regiment passing east on Morrison Street through lanes of spectators thrilled at this spectacle of military preparedness.” See related image Nos. 376G0105, 376G0106, 376G0153, 376G0154, 376G0155, 376G0156, 376G0157, and 376G0159.
Photograph showing the exterior of The Home Plate restaurant at Southeast 49th Avenue and Southeast Hawthorne Boulevard in Portland. An unidentified man in an apron is standing in front of the building. The view is to the north. Across the top of the building are the words “ICES / ALES / CANDY / TOBACCO.” Below that are the words “THE HOME PLATE / ‘HAMBURGERS AND OTHERS.’ “ Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.
Photograph showing the nine-story Studio Building at West Park and Taylor streets (now Southwest 9th Avenue and Southwest Taylor Street) in Portland. To the right is the attached theater, which later became the Guild Theatre. The building was completed in 1927. The photograph was taken from Taylor Street and the view is toward the northwest.
Photograph of three unidentified people driving speedboats on the Willamette River in Portland. The word “Inverness” is visible on the side of the boat at left. A single-masted boat is moored in the background. Also see image Nos. 371N5184, 371N5984, and 371N5986.
Photograph, taken from the side, showing the exterior of the ornate entrance to the Kamm block on Pine Street (now Southwest Pine Street) between Front and First in Portland. Above the doorway is a balcony; just below the balcony are two male figures carved to look as though they are supporting the balcony on their backs. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Attractive entry to Kamm Block built in 1884.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, and 371N5470, which were published on the same spread.
Norr, Roy (Photographer)
Photograph showing a line of cars parked next to the the Sea Wall Public Market building at Southwest Front Avenue and Southwest Yamhill Street in Portland. Also see image No. 372A1131, which may be related.
Photograph showing the Sea Wall Public Market building at the corner of Southwest Front Avenue and Southwest Yamhill Street in Portland. Also see image No. 372A1137, which may be related.
Photograph, taken from a high angle and looking toward the southeast, showing buildings in downtown Portland and the Hawthorne Bridge in the distance. In the foreground is the building occupied by the Jenning's furniture store at 5th and Washington streets (now Southwest 5th Avenue and Southwest Washington street). In the distance at center, just to the right of the bridge, is the Yeon Building.
Photograph of a picture showing the Grand Central Public Market building at 808 Southeast Morrison Street in Portland.
Photograph of a picture of a city street, possibly 5th Street (now Southwest Fifth Avenue) in Portland. The picture, taken from a high vantage, shows buildings and streetcars. The building at left may be the Meier & Frank building at 5th and Morrison. At bottom center is a sign for Moore’s Cafeteria.