Buildings--Oregon--Portland

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Buildings--Oregon--Portland

Equivalent terms

Buildings--Oregon--Portland

Associated terms

Buildings--Oregon--Portland

69 Collections results for Buildings--Oregon--Portland

69 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Side view of entrance to Kamm Block, Pine Street, Portland

Photograph, taken from the side, showing the exterior of the ornate entrance to the Kamm block on Pine Street (now Southwest Pine Street) between Front and First in Portland. Above the doorway is a balcony; just below the balcony are two male figures carved to look as though they are supporting the balcony on their backs. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Attractive entry to Kamm Block built in 1884.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, and 371N5470, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

The Home Plate restaurant, Southeast 49th and Hawthorne, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of The Home Plate restaurant at Southeast 49th Avenue and Southeast Hawthorne Boulevard in Portland. An unidentified man in an apron is standing in front of the building. The view is to the north. Across the top of the building are the words “ICES / ALES / CANDY / TOBACCO.” Below that are the words “THE HOME PLATE / ‘HAMBURGERS AND OTHERS.’ “ Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

John K. Leander Company auto dealership, Broadway North and Everett Street, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the John K. Leander Co. car dealership in Portland. The photograph was taken at the corner of Broadway North and Everett Street (now Northwest Broadway and Northwest Everett Street). See related image No. 371N5409, depicting the adjoining Leander service shop, and 371N5510. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Two people working on Hollywood Arcade building prior to opening of Arcade Public Market

Photograph, taken from across the street, showing the exterior of the Hollywood Arcade building at East 41st Street North and Sandy Boulevard (now Northeast 41st Avenue and Northeast Sandy Boulevard) in Portland. The building was adjacent to the Hollywood Theatre, which is partially visible at the far left edge of the photograph. At center, two unidentified people are standing on a platform and working on the front of the building. In front of the building are small piles of debris. Bunting is hung from the roof of the building. On the building at upper center is a sign that reads: “ARCADE PUBLIC MARKET / SOUTH SIDE of SANDY at 41st / OPENING DEC. 19.” The photograph was taken in 1931.

Firefighters climbing to roof of building at Second and Pine, Portland

Photograph showing fire trucks parked outside a building on Pine Street at Second in Portland (now Southwest Pine Street and Southwest Second Avenue). A ladder extends from one of the trucks to the roof of the building, and several firefighters are carrying a hose up the ladder. Two more men are standing on the roof of the building. A related photograph, image No. 373G458, was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. That photograph was one of seven published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. Also see additional related image No. 373G0456. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 132 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Firefighters climbing to roof of building at Second and Pine, Portland

Photograph showing fire trucks parked outside a building on Pine Street at Second in Portland (now Southwest Pine Street and Southwest Second Avenue) in 1913. A ladder extends from one of the trucks to the roof of the building, and several firefighters are carrying a hose up the ladder. Two more men are standing on the roof of the building. A related photograph, image No. 373G458, was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. That photograph was one of seven published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. Also see additional related image No. 373G0457. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 131 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Firefighters on ladder, Pine Street, Portland

Photograph showing four firefighters on a ladder extending straight upward from a truck parked on Pine Street (now Southwest Pine Street) in Portland between Second and Third. The sides of the image have been masked out. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. It was one of seven photographs published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” This photograph had the following caption: “Auto Aerial Truck.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. See related image Nos. 373G0456 and 373G0457. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is faintly visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 215 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Results 57 to 69 of 69