Buildings--Oregon--Portland

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

  • LCSH

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Buildings--Oregon--Portland

Equivalent terms

Buildings--Oregon--Portland

Associated terms

Buildings--Oregon--Portland

245 Collections results for Buildings--Oregon--Portland

245 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

10th and Washington streets, downtown Portland

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing cars and buildings along Washington Street (now Southwest Washington Street) in Portland. The photograph was taken at the intersection of Washington and 10th Street (now Southwest 10th Avenue) and the view is to the southeast. On the left side of the image is a sign for the Northwestern Electric Co., located in the Pittock Block. A sign for The Hazelwood restaurant is visible on the building in the foreground at right.

3rd and Burnside, Portland

Photograph, taken from the center of the street, looking west on Burnside Street in Portland. The photograph was taken from approximately Third and Burnside (now Northwest Third Avenue and West Burnside Street). The photograph shows the buildings along Burnside and vehicles in motion. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

57 Front Avenue

Cast-iron architecture of the building at 57 First Avenue, New Market Block, North Wing. Sign reads, "Steckmest & McDougall Inc." Further back is a sign for DuPont Dulux Marine Finishes. Dodd Building is visible in reflection of window. Wider view of this building in Negative 3992.

White, Minor

Allen and Lewis Block

Clothes dry on a line in a vacant lot in front of a cast-iron building on the Allen and Lewis Block. Looking east from First Avenue. Half of a rooftop sign is visible, advertising Weinhard Beer since 1856.

White, Minor

Ankeny and Watson Building

The Ankeny and Watson Building at 22 SW Front Avenue. East side of Front between Ash and Ankeny Streets. Taken March 18, 1939.

White, Minor

Artisans Building, Broadway and Oak, Portland

Photograph showing the Artisans Building at the northwest corner of Broadway and Oak (now Southwest Broadway and Southwest Oak Street) in Portland. The Lumbermens Trust Company is on the ground floor. The photograph was taken from a high angle on the southeast corner of the intersection.

Auto glass shop at corner of Southeast 7th Avenue near Morrison?, Portland

Photograph showing a two-story building on a corner of Southeast Seventh Avenue in Portland, possibly near Southeast Morrison Street. On the ground floor of the building is an auto-glass shop. At left center are directional signs pointing to the Morrison Bridge and City Center. At far left are billboards advertising paint and Camel cigarettes.

Bank of British Columbia building, Front and Ankeny, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the Bank of British Columbia building at Front and Ankeny streets in downtown Portland. The building is three stories and has arched windows. Wooden barriers block off the front of the building, and a crane is parked at left. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Bank of British Columbia bldg Front & Ankeny, Portland’s second bank.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy

Barnhart Building demolition

Miles Building demolition, Front and Pine Streets. Bricks are stacked on the sidewalk. Attached to the same strip of film as Negative No. 3989.

White, Minor

Barnhart and Miles Buildings

Demolition of the Barnhart and Miles buildings on Front Avenue and Pine Street. Starr Block on the left. A sign on the side of a building advertises the J.J. Ross Mill. A pile of debris sits on the sidewalk. Same subject as Negative No. 390120-2.

White, Minor

Barnhart and Miles Buildings

Barnhart and Miles, and other buildings. Looking south on Front Avenue from Pine Street. A sign on the side of a building advertises the J.J. Ross Mill. A pile of debris sits on the sidewalk. Attached to the same strip of film as Negative No. 3982. Same subject as Negative No. 390120-2.

White, Minor

Barnhart and Miles Buildings

Barnhart and Miles, and other buildings. Looking south on Front Avenue from Pine Street. A sign on the side of a building advertises the J.J. Ross Mill. A pile of debris sits on the sidewalk. Taken January 20, 1939.

White, Minor

Barnhart and Miles Buildings

Demolition of the Barnhart and Miles buildings on SW Front Avenue. Piles of bricks are stacked in the back of a flatbed truck parked on the street outside. Taken February 8, 1939.

White, Minor

Boss Lunch building on Northwest Flanders Street

Photograph showing a small wooden building on the corner of NW Flanders Street and SW First Avenue. A sign on the two-story triangular building reads “Boss Lunch” (87 NW Flanders Street) which is surrounded one three sides by cobblestone streets. A large metal gas tank is visible behind the building, next to an entrance ramp for the Steel Bridge (negative 11 of 11).

Monner, Al (Alfred Anthony), 1909-1998

Boss Lunch building on Northwest Flanders Street

Photograph showing a small wooden building on the corner of NW Flanders Street and SW First Avenue. A sign on the two-story triangular building reads “Boss Lunch” (87 NW Flanders Street) which is surrounded one three sides by cobblestone streets. The Burnside Bridge can be seen in the distance, crossing the Willamette River. This building was later demolished (negative 6 of 11).

Monner, Al (Alfred Anthony), 1909-1998

Broadway looking north from Salmon

Street scene photograph taken during the Portland Rose Festival from street level, looking north on SW Broadway from SW Salmon Street. In the distance, the Journal Building (now Jackson Tower) is visible on the right side of the street. Several signs are strung over the street, including for the “Orpheum Vaudeville,” “Hippodrome,” “Baker Theater,” and “Liberty Theater.” Automobiles line both sides of the street, and two street cars can be seen in the distance.

Broadway north from Electric Building

Street scene photograph taken during the Portland Rose Festival from a high vantage point from the Electric Building at 621 SW Alder Street, looking north. Street cars and automobiles are visible on the street. Signs for “Western Union Theater,” “Liberty Theater,” and “Bronson’s” are visible. Evergreen boughs are strung between streetlights, and two American flags hang at the front of the frame.

Building at 16th and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph of a seven-story building at the corner of 16th and Yamhill streets (now Southwest 16th Avenue and Southwest Yamhill Street) in Portland. A sign for the Hotel Mallory is visible at upper right. Image note: Photograph quality is poor due to extensive deterioration of the negative.

Building at 1701 Southwest First Avenue, where storekeeper was murdered

Buildings and automobiles on S.W. 1st Avenue in Portland. Storekeeper George Alexoff was murdered at 1701 S.W. First Avenue in 1935 (two-story wooden building at right side of street). A story detailing the Alexoff murder was published in the Oregon Journal on Sunday, January 20, 1946 (negative 1 of 2).

Monner, Al (Alfred Anthony), 1909-1998

Building at 1701 Southwest First Avenue, where storekeeper was murdered

A two-story wooden building at 1701 S.W. First Avenue in Portland. Storekeeper George Alexoff was murdered at the building, previously home to a general store, in 1935. A story detailing the Alexoff murder was published in the Oregon Journal on Sunday, January 20, 1946 (negative 2 of 2).

Monner, Al (Alfred Anthony), 1909-1998

Building at First and Alder, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of a three-story building at the corner of 1st and Alder streets (now Southwest 1st Avenue and Southwest Alder Street) in Portland. The building has a mansard roof and arched windows on the upper stories. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Once occupied by Emil Weber’s gambling hall / Now used as P E P Co’s [Portland Electric Power Company’s] interurban station.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy

Results 1 to 28 of 245