Buildings--Oregon--Portland

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Buildings--Oregon--Portland

Equivalent terms

Buildings--Oregon--Portland

Associated terms

Buildings--Oregon--Portland

79 Collections results for Buildings--Oregon--Portland

79 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

10th and Washington streets, downtown Portland

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing cars and buildings along Washington Street (now Southwest Washington Street) in Portland. The photograph was taken at the intersection of Washington and 10th Street (now Southwest 10th Avenue) and the view is to the southeast. On the left side of the image is a sign for the Northwestern Electric Co., located in the Pittock Block. A sign for The Hazelwood restaurant is visible on the building in the foreground at right.

3rd and Burnside, Portland

Photograph, taken from the center of the street, looking west on Burnside Street in Portland. The photograph was taken from approximately Third and Burnside (now Northwest Third Avenue and West Burnside Street). The photograph shows the buildings along Burnside and vehicles in motion. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Artisans Building, Broadway and Oak, Portland

Photograph showing the Artisans Building at the northwest corner of Broadway and Oak (now Southwest Broadway and Southwest Oak Street) in Portland. The Lumbermens Trust Company is on the ground floor. The photograph was taken from a high angle on the southeast corner of the intersection.

Auto glass shop at corner of Southeast 7th Avenue near Morrison?, Portland

Photograph showing a two-story building on a corner of Southeast Seventh Avenue in Portland, possibly near Southeast Morrison Street. On the ground floor of the building is an auto-glass shop. At left center are directional signs pointing to the Morrison Bridge and City Center. At far left are billboards advertising paint and Camel cigarettes.

Bank of British Columbia building, Front and Ankeny, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the Bank of British Columbia building at Front and Ankeny streets in downtown Portland. The building is three stories and has arched windows. Wooden barriers block off the front of the building, and a crane is parked at left. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Bank of British Columbia bldg Front & Ankeny, Portland’s second bank.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Broadway, downtown Portland, looking north

Photograph, taken from the center of the street, looking north up Broadway (now Southwest Broadway) in Portland. The photograph shows an oncoming streetcar at center and buildings and parked cars along the street. Banners are hanging above the street, and signs posted on each lamppost along Broadway read: “FOLLOW THE ROSY PATH TO / BROADWAY / BROADWAY THEATRE DAY / AUG. 27.” A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 6, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal city edition on Thursday, August 26, 1926. It was published under the headline “Portland’s Own Bright Way.” The photograph had the following caption: “Broadway, looking north from Main street, showing the entrance of the new $1,000,000 Broadway theatre at the right and The Journal building in the right background. This street will be the scene of the Mardi Gras celebrating the opening of the theatre Friday night.”

Building at 16th and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph of a seven-story building at the corner of 16th and Yamhill streets (now Southwest 16th Avenue and Southwest Yamhill Street) in Portland. A sign for the Hotel Mallory is visible at upper right. Image note: Photograph quality is poor due to extensive deterioration of the negative.

Building at First and Alder, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of a three-story building at the corner of 1st and Alder streets (now Southwest 1st Avenue and Southwest Alder Street) in Portland. The building has a mansard roof and arched windows on the upper stories. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Once occupied by Emil Weber’s gambling hall / Now used as P E P Co’s [Portland Electric Power Company’s] interurban station.” See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Building at Southeast Union Avenue and Southeast Alder Street, Portland

Photograph showing a two-story building at the corner of Southeast Union Avenue (now Southeast Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard) and Southeast Alder Street in Portland. The view is to the east along Alder. On the corner of the building are signs reading “ORE-WA Packing Co.” “W. W. Swank Co. / 401 / Brokers / 401.” At center is a sign for J. L. Austin Sheet Metal Works. See related image No. 372A1223. Image note: Light leak on negative.

