Building construction--Oregon--Portland

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

  • TGM/LCSH

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Building construction--Oregon--Portland

Equivalent terms

Building construction--Oregon--Portland

Associated terms

Building construction--Oregon--Portland

17 Collections results for Building construction--Oregon--Portland

17 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Frank J. Cobbs house and grounds, Montgomery Drive, Portland

Photograph, taken from a high angle, showing the grounds and Jacobethan home of Frank J. Cobbs during construction in 1918. The home, located at what is now 2424 SW Montgomery Drive in Portland, was designed by architect Albert E. Doyle. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 373G0503 were published on Page 22 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, July 7, 1918. The photographs were published under the headline “Handsome Cobbs Home Nears Completion.” The pictures had the following caption: “Beautiful new home being built on Montgomery Drive for Frank J. Cobbs at a cost of approximately $150,000.” The photographs accompanied a story about the home.

Frank J. Cobbs house, Montgomery Drive, Portland

Photograph, taken from the road, showing the Jacobethan home of Frank J. Cobbs during construction in 1918. The home, located at what is now 2424 SW Montgomery Drive in Portland, was designed by architect Albert E. Doyle. A cropped version of this photograph and image No. 373G0502 were published on Page 22 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, July 7, 1918. The photographs were published under the headline “Handsome Cobbs Home Nears Completion.” The pictures had the following caption: “Beautiful new home being built on Montgomery Drive for Frank J. Cobbs at a cost of approximately $150,000.” The photographs accompanied a story about the home.

Journal Building, Broadway and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph, taken from a high vantage, showing the Journal Building at Broadway and Yamhill Street (now Southwest Broadway and Southwest Yamhill Street) in Portland. The view is toward the southeast. Workers are visible in some of the windows and at the entrance. The photograph may have been taken in 1912, when the building was still under construction. It was completed that year.

Journal Building under construction at Broadway and Yamhill, Portland

Photograph, taken from a high vantage, showing the Journal Building during construction at Broadway and Yamhill (now Southwest Broadway and Southwest Yamhill Street) in Portland in 1912. It was completed later that year. The building is now known as the Jackson Tower. Text that appears to be “3X34” or “3434” and the number 409 are written on the negative and are visible I the upper left corner of the image.

Multnomah County Hospital under construction on Marquam Hill, Portland

Photograph showing one of the wings of the Multnomah County Hospital under construction on Marquam Hill in Portland in 1921. A photograph published on Page 3, Section 3 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, June 26, 1921, may be a composite image created from this photograph, image No. 376G0171, and image No. 376G0172. That photograph had the headline “New Multnomah County Hospital on Marquam Hill” and the caption “The new Multnomah county hospital under construction on Marquam hill adjoining the University of Oregon medical school, which will be ready for occupancy in about one year. When completed, the plan t [sic], which will have accommodations for over 200 patients, will represent an investment of approximately one million dollars.”

Multnomah County Hospital under construction on Marquam Hill, Portland

Photograph showing one of the wings of the Multnomah County Hospital under construction on Marquam Hill in Portland in 1921. A photograph published on Page 3, Section 3 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, June 26, 1921, may be a composite image created from this photograph, image No. 376G0170, and image No. 376G0172. That photograph had the headline “New Multnomah County Hospital on Marquam Hill” and the caption “The new Multnomah county hospital under construction on Marquam hill adjoining the University of Oregon medical school, which will be ready for occupancy in about one year. When completed, the plan t [sic], which will have accommodations for over 200 patients, will represent an investment of approximately one million dollars.”

Multnomah County Hospital under construction on Marquam Hill, Portland

Photograph showing the Multnomah County Hospital under construction on Marquam Hill in Portland in 1921. A photograph published on Page 3, Section 3 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, June 26, 1921, may be a composite image created from this photograph, image No. 376G0170, and image No. 376G0171. That photograph had the headline “New Multnomah County Hospital on Marquam Hill” and the caption “The new Multnomah county hospital under construction on Marquam hill adjoining the University of Oregon medical school, which will be ready for occupancy in about one year. When completed, the plan t [sic], which will have accommodations for over 200 patients, will represent an investment of approximately one million dollars.”

Construction of federal courthouse, SW Main and Broadway, Portland

Photograph showing the exterior of the federal courthouse, now the Gus J. Solomon United States Courthouse, in downtown Portland while it was under construction 1932 or 1933. There is scaffolding around the top story of the structure. This photograph shows the corner of the building at Southwest Main Street and SW Broadway. Also see image Nos. 374N0786, 374N0787, and 374N0786, which show earlier phases of construction.

