Buildings--Oregon--Portland

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Buildings--Oregon--Portland

Equivalent terms

Buildings--Oregon--Portland

Associated terms

Buildings--Oregon--Portland

69 Collections results for Buildings--Oregon--Portland

69 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Firefighters climbing to roof of building at Second and Pine, Portland

Photograph showing fire trucks parked outside a building on Pine Street at Second in Portland (now Southwest Pine Street and Southwest Second Avenue). A ladder extends from one of the trucks to the roof of the building, and several firefighters are carrying a hose up the ladder. Two more men are standing on the roof of the building. A related photograph, image No. 373G458, was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. That photograph was one of seven published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. Also see additional related image No. 373G0456. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 132 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

United States Marines marching in Portland Rose Festival grand floral parade

Photograph showing a detachment of U. S. Marines marching at the head of the Portland Rose Festival’s grand floral parade on Friday, June 15, 1917. They are marching south on Sixth Street (now Southwest Sixth Avenue) near the intersection with Morrison Street (now Southwest Morrison Street). Spectators are lining the street. See related image Nos. 376G0106, 376G0153, 376G0154, 376G0155, 376G0156, 376G0157, 376G0158, and 376G0159.

John K. Leander Company auto dealership, Broadway North and Everett Street, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the John K. Leander Co. car dealership in Portland. The photograph was taken at the corner of Broadway North and Everett Street (now Northwest Broadway and Northwest Everett Street). See related image No. 371N5409, depicting the adjoining Leander service shop, and 371N5510. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Building at 16th and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph of a seven-story building at the corner of 16th and Yamhill streets (now Southwest 16th Avenue and Southwest Yamhill Street) in Portland. A sign for the Hotel Mallory is visible at upper right. Image note: Photograph quality is poor due to extensive deterioration of the negative.

Esmond rooming house, Front and Morrison, Portland

Photograph showing a four-story building on Front and Morrison streets (now Southwest Morrison Street) in Portland. The building has bay windows on the second and third floors. On the ground floor is a sign for Oregon Sheet Metal Works. The 1905 Morrison Bridge is partially visible in the background. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Last wing of the New Esmond Hotel - Front & Morrison Sts.” The story reported that the hotel opened in 1878, but only the portion of the building shown in this photograph remained in 1928, and it operated as the Esmond rooming house. See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Four-story brick building, 22nd and Sandy, Portland

Photograph showing a four-story brick building at Northeast Sandy Boulevard and Northeast 22nd Avenue in Portland. The building has a hexagonal gable with a tile roof. The view is of the northeast side of the building. On the right side of the photograph is a sign on the building for “Peake The Shade Man.”

View of 6th Street, downtown Portland, facing southwest

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing the view down 6th Street in Portland (now Southwest 6th Avenue). The intersection at the bottom of the image is 6th and Washington, and the view is to the southwest. The tower of the Oregonian building and the Northwestern National Bank building (now the American Bank Building) are visible at top right. The Meier & Frank building is at center left.

View of 6th Street, downtown Portland, facing south

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing traffic and buildings along 6th Street (now Southwest 6th Avenue) in Portland. The view is toward the south. The intersection at center is 6th and Oak Street. At right center is the Wells Fargo Building. The tower of the Oregonian building is partially visible in the distance at right. Also visible are signs for the Virginia Hotel (lower left); the Guaranty Building (center left); the National Portland Garages (lower right); Faturo's Mens Wear (lower right); and the Columbia Theatre (arched above the street in the distance).

Speedboats on Willamette River in Portland

Photograph of three unidentified people driving speedboats on the Willamette River in Portland. The word “Inverness” is visible on the side of the boat at left. A single-masted boat is moored in the background. Also see image Nos. 371N5184, 371N5984, and 371N5986.

