Buildings--Oregon--Portland

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Buildings--Oregon--Portland

Equivalent terms

Buildings--Oregon--Portland

Associated terms

Buildings--Oregon--Portland

69 Collections results for Buildings--Oregon--Portland

69 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Lombard and Oatman, Arbor Lodge, Portland

Photograph, taken from the middle of North Lombard Street in Arbor Lodge, Portland, showing the street and the building at the intersection of Lombard and Oatman Street, which is blocked by a barrier. Streetcar tracks run down Lombard into the distance. The number 11 is written on the negative is visible in the lower right corner of the photograph. Image note: Light leak on negative.

Masonic Temple, West Park Street, Portland

Photograph of the Masonic Temple on West Park Street (now Southwest Park Avenue) in Portland. The photograph was taken at the intersection of Park and Madison Street. The streets next to the building are lined with parked cars. The building is now part of the Portland Art Museum and is known as the Mark Building. See related image No. 371N5383.

Men’s Resort of First Presbyterian Church, 4th and Burnside, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior and entrance of the Men’s Resort of the First Presbyterian Church, located at Fourth and Burnside streets (now Southwest 4th Avenue and West Burnside street). Just above the door is a bas-relief sign that reads “MENS RESORT.” In the window above the door is a second sign that reads “MENS RESORT / FREE / READING ROOM.”

Morrison Street, downtown Portland, facing northwest

Photograph showing traffic and buildings along Morrison Street (now Southwest Morrison Street) in downtown Portland. The intersection at center is 6th and Morrison. At left front is Pioneer Courthouse, and at left center is the Portland Hotel. At upper right is the Northwestern National Bank Building, now known as the American Bank Building. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Morrison and Grand, Portland

Photograph showing the view down Southeast Morrison Street at Southeast Grand Avenue. The photograph was taken from the center of Morrison and the view is toward the west. The photograph shows vehicles and streetcar tracks on Morrison and the buildings bordering the street. In the foreground at left is the Adrian Hotel building. Liggett’s Drug Store occupies the corner space of the ground floor. In the background at center is the John Deere Plow Company Building at Southeast 2nd Avenue and Morrison; the word “JOHN” is visible at the top.

New Market Theatre building, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the New Market Theater building in downtown Portland and several cars parked on the street. On the ground floor is the Multnomah Hotel Garage car-repair shop. The building is bordered by Southwest 1st and 2nd avenues and Southwest Ash and Ankeny streets. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Entrance to Newmarket Building / First Street / Portland’s finest theatre from 1872 to 1885.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5397, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Parrish building, Front and Washington, Portland

Photograph showing two trucks parked outside the three-story Parrish building at Front and Washington (now Southwest Washington Street) in Portland. On the ground floor are signs for the Western Fruit & Produce Company and the Tri-State Produce Company. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Southwest corner Front & Washington streets. Site of the first post office [in Portland].” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Photograph of 5th Street?, downtown Portland

Photograph of a picture of a city street, possibly 5th Street (now Southwest Fifth Avenue) in Portland. The picture, taken from a high vantage, shows buildings and streetcars. The building at left may be the Meier & Frank building at 5th and Morrison. At bottom center is a sign for Moore’s Cafeteria.

Rooftop view of downtown Portland and Hawthorne Bridge

Photograph, taken from a high angle and looking toward the southeast, showing buildings in downtown Portland and the Hawthorne Bridge in the distance. In the foreground is the building occupied by the Jenning's furniture store at 5th and Washington streets (now Southwest 5th Avenue and Southwest Washington street). In the distance at center, just to the right of the bridge, is the Yeon Building.

Side view of entrance to Kamm Block, Pine Street, Portland

Photograph, taken from the side, showing the exterior of the ornate entrance to the Kamm block on Pine Street (now Southwest Pine Street) between Front and First in Portland. Above the doorway is a balcony; just below the balcony are two male figures carved to look as though they are supporting the balcony on their backs. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Attractive entry to Kamm Block built in 1884.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, and 371N5470, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Speedboats on Willamette River in Portland

Photograph of three unidentified people driving speedboats on the Willamette River in Portland. The word “Inverness” is visible on the side of the boat at left. A single-masted boat is moored in the background. Also see image Nos. 371N5184, 371N5984, and 371N5986.

Studio Building at corner of West Park and Taylor, Portland

Photograph showing the nine-story Studio Building at West Park and Taylor streets (now Southwest 9th Avenue and Southwest Taylor Street) in Portland. To the right is the attached theater, which later became the Guild Theatre. The building was completed in 1927. The photograph was taken from Taylor Street and the view is toward the northwest.

The Home Plate restaurant, Southeast 49th and Hawthorne, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of The Home Plate restaurant at Southeast 49th Avenue and Southeast Hawthorne Boulevard in Portland. An unidentified man in an apron is standing in front of the building. The view is to the north. Across the top of the building are the words “ICES / ALES / CANDY / TOBACCO.” Below that are the words “THE HOME PLATE / ‘HAMBURGERS AND OTHERS.’ “ Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Third Oregon Regiment marching in patriotic pageant at Portland Rose Festival

Photograph showing members of the Third Oregon Regiment marching in a patriotic parade in downtown Portland during the Rose Festival on Thursday, June 14, 1917. The street is lined with spectators A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 7, Section 3, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, June 17, 1917, under the headline “Oregon’s Men in Arms Inspiring Feature of Flag Day Parade on Thursday Afternoon.” The photograph had the following caption: Men of Third Oregon Regiment passing east on Morrison Street through lanes of spectators thrilled at this spectacle of military preparedness.” See related image Nos. 376G0105, 376G0106, 376G0153, 376G0154, 376G0155, 376G0156, 376G0157, and 376G0159.

Two people working on Hollywood Arcade building prior to opening of Arcade Public Market

Photograph, taken from across the street, showing the exterior of the Hollywood Arcade building at East 41st Street North and Sandy Boulevard (now Northeast 41st Avenue and Northeast Sandy Boulevard) in Portland. The building was adjacent to the Hollywood Theatre, which is partially visible at the far left edge of the photograph. At center, two unidentified people are standing on a platform and working on the front of the building. In front of the building are small piles of debris. Bunting is hung from the roof of the building. On the building at upper center is a sign that reads: “ARCADE PUBLIC MARKET / SOUTH SIDE of SANDY at 41st / OPENING DEC. 19.” The photograph was taken in 1931.

Results 29 to 56 of 69