Building at Southeast Union Avenue and Southeast Alder Street, Portland

Photograph showing a two-story building at the corner of Southeast Union Avenue (now Southeast Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard) and Southeast Alder Street in Portland. On the corner of the building are signs reading “ORE-WA Packing Co.” and “W. W. Swank Co. / 401 / Brokers / 401.” At far left is the building depicted in image No. 372A1217. See related image No. 372A1223. Image note: Light leak on negative.

Buildings on Jersey Street?, St. Johns, Portland

Photograph, taken from the street, showing a row of buildings, in St. Johns, Portland, possibly on Jersey Street. On the building at center left is a sign for Bonham and Currier; on the building at center is a sign for the Peninsula Security. On the building at far right is a sign for the Peninsula National Bank. The number 5 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image.

Burnside Street at Broadway, Portland

Photograph showing buildings and parked cars along Burnside Street (now Northwest Burnside Street) in Portland. The photograph was taken from the intersection of Burnside and Broadway and the view is roughly to the east. Visible in the photograph are signs for (from far left) Brockman Printing, the D. & D. Restaurant, Arnold’s Drugs, and the Hotel Glenwood.

Carstens Packing Company, Front Street, Portland

Photograph, taken from across the street, showing a truck parked outside a three-story brick building on Front Street between Stark and Washington in downtown Portland. A sign on the front of the building reads “Carstens Packing Co.” A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Original home of Ladd & Tilton Bank on Front Street / The first two stories were Portland’s first brick building / Built in 1853.” Wharton reported that the third story had been added later. See related image Nos. 371N5380, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

East Main Street and Union Avenue, Portland

Photograph taken at East Main Street and Union Avenue (now Southeast Main Street and Southeast Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard). The photograph shows the view south down Union Avenue, the buildings lining the street, and vehicles. The number 11 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the photograph. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Eastern Outfitting building, 10th and Washington, downtown Portland

Photograph showing the Eastern Outfitting building at 10th and Washington streets (now Southwest 10th Avenue and Southwest Washington Street) in downtown Portland shortly before it opened in March 1930. A cropped version of this photograph was one of four photographs that were published together on Page 9 of the Oregon Journal city edition on Sunday, March 16, 1930. The photographs, all related to the Eastern Outfitting Company and its president, Joseph Shemanski, were published under the headline “Huge Mercantile Venture Had Simple Beginning.” This photograph had the following caption: The new 8-story Eastern building at the southwest corner of 10th and Washington streets, which will be dedicated this week and which houses Shemanski's Eastern Outfitting company and Henry Jenning & Sons’ furniture establishment.” The photographs accompanied a story about Shemanski and his company. The story was headlined “Associates Say Shemanski Rare Business Leader” and had the subheading “Pioneer in Installment Sales Lauded; Will Open New Building March 20th.”

Esmond rooming house, Front and Morrison, Portland

Photograph showing a four-story building on Front and Morrison streets (now Southwest Morrison Street) in Portland. The building has bay windows on the second and third floors. On the ground floor is a sign for Oregon Sheet Metal Works. The 1905 Morrison Bridge is partially visible in the background. A cropped version of this photograph was part of a two-page spread in the Oregon Journal’s Sunday magazine on February 26, 1928. The spread, on Pages 4 and 5, was devoted to a story by Wallace S. Wharton about the history of the Portland waterfront and the buildings on First and Front streets. Wharton reflected on the changes that would occur as a result of the construction, then in progress, of Portland’s west-side harbor wall and redevelopment of the waterfront. He noted that many of the “stately old buildings along First and Front streets face destruction, or remodeling to such an extent that the reminiscent charm of their present environment will be lost.” Accompanying the story were 15 photos, primarily of buildings in the area. Across the top of the spread was the headline “IN THE PATH OF CIVIC PROGRESS — STRUCTURES OF ANOTHER DAY.” Below the headline on Page 4 was the subheading “Splendid Bits of Old Architecture Once Called Equal of Finest in Gotham of the Same Period.” Below the headline on Page 5 was the subheading “Waterfront Development Gives New Significance to Portland’s Old-Time Business Center.” This photograph had the following caption: “Last wing of the New Esmond Hotel - Front & Morrison Sts.” The story reported that the hotel opened in 1878, but only the portion of the building shown in this photograph remained in 1928, and it operated as the Esmond rooming house. See related image Nos. 371N5379, 371N5384, 371N5385, 371N5397, 371N5418, 371N5470, and 371N5857, which were published on the same spread.