Construction of federal courthouse, SW 6th and Main, Portland

Photograph, taken in 1932 or 1933, showing the exterior of the federal courthouse, now the Gus J. Solomon United States Courthouse, while it was under construction in downtown Portland. This photograph was taken at Southwest Sixth Avenue and Southwest Main Street and predominantly shows the Main Street side of the building. The bell tower of the First Congregational Church is visible in the background at right. The courthouse opened in 1933. Also see image Nos. 374N0787, 374N0788, and 371N5408. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Construction of federal courthouse, Portland

Photograph, taken in 1932 or 1933, showing the partially completed upper levels of the federal courthouse, now the Gus J. Solomon United States Courthouse, in downtown Portland. In the background at upper left is the tower of the Public Service Building. The courthouse is bordered by Southwest Broadway, Southwest Madison Street, Southwest 6th Avenue, and Southwest Main Street. The courthouse opened in 1933. Also see image Nos. 374N0786, 374N0788, and 371N5408.

Construction of federal courthouse, SW 6th and Main, Portland

Photograph, taken in 1932 or 1933, showing the exterior of the federal courthouse, now the Gus J. Solomon United States Courthouse, while it was under construction in downtown Portland. This photograph was taken at Southwest Sixth Avenue and Southwest Main Street and predominantly shows the Main Street side of the building. The bell tower of the First Congregational Church is visible in the background at right. The courthouse opened in 1933. Also see image Nos. 374N0786, 374N0787, and 371N5408. Image note: Photograph shows discoloration due to deterioration of the negative.

Neighbors of Woodcraft building under construction?, 14th and Morrison streets, Portland

Photograph showing the Neighbors of Woodcraft building at 14th and Morrison streets (now Southwest 14th Avenue and Southwest Morrison Street) in Portland. The photograph may have been taken in 1928 or 1929, while the building was under construction; the main entrance on Morrison appears incomplete, and sandbags and other materials are piled next to the building on 14th. The building is now known as the Tiffany Center.

Mayer Building under construction, 12th and Morrison, Portland

Photograph showing the Mayer Building under construction at 12th and Morrison streets (now Southwest 12th Avenue and Southwest Morrison Street) in Portland. The view is of the northwest corner of the building. The ground floor is incomplete and open to the street; a small wooden shed and stacks of lumber are visible inside. A cropped version of this photograph was one of five that were published on Page 2, Section 2 of the Oregon Journal city edition on Sunday, November 14, 1926. The photographs were published under the headline “New Homes and Buildings in Various Parts of Portland.” This photograph had the following caption: “The Mayer building, 12th and Morrison streets, designed by Harold P. Bergen, and to be completed December 1.” On the same page was a story about the building; it had the headline “Mayer Building Is Expected To Be Ready Dec. 1” and the subheading “Structure to Cost $350,000 Is Designed Especially for Medical and Allied Professions.”

Addition under construction at Montgomery Ward, Portland

Photograph showing an addition under construction at the Montgomery Ward warehouse in Portland in March 1936. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 5, Section 2, of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, March 29, 1936, under the headline “Pouring Third Floor Block at Ward’s.” The photograph had the following caption: “Building activity is at high gear on this $750,000 project at Montgomery Ward & Co. mail order and retail center at N. W. 27th avenue and Vaughn Street, as 150 men push the nine-story addition into the air.” The photograph accompanied a story headlined “Montgomery Ward Project On Schedule.” Image note: The text “Mont - Ward 3/26/36” is written on the negative and is faintly visible in the lower right corner of the image.

Montgomery Ward building, Portland, September 1920

Photograph showing the exterior of the nine-story Montgomery Ward warehouse in Portland in September 1920, several months before it opened. A cropped version of this photograph was published on Page 6 of the Oregon Journal on Sunday, September 5, 1920, under the headline “Montgomery Ward Building at Guilds Lake.” The photograph had the following caption: “Pacific coast distributing headquarters of Montgomery Ward & Co., located on a 10-acre tract bounded by Twenty-Seventh, Twenty-ninth, Wilson, and Vaughn streets. The plant will begin operations with 1000 employes [sic] about January 1.” The photograph accompanied a story about the building, headlined “Montgomery Ward Plant to Open January 1.” Also see image No. 376G0168, which may be related. Image note: The text “Montgomery Ward construction” is written on the negative sleeve.