Building at Southeast Union Avenue and Southeast Alder Street, Portland

Photograph showing a two-story building at the corner of Southeast Union Avenue (now Southeast Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard) and Southeast Alder Street in Portland. The view is to the east along Alder. On the corner of the building are signs reading “ORE-WA Packing Co.” “W. W. Swank Co. / 401 / Brokers / 401.” At center is a sign for J. L. Austin Sheet Metal Works. See related image No. 372A1223. Image note: Light leak on negative.

Photograph of 5th Street?, downtown Portland

Photograph of a picture of a city street, possibly 5th Street (now Southwest Fifth Avenue) in Portland. The picture, taken from a high vantage, shows buildings and streetcars. The building at left may be the Meier & Frank building at 5th and Morrison. At bottom center is a sign for Moore’s Cafeteria.

Carstens Packing Company, Front Street, Portland

Photograph, taken from across the street, showing a truck parked outside a three-story brick building on Front Street between Stark and Washington in downtown Portland. A sign on the front of the building reads “Carstens Packing Co.” A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Original home of Ladd & Tilton Bank on Front Street / The first two stories were Portland’s first brick building / Built in 1853.” Wharton reported that the third story had been added later. See related image Nos. 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Bank of British Columbia building, Front and Ankeny, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the Bank of British Columbia building at Front and Ankeny streets in downtown Portland. The building is three stories and has arched windows. Wooden barriers block off the front of the building, and a crane is parked at left. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Bank of British Columbia bldg Front & Ankeny, Portland’s second bank.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

View of downtown Portland buildings

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing buildings in downtown Portland. The view is toward the east. The street at bottom is Yamhill, now Southwest Yamhill Street. At lower right is the Vista Market, which was located at 4th and Yamhill.

Union Station and 6th Street, Portland

Photograph, looking north on Sixth Street (now NW 6th Avenue), showing Union Station at center. At left and right are buildings and parked cars along Sixth. On the buildings at left are signs for the Boyd Hotel and the Newport Restaurant. On the building in the foreground at right are signs for William Volker & Co. and the Washington Cycle & Supply Co. An unidentified man in uniform, possibly a Portland police uniform is standing on the corner at right. A mark that could be the letter “p” or “d” is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image.

Side view of entrance to Kamm Block, Pine Street, Portland

Photograph, taken from the side, showing the exterior of the ornate entrance to the Kamm block on Pine Street (now Southwest Pine Street) between Front and First in Portland. Above the doorway is a balcony; just below the balcony are two male figures carved to look as though they are supporting the balcony on their backs. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Attractive entry to Kamm Block built in 1884.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, and 371N5470, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Firefighters on ladder, Pine Street, Portland

Photograph showing four firefighters on a ladder extending straight upward from a truck parked on Pine Street (now Southwest Pine Street) in Portland between Second and Third. The sides of the image have been masked out. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. It was one of seven photographs published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” This photograph had the following caption: “Auto Aerial Truck.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. See related image Nos. 373G0456 and 373G0457. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is faintly visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 215 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Unidentified two-story wooden building, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of a two-story wooden building that has bay windows on the second floor. A restaurant and tailor shop are located on the ground floor. A sign in a corner window of the upper floor reads: “FOR RENT / O. V. BADLEY / EAST 3154 / 825 S. E. Grand Avenue.” Cars are parked along the street outside the building. The spire of a church is visible in the background at center.

View of downtown Portland buildings and Willamette River from 5th and Taylor

Photograph, looking to the east, showing buildings in downtown Portland and the Willamette River. The photograph was taken from approximately Southwest 5th Avenue and Southwest Taylor Street, which is at center right. The Morrison Bridge is at upper left. At left center is the building housing Powers Furniture. In the lower left corner are the Central Public Market and the Moose Temple.

Lombard and Oatman, Arbor Lodge, Portland

Photograph, taken from the middle of North Lombard Street in Arbor Lodge, Portland, showing the street and the building at the intersection of Lombard and Oatman Street, which is blocked by a barrier. Streetcar tracks run down Lombard into the distance. The number 11 is written on the negative is visible in the lower right corner of the photograph. Image note: Light leak on negative.

Results 1 to 28 of 69