Norr, Roy (Photographer)

Firefighters climbing to roof of building at Second and Pine, Portland

Photograph showing fire trucks parked outside a building on Pine Street at Second in Portland (now Southwest Pine Street and Southwest Second Avenue). A ladder extends from one of the trucks to the roof of the building, and several firefighters are carrying a hose up the ladder. Two more men are standing on the roof of the building. A related photograph, image No. 373G458, was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. That photograph was one of seven published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. Also see additional related image No. 373G0456. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 132 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Firefighters climbing to roof of building at Second and Pine, Portland

Photograph showing fire trucks parked outside a building on Pine Street at Second in Portland (now Southwest Pine Street and Southwest Second Avenue) in 1913. A ladder extends from one of the trucks to the roof of the building, and several firefighters are carrying a hose up the ladder. Two more men are standing on the roof of the building. A related photograph, image No. 373G458, was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. That photograph was one of seven published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. Also see additional related image No. 373G0457. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 131 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Firefighters on ladder, Pine Street, Portland

Photograph showing four firefighters on a ladder extending straight upward from a truck parked on Pine Street (now Southwest Pine Street) in Portland between Second and Third. The sides of the image have been masked out. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 7 of a special year-end section in the Oregon Journal on Saturday, December 27, 1913. It was one of seven photographs published under the headline “Portland Affords Adequate Protection Against Fire.” This photograph had the following caption: “Auto Aerial Truck.” The photographs accompanied a story about the expansion and cost of the fire department and the number of fire alarms in 1913. See related image Nos. 373G0456 and 373G0457. Image note: The number 120 is written on the negative and is faintly visible in the upper left corner of the image. The number 215 was also written on the negative, then crossed out.

Four-story brick building, 22nd and Sandy, Portland

Photograph showing a four-story brick building at Northeast Sandy Boulevard and Northeast 22nd Avenue in Portland. The building has a hexagonal gable with a tile roof. The view is of the northeast side of the building. On the right side of the photograph is a sign on the building for “Peake The Shade Man.”

Hollywood Arcade building, 41st and Sandy, Portland

Photograph showing the two-story Hollywood Arcade building at East 41st Street North and Sandy Boulevard (now Northeast 41st Avenue and Northeast Sandy Boulevard) in Portland. The building was adjacent to the Hollywood Theatre. Signs for the following businesses are visible on the ground floor): Gene’s Sandwich Shop; Ziegler’s Drug Store; Kienow’s Market; and Reihsen’s Better Meats. On the second floor are signs for the Hollywood College of Music and Ballet; J. W. Cormany Real Estate; and Silvanus Kingsley, lawyer.

Hotel and retail building, 4th and Salmon, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of a four-story building at 4th and Salmon streets (now Southwest 4th Avenue and Southwest Salmon Street) in Portland. On the ground floor are signs for the German-American Daily Paper, the Hotel Maryland-Virginia, the Motorcycle & Supply Co., and the Hotel Rowland. Image note: Negative damage at top center.

Jersey Street?, St. Johns, Portland

Photograph, taken from the center of the road, showing the view down a street, possibly Jersey Street, in St. Johns, Portland. On the side of the building at center right is a sign that reads “H. E. CLARK / THE FURNITURE MAN.” The number 4 is written on the negative and is visible in the lower right corner of the image.

John K. Leander Company auto dealership, Broadway North and Everett Street, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the John K. Leander Co. car dealership in Portland. The photograph was taken at the corner of Broadway North and Everett Street (now Northwest Broadway and Northwest Everett Street). See related image No. 371N5409, depicting the adjoining Leander service shop, and 371N5510. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Results 1 to 28 